Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subscribe to our newsletter

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

Latest LowEndBox Offers

Kimsufi Dedi for 14.99 EUR!?
    New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

Kimsufi Dedi for 14.99 EUR!?

littleguylittleguy Member
    edited April 2012 in General

Most of you guys probably know about this, but I just found it and can't believe the prices!

Sure, it's not technically LEB, and it's an Atom, but 1TB disk + guaranteed disk I/O and unlimited 100mbp - quite awesome in that price range.

http://www.kimsufi.ie/

Comments

• We already know this...
      Everyone here knows this, so why are u telling us?

• Now contact their support.

• @breton said: Now contact their support.

What support?

Thanked by 1Steve81

The Original Daniel.

• @Daniel said: What support?

That

• With the VAT it's like €19.

Ponies are g&y.

• DamianDamian Member
      edited April 2012

Did it go up? Wasn't it 13.99 EUR?

Also, unlimited 100mbit is unlimited until you use 5 terabytes. Then it's not.

• pcanpcan Member

@littleguy: if you are interested in this kind of extreme low-budget dedicated servers, with all the involved shortcomings, but also with some benefit over a similarly priced VPS, a better deal at the same price is http://www.online.net/. They at least use Dell hardware and a virtualization capable processor.

• @pcan said: @littleguy: if you are interested in this kind of extreme low-budget dedicated servers, with all the involved shortcomings, but also with some benefit over a similarly priced VPS, a better deal at the same price is http://www.online.net/. They at least use Dell hardware and a virtualization capable processor.

What language is that?

The Original Daniel.

• tuxtux Member

@Daniel said: What language is that?

French?

• French

• exaviornexaviorn Member
      edited April 2012

@Daniel said: What language is that?

French
      Edit: too slow :(

• AdamAdam Member

@pcan only French citizens/residents

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
      edited April 2012

@Adam said: @pcan only French citizens/residents

How comes?

Isn't that technically against the EU regulation regarding fair trade.

The Original Daniel.

• @Daniel i doubt the EU can force me to accept a customer i don't want to accept.

-

• @rds100 said: @Daniel i doubt the EU can force me to accept a customer i don't want to accept.

No, but its basically saying. "We won't let you order despite you being in the EU".

The Original Daniel.

• @Daniel yes, and i don't see a problem with that or why the EU would have something to say about it.

-

• So let's get this straight?

This is a clear example of the French being stroppy again?

The Original Daniel.

• pcanpcan Member

@Adam: I am not french resident and I had no problems with them, some time ago. Also the term of service document is still the same and does non mention nationality (of course). Do they refused the service to you?

edited April 2012

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/shopping/shopping-abroad/buying-services/index_en.htm

"For these types of services, and others, you have the right to buy from a service provider located in another EU country without having the seller refuse to sell to you simply because you live in a different EU country."

Edit: Didn't read it fully, may not apply to online goods?

MORE EDIT

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/shopping/online-shopping/when-things-go-wrong/index_en.htm

It is illegal for online stores based in the EU to refuse to sell to customers in a different EU country.

For example, if you attempt to buy music or books over the internet from a seller based in the EU but are prevented from doing so, or redirected to your national web-store (which may have different products or prices), simply because you live in a different EU country, then the on-line seller is acting illegally.

Therefore if Online.net refuses to sell, they are breaking the law.

The Original Daniel.

• You do not necessarily enjoy the same rights with certain services, notably financial and transport services.

-

• Anyway, the EU is just full ot shit and stupid/unnecessary regulations.

-

edited April 2012

@rds100 said: Anyway, the EU is just full ot shit and stupid/unnecessary regulations.

Well that regulation I posted seems to be fairly good.

Loads of EU regulations are good, e.g. the mobile phone regulation is the strictest in the world, but look how awesome our market is.

The Original Daniel.

• @Damian said: 13.99 EUR?

It is £13.99

I know, I'm Dale Maily.

• tuxtux Member

Or 17.90 € (incl. VAT) (http://www.kimsufi.fi/)

• Online.net don't just sell to France, i emailed them.

The Original Daniel.

• LOL Via Nano :P

• RophRoph Member

I wouldn't knock VIA Nanos, they give Atoms a run for their money. VIA just doesn't have the capital to get Nanos out there in the same way that Intel does for Atoms.

• @Roph said: I wouldn't knock VIA Nanos, they give Atoms a run for their money. VIA just doesn't have the capital to get Nanos out there in the same way that Intel does for Atoms.

Agree :P
      Just is uncommon

• @pcan said: involved shortcomings

Tell me more about the shortcomings? :)

• @pcan said: if you are interested in this kind of extreme low-budget dedicated servers, with all the involved shortcomings, but also with some benefit over a similarly priced VPS, a better deal at the same price is http://www.online.net/

Thanks for sharing this...while I don't mind at all dealing with someone whose primary language isn't mine, having a site only in their language makes it difficult to navigate.

Now I'm curious...who else is the low-end-dedi leader?

The only problem with these systems is the single hard drive, which means I could never trust them. But they might be excellent for yet another backup...

For LET support, please visit the interim support desk.

Over the past few months we have been met with many challenges within the moderation business. Some that have not been overcome.

• Online.net only allow French banks, which is still a bit iffy and against the law, but what can you do? its the French.

French companies don't like providing their site in English.

The Original Daniel.

• @Daniel said: French companies don't like providing their site in English.

Racism!!! Waaaaaaa!
      Daniel VS France
      France vs World

LOL

• WilliamWilliam Member, Provider
      edited April 2012

@Daniel said: Online.net only allow French banks, which is still a bit iffy and against the law, but what can you do? its the French.

If you annoy them long enough, prefferably in French and citing EU laws/regulations (again in French) they will accept your order.
      They will also book from German bank accounts then or let you do a simple bank transfer (only in euro though).

• Nah, the French are alright (most of them).

Its been Britain vs France for centuries, but its mostly because Britain has pissed off every single country on this planet.

The Original Daniel.

• How come there are no French people in this forum?

-

edited April 2012

@rds100 said: How come there are no French people in this forum?

Because its a English speaking site (with the odd bit of russian). French people prefer to stay to French websites despite the fact that most of them speak English and can understand most of the web.

The Original Daniel.

• Yes but here there are also people from China, Finland, Denmark, Austria or many other countries where English is not the first language. Seems strange that i have seen no french here (or maybe there are, i just don't know).

-

• RophRoph Member

We're a bunch of commoners? :P

• pcanpcan Member

@littleguy said: Tell me more about the shortcomings? :)

On my (limited) experience, the main drawbacks of this kind of extreme low-end dedi are:
      1) very slow cpu and i/o, slower than the single/dual core you get with equally priced VPS.
      2) no good way to debug the boot process. If you misconfigure the operating system or something goes horribly wrong, you have to open a ticket, wait, and maybe be charged.
      3) low priority when you open a ticket. Most VPS issues are node related, and impact many users: the provider is likely to trubleshoot the problem ASAP. If your low-cost, low-margin unmanaged dedi does not work, the provider is unlikely to fix it in short time.

• @rds100 said: Yes but here there are also people from China, Finland, Denmark, Austria or many other countries where English is not the first language. Seems strange that i have seen no french here (or maybe there are, i just don't know).

As I said, French people like to retain to French sites, its embarrassing in France to know how to speak English, but they all do it anyway.

The Original Daniel.

• That's funny, I never got that impression from any of my trips there.

edited April 2012

@Aldryic said: That's funny, I never got that impression from any of my trips there.

Whenever I go France, and I say say "Do you speak English" because I speak no french, I always get the impression that they do, and they REALLY don't want to.

50% of all the signs/posters I see in France are in English. It annoys the French

Their president speaks fluent English, but will always use an interpreter when speaking to someone who speaks English but doesn't speak French.

The Original Daniel.

• @Daniel, Indeed... French people are arrogant. They want you to speak there language when you are in there country. They don't worry if your tourist or not.

Back to topic: Online.net -> only if you got a french back account , and want to learn french to talk to support :-)

• debugdebug Member

@StableVDS said: and want to learn french to talk to support :-)

Or you can use Google Translate and hope that what you get is "somewhat" right...heh

• lbftlbft Member
      edited April 2012

@pcan said: no good way to debug the boot process. If you misconfigure the operating system or something goes horribly wrong, you have to open a ticket, wait, and maybe be charged.

Once nice thing about OVH is that they've got a system where your server netboots an image that boots your system inside a VM - so you get VNC for everything after the BIOS. You can also netboot a recovery image.

If your low-cost, low-margin unmanaged dedi does not work, the provider is unlikely to fix it in short time.

I buggered up a grub setting on my OVH box and had to use the above "vKVM" process to fix it. After the server was down for a few minutes (while I figured out how to use that system) their system automatically created an "intervention" ticket for a tech to fix it. I have no idea what the response times would be like on such a thing, I got it working too quick to find out (and the system automatically cancelled the ticket). Still, a pretty smooth process.

I would imagine you'd be up the creek without a paddle if you had a complex or intermittent issue (especially with the language barrier).

very slow cpu and i/o

Mine has an Atom D425 (1.8GHz single core + hyperthreading). If you had bursty CPU needs, then it'd definitely be slower than a good-quality VPS, but if you had consistent CPU use then you could do more than you could on most VPS providers (no LEB is going to let you eat half a core 24/7).

The I/O is pretty reasonable. You've got a SATA disk to yourself. Mine's a pretty fast 7200 RPM disk and it can push ~100 MB/s and I can rip as many IOPS as the drive can handle without bothering anyone. For bursty loads or particular usage patterns it might be better to be on a VPS backed by an appropriate RAID (again, as long as you're not hogging a shared resource too much).

@littleguy said: unlimited 100mbp

You get shaped down to 10mbps if you go over 5 TB of bandwidth in a month according to the non-French Kimsufi sites. There's a star on the word 'unlimited' and a note in the fine print. Most people wouldn't push that much data on a low-end server but if you maxed out the line you could theoretically do it in as little as 5 days. Still, if you were doing plain file serving I'm sure you could manage it. If you maxed out your line (pre- and post-limit) you'd be able to do ~7.8 TB total, versus ~32.9 TB uncapped.

I have to order from the French site (kimsufi.com/ovh.com) because I'm not covered by any of OVH's subsidiaries (which sucks because I don't speak a word of French, but at least their panel and support are available in English even if their billing system isn't). The panel/manager shows my server as "unlimited", but I don't know whether that means the 5TB limit doesn't apply (you could argue that the traffic is unlimited, just the speed isn't).

• lbftlbft Member

@Daniel said: It annoys the French

The French language is a point of pride for France, with a history of protection/conservatism/paranoia (e.g. the Académie française (thank you Wikipedia for knowing how to spell that)). French was once the language of international communication and yet today it's fading in that sphere. It's also coming under the influence of English through electronic media.

Having your language and influence dropping globally in favour of the language of a country you've got an ongoing rivalry with upsets some people. People also tend to get pissy about language change of any sort.

Still, given the amount of Old French injected into English during the Norman Conquest, I like to think of it as payback ;)

• debugdebug Member

@lbft said: I have to order from the French site (kimsufi.com/ovh.com) because I'm not covered by any of OVH's subsidiaries (which sucks because I don't speak a word of French, but at least their panel and support are available in English even if their billing system isn't). The panel/manager shows my server as "unlimited", but I don't know whether that means the 5TB limit doesn't apply (you could argue that the traffic is unlimited, just the speed isn't).

Where do you live? Just wondering

• lbftlbft Member

@debug said: Where do you live?

Australia.

• pcanpcan Member

@ibft: Tanks for sharing your positive experience on Kimsufi; i will maybe consider this solution in the future for a backup machine. 1TB storage at this price level is a good deal. My experience on OVH dedicated servers is limited to EG 2011; this series has a hardware KVM, but I never used it. I confirm that OVH has a good monitoring system that automatically opens tickets, but if a human intervention is needed, and you have not subscribed the "vip" support, answer time may be not very fast (even with a expensive EG).
      Regarding the French language, on my company I have no trouble interacting in english with people of all Europe (Denmark, Poland etc), but the Paris office communicate in French only. They don't answer to emails in english.

• @pcan said: Regarding the French language, on my company I have no trouble interacting in english with people of all Europe (Denmark, Poland etc), but the Paris office communicate in French only. They don't answer to emails in english.

What if they speak English?

The Original Daniel.