Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chicago VPS + Native IPv6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Chicago VPS + Native IPv6

I am trying, without much luck, to find a good VPS provider in Chicago with native IPv6. Right now I have a 1GB Xen box on VPS6 and have been reasonably happy with them except for a negative experience where they killed my network access for two days due to an incoming DDos attack (what am I supposed to do about incoming attacks to a webserver anyway?) and the fact they don't have native IPv6 in Chicago. What I do like about them is I have great speed to them (~9 mbps, ~20ms) from Minneapolis, where most of my site visitors come from and where I am located.

I am open to other locations than Chicago but I have found much poorer speeds to everywhere else from Minneapolis. I suppose I could light up an IPv6 tunnel too, but that introduces some additional speed/latency penalty on IPv6 connections which I would really like to avoid. It seems like it shouldn't be a tall order but I've not been coming up with anything. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Comments

• said: what am I supposed to do about incoming attacks to a webserver anyway?

A firewall perhaps .. I would suggest CSF .. http://configserver.com/free/csf/install.txt

• Is Xen a must? Will OpenVZ work? How big was the incoming DDos attack?

• For a second there I thought..

• Ishaq said: For a second there I thought..

So did I man so did I. Damn you thread titles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• I didn't get any specifics on the size of the DDoS attack. I have a basic iptables firewall in place but the attack was on port 80 and clearly I'm not going to shut off the HTTP port on a webserver. It seems like rate limiting would be ineffective for a distributed attack too...

To answer the other question no, it doesn't have to be Xen (or KVM) as this is just primarily a web/DNS server system. Once upon a time I had a bad experience with OpenVZ though I now suspect it was more likely the provider than the technology. I am a bit of an old school dedicated server kind of guy so I guess I'm more familiar with how Xen, KVM, vmWare, etc. work than OpenVZ, though there are certainly more choices in the OpenVZ space. I'd be willing to give it a shot I guess.

• Which ISP do you have? If you have comcast, you'd be better off with FDC denver.

• At home I have Comcast but I also do a fair amount from work through the Northern Lights GigaPoP http://gigapop.net which typically transits on IPv6 through MICE http://micemn.net and then through Hurricane Electric and transits on IPv4 through WiscNet or Internet2 to nlayer or elsewhere.

As I said though, it's not so much about just optimizing it for me as optimizing it for the general population of Minneapolis users. The sites are used by students in my classes who are typically connecting from many different ISPs in the Twin Cities area. My experience is that on average Chicago has offered the best speeds for them though I have not tried Denver.

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • It looks like I have pretty good connectivity to LFCVPS in Denver (at least to their speed test server) and they appear to offer IPv6 (though no information on if it's native). Any thoughts on them or other Denver providers I might be able to use?

• BenFranske said: It looks like I have pretty good connectivity to LFCVPS in Denver (at least to their speed test server) and they appear to offer IPv6 (though no information on if it's native). Any thoughts on them or other Denver providers I might be able to use?

Honestly, I'd go for two providers. For your home users (comcast et al), I'd go for something in denver, like LFCVPS. For your MICE-peering ISP's, at a glance http://www.madgenius.com/vps-hosting.php has (outside of leb range) Xen VPS's.

• I'd been searching for this for awhile as well until I discovered that SecureDragon offers OVZ with Native v6 in CHI.

• @BenFranske

Are you interested in Columbus, OH location? The ping to Chicago is ~10ms and ~25ms to Minneapolis.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Hello,

I can offer a DDoS protected VPS out of Chicago (With scrubing node based in Chicago as well), however I can not offer you native IPv6.

Hit me up if you are interested and I can get you some really good quotes.

• matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

BenFranske said: LFCVPS in Denver

I used LFCVPS for quite awhile before migrating everything over to RamNode.
    LFCVPS is a very stable host with pretty good uptime and decent support. They were active here on LET for awhile but I don't think they come around here anymore.