Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you host your own DNS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do you host your own DNS?

matessimmatessim Member
edited April 2012 in General

Currently, I'm using Cloudflare and i am pretty satisfied(I've also been using it for a while now).
I was wondering, do most of you run your own DNS Servers(And if so, with what? Bind? On a low end box?).
Or do you use some hosted solution? And if so which and what's your take on it?.

Comments

• I use dns.he.net

One day I will do my geolocated DNS :P Otherwise, I prefer to unload that service to another company :P

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • I run NSD3 on Deb6 on a few of my VPS distributed across the US.

• Nah.

I use Linode DNS, never ever had an issue with it.

• My 4 LEB NSD cluster works great.

• I use cloudns.net

• I use MaraDNS and 3 different vps for redundancy. Cheap, easy and fast!

Thanked by 1nabo
  • InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

I used to have a NSD cluster but it got too messy with downtime and all, I intended to go to dns.he.net temporarily but I've never actually had the time or been bothered to go back to NSD.

I'll get round to it one day.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Used to do my own...got lazy and use my registrar's (Internetbs.net)

As a hosting company, I'll have to go back to it.

NSD is definitely the way to go if all you want is simple authority and low resource use.

• I host my own, using nsd and a custom php/sqlite app for management.

Well, actually I've only got about 60 domains moved onto it yet. More to come. Here's nsd on the primary nameserver:

[root@xxx:~] ps aux | grep ^nsd
    nsd      18125  0.0  0.3   4204   688 ?        S    Apr05   0:00 /usr/sbin/nsd -c /etc/nsd3/nsd.conf
    nsd      18126  0.0  0.5   4692  1032 ?        S    Apr05   0:02 /usr/sbin/nsd -c /etc/nsd3/nsd.conf
    nsd      32265  0.0  0.5  10996  1080 ?        S    Mar29   0:00 /usr/sbin/nsd -c /etc/nsd3/nsd.conf
  • Using my registrar's (name.com)

• self hosted here with maradns, just one server.

works nicely for me.

• NickMNickM Member

I mostly host my own (BIND 9 on one server, nsd3 on the other), but I have two domains behind cloudflare as well.

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • debugdebug Member

I use Linode's DNS, however one day I might just self-host, for the fun of it :P

• I would like a tutorial on how to use NSD3 to create my own DNS cluster out of LEB's.

• KuroKuro Member

I'm currently running NSD3, but planning a switch to gdnsd (I need geolocation based replies for one of my zones).

• I use cloudflare too. It is has super simple web interface, which I like. Just wish it had automatic fallover.

• I've been using using powerdns with power admin but that's pretty resource heavy. Also keeping the database up to date, as providers close, server IP address change etc. it's all got a bit messy.

• I also use dns.he.net. I may delete my dns box as I don't need self hosted dns.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@birdie25 said: I would like a tutorial on how to use NSD3 to create my own DNS cluster out of LEB's.

Here's a start:

http://freevps.us/thread-2349.html

When I used NSD, I didn't do zone transfers - just scp'd the zone files and reloaded on each NS. If you have very frequent DNS changes that probably isn't the solution.

• I currently use PointHQ.
    Nice interface, and I generally don't need to worry about anything.

Generally speaking, I trust these providers to know how to keep these nameservers up, and it's far cheaper (free) than having loads of name servers floating around with the highly likely chance of me fudging something up.

• NickWNickW Member

Yes, I host my own as I have 300+ domains and it would be a nightmare otherwise and the cost with a separate provider would be astronomical in comparison.

I run PowerDNS with the generic MySQL backend on an InnoDB database. Makes mass updates so simple as I just have to run an SQL query on the database. All of the servers use MySQL replication so that updates propagate across them all almost instantly.

126 MB memory footprint on one of the dedicated DNS boxes.

# free -m
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:           490        202        288          0         22         53
    -/+ buffers/cache:        126        364
    Swap:         4095         14       4081

Thanked by 1geekalot
  • @NickW Same setup for me (powerdns+mysql), with about 3500 zones. Was using mydns before.

Thanked by 1geekalot
  • sleddogsleddog Member
    edited April 2012

@raindog308 said: When I used NSD, I didn't do zone transfers - just scp'd the zone files and reloaded on each NS.

When a zone is added or deleted you only need copy the nsd zone configuration (not zone files). I put those configurations in 'zones.conf', include it in nsd.conf, and then rsync 'zones.conf' to the secondary servers (when a zone is added or deleted). Then reload each secondary and it updates any added/deleted zones. When an existing zone is updated on the master, you just use 'nsd notify' on the master and the secondaries get the changes. All that can be scripted :)

• I use my own, bind9 with zonesync from Master.

Austria, Bulgaria, UK, Sweden, Germany, Czech rep, Netherlands :)

• nabonabo Member

I use MaraDNS and host my DNS on my own on different VPS in different locations: Germany, Austria, France, UK and USA.

• I'm using Zerigo for my DNS now - easier than finding/managing/paying-for 3-5 VPSs to run my DNS.

• MiscisMiscis Member
    edited April 2012

For personal sites - Zerigo
    For business sites/client sites - a cluster in Los Angeles, Scranton, Italy, and Germany

• tommytommy Member

for personal sites : I use my own dns server, using 3 low end vps just for fun. Hosted about 20 domain

• KeithKeith Member

I use nsd3 for the master with powerdns for the slaves.
    All dns changes done with nano on my desktop.

• u4iau4ia Member

Linode's DNS has never done me wrong. One of these days I might try my own on a LEB, just to learn.