Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AnyCast DNS Tutorials?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

AnyCast DNS Tutorials?

hey there, im looking at setting up an AnyCast DNS for a few of my sites on a couple of LEB's i have sitting around..
anyone have a decent tutorial for this?

Regards,
Ryan

Comments

• ExpertVMExpertVM Member, Host Rep

You would need to rent AnyCast IP to do that. Maybe you want to talk to @gbshouse and see if they rent you the IP

• dns4.pro can resell the anycast IP to you.

Thanked by 1vld
  • gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

You can get your own dedicated anycast IP pair for 10€/month

• gbshouse said: You can get your own dedicated anycast IP pair for 10€/month

Do you have any documentation on how your anycasted IP service works? Do the IPs route to your location and tunnel/TCP proxy to our hosts? Sounds interesting, but more info would be great.

@amhoab - the DNS anycast IP are not proxied or tunneled, you can just use them with our DNS service. If you want your DNS service look unique you can combine them with vanity NS. Regular anycast IP will be available from 1st of March but the pricing is not know yet.

• Call me dense but what exactly is Anycast DNS and what are it's advantages?

• VPNVPN Member
    edited February 2014

@Zen said

Ah I see. So generally public DNS servers that provide a geolocated service (closest to requester) are Anycast DNS servers like the above mentioned Google DNS. Makes sense, thanks! :)

OkieDoke said: Ah I see. So generally public DNS servers that provide a geolocated service (closest to requester) are Anycast DNS servers like the above mentioned Google DNS. Makes sense, thanks! :)

No. The anycast serves the first best (not always closest) server from network point of view.

Thanked by 1Zen
  • @Zen said:
    Would the 'best' server not be the one with the lowest latency? When I mentioned 'nearest' I meant it in the context of routing rather than geography.

It takes the shortest AS path, so you were right in a way.

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anycast explains it pretty well.

edited February 2014

Zen said: Would the 'best' server not be the one with the lowest latency? When I mentioned 'nearest' I meant it in the context of routing rather than geography.

MitchellRobert said: It takes the shortest AS path, so you were right in a way.

Nope. Imagine the scenario that you have single homed PoP in Africa (with X upstream provider) and you have client in Canada which use ISP Y which is multi homed and have direct peering with provider X. The shortest AS-PATH will be Y-X but it will have very large response times and won't be closest one from geographical point of view. Anycast is very tricky especially when you have large network and work with multiple providers. In the scenario described you need to prepend the AS-PATH so it won't be the shortest one anymore but only for this specific ISP.

Thanked by 1Zen
  • gbshouse said: Regular anycast IP will be available from 1st of March but the pricing is not know yet.

My bad, I thought that's what you were talking about (the anycast IPs, not DNS-only IPs). Do you have any details available on the anycast-as-a-service solution?

@amhoab - not yet but soon :)