Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you think more providers should have a company page?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do you think more providers should have a company page?

XeiXei Member
edited February 2014 in General

I often am interested in a lot of offers, but I tend to find that there's more often than not little to no company information, not where it's located, or any company background / history. So that means I have to try to investigate and piece those facts together on my own (which I almost never do, I just end up passing usually). Is there a reason providers here rarely provide details or is it just not important to most customers?

Thanked by 1kerouac

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2014

Agreed. I personally can't imagine why you wouldn't want to share the story of something you're proud of, unless you're not proud of it. Just my thought process anyway.

• @jarland said:
    Agreed. I personally can't imagine why you wouldn't want to share the story of something you're proud of, unless you're not proud of it. Just my thought process anyway.

I think the proud hosts share there info or will start to share it more since they give facts we can look into it will separate them from the summer hosts

• We have our basic information right on the main page:

http://www.goodhosting.co/

The reset of the site is still to come.

• HardCloud said: The reset of the site is still to come.

That blue is hurting my eyes, you might want to tone it down a notch to make it easier on the eyes.

Thanked by 1Silvenga
  • This what makes me fell in love with Catalysthost.

• Catalysthost says "This isn’t about money". That's hard to believe for the public. But of course, I believe it.

• @jcaleb when you invest passion in something then it's not about money anymore. Of course you will always keep that in the back of your mind, especially when your bills are due every month, however I understand what he's saying. If you follow your passion, the money will eventually follow you.

Thanked by 2vRozenSch00n jcaleb
  • marcm said: If you follow your passion, the money will eventually follow you.

This is the point. The passion to provide a good service will bring good long term customers.

• XeiXei Member
    edited February 2014

@jcaleb said:
    Catalysthost says "This isn’t about money". That's hard to believe for the public. But of course, I believe it.
    @vRozenSch00n said:
    This what makes me fell in love with Catalysthost.

Not really familiar with them but recall seeing the name before. That's a lot of endorsements in this thread for them, are they in the same DC as Hostigation? Are they able to provide an equivalent level of server uptime/availability? I was debating picking up a 2nd Hostigation since I easily am able to exceed a year uptime there. What are your uptime command outputs for Catalyst?

• @Xei its hard to explain. Just try them for a month or two.

Thanked by 1ryanarp
  • Yes. An "About us" page is very important.

I usually don't do business with a provider unless I've seen a face or something established that makes it "real". It's no guarantee, but I do like to know who has my data.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2014

@Xei said:
    Not really familiar with them but recall seeing the name before. That's a lot of endorsements in this thread for them, are they in the same DC as Hostigation? Are they able to provide an equivalent level of server uptime/availability? I was debating picking up a 2nd Hostigation since I easily am able to exceed a year uptime there. What are your uptime command outputs for Catalyst?

@RyanArp runs the show but as the other half of the Catalyst founders, I would recommend both. Tim is awesome. Ryan does incredible work. I couldn't in good conscience call one better.

Catalyst is in Dallas btw.

• Liquid Solutions seems does not have info. But they are one of the better host that I tried

Thanked by 1AlexBarakov
  • @mpkossen said:
    Yes. An "About us" page is very important.

I usually don't do business with a provider unless I've seen a face or something established that makes it "real". It's no guarantee, but I do like to know who has my data.

I feel more comfortable if there's some sort of identifying information as well. I often feel a little uneasy or weary when there's absolutely nothing there.

Thanked by 1forthcloud
  • @Xei said:
    I feel more comfortable if there's some sort of identifying information as well. I often feel a little uneasy or weary when there's absolutely nothing there.

True. You can put a whole load of text there that says absolutely nothing.

• XeiXei Member
    edited February 2014

@jarland said:
    Catalyst is in Dallas btw.

I was just researching them on LEB and it seems many of the offers used to include Lenoir. Couldn't find any information on LET/LEB using a site search as to what happened to Lenoir location (but it's pretty easy to guess why a provider leaves a location). I usually avoid providers who can't sustain locations they were offering. But I definitely will keep them in mind if I ever wanted a Dallas location. They do sound like a great company!

• ryanarpryanarp Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2014

Xei said: I feel more comfortable if there's some sort of identifying information as well. I often feel a little uneasy or weary when there's absolutely nothing there.

Hi Xei, Sorry I am a little bit late to the party. We are in the CoreXchange facilities in Dallas. We utilize the Incero Network. Which I find to be one of the best blends in Dallas. I might be a little bit biased as I am one of their onsite DC Techs.

[root@taylorswift ~]# uptime
    01:10:46 up 133 days, 13:54, 2 users, load average: 4.20, 4.13, 4.11

[root@node5 ~]# uptime
    01:10:18 up 136 days, 10:08, 2 users, load average: 3.42, 3.76, 3.74

[root@node6 ~]# uptime
    01:12:15 up 169 days, 13:54, 2 users, load average: 8.09, 7.89, 7.87

Looks like node6 is running backups so things are a little higher than usual on load average.

We have been in business officially since April of 2011. Prior to that we did freelance work in the hosting industry. We try to be as personal and transparent as possible. Always feel free to open a ticket and get to know us.

Update: We do reboot our nodes when needed, so a year without any kind of reboot might be rare. As we won't sacrifice security/vulnerability patches for uptime.

Thanked by 1Xei
  • XeiXei Member
    edited February 2014

@ryanarp said:

Thanks for the personalized response! I really do like the About and Contact pages. I would definitely pick one up if I needed a Dallas location, I tend to focus on the east coast or Europe these days. I think I read Incero wasn't offering IPv6, has that changed?

• ryanarpryanarp Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2014

Incero should be offering IPv6 soon, we have everything setup just need to get IPV6 distributed and assigned to our clients. I would say IPv6 this week for sure.

• @Xei said:
    I was just researching them on LEB and it seems many of the offers used to include Lenoir. Couldn't find any information on LET/LEB using a site search as to what happened to Lenoir location (but it's pretty easy to guess why a provider leaves a location). I usually avoid providers who can't sustain locations they were offering. But I definitely will keep them in mind if I ever wanted a Dallas location. They do sound like a great company!

Ehh, to be perfectly honest we moved out of Lenoir because we weren't happy with the network we were getting. We were supposed to get a full Gbit connection but later found out they were throttling us at a much lower level. We weren't happy, talked it over with the DC there, decided to move out. During this period we gave all of our clients in Lenoir a few free (like 4 or 6 if I recall correctly) months of free service for their troubles, I mean after all some people purchase for the location over the hardware. Dallas has been working well for us and we've been happy since.

@Xei said:

We're not in the same DCs as Hostigation (nor do we really plan on it). The uptime Ryan released were during our planned restarts and upgrades.

I can't really say anything about how we are because... well... I work there. What I can say though is we try damn hard to make sure everyone's happy. Also Ryan works at the datacenter we're in so we do have direct access to our machines.

• @Xei the best way to know an LEB host is to give them a try. I think that is the secret of many community member here, that they know which hosts are really good. They try every new comer for month to month. Afterwards, they will have a feeling who to work with in the long run.

• For example in Germany, it's required by law for any website to show an "imprint" that lists who is the administrator/webmaster or rather the person in charge of content. It sounded a bit creepy to me first, but there are upsides to it.

PS: Imprint is the common usage for the English translation of "Impressum", but in reality it's not a correct translation.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@jcaleb said:
    Liquid Solutions seems does not have info. But they are one of the better host that I tried

Thanks for the kind words! I will get on to it, later this week :)

Thanked by 2jcaleb HalfEatenPie
  • IHMO, it would be perfectly enough if the company would present a link to the countries company-register. If they even have a website according to German/Austrian law (eg. imprint) that would be superior.