Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LowEndIRC
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LowEndIRC

LivingSouLLivingSouL Member
edited April 2012 in General

What do you guys think of a network composed of low end boxes with IPv6 enabled?

Comments

• edited April 2012

I think a network dedicated to server/web hosting in general would be great. I could never find one of those (somewhere to have a CubixCloud channel)

• I think someone brought this up before, nobody seemed interested though :(

• @Kairus said: nobody seemed interested though

Oh, that's a shame. I would gladly host the server if someone was interested in running/managing it.

• @EricCubixCloud said: someone was interested in running/managing it.

I am :P

• Hello, no IPv6 though, sorry. I would love to have a network where hosts and providers could create a channel and have a channel for #lowendbox, a lobby with general chat, etc. :) I bet we could easily find lots of mods. Just have to be careful.

I have a small background in IRC and can manage channels,mods, admins, etc but I would prefer if someone would install the software and such, I don't have a lot of practice with that, haha :)

Looking forward to starting this up with someone :)

We could begin this on an OpenVZ LowEndServer eh and grow from there.

• JoeMeritJoeMerit Veteran
    edited April 2012

just come to Freenode #lowendbox, got up to 32 users today

• Sounds like a good idea! I'm even willing to donate my domain irc.sh :P

• @JoeMerit said: lowendbox on Freenode is just getting built up, no need to disrupt things again.

Umm... we're not building this specifically for LowEndBox users but for everyone. No one mentioned this would be competition to the freenode channel. Please don't worry Joe :)

• @seraphkz said: my domain irc.sh :P

AH! You were the one who took that domain. I saw [SOLD] hahah. We could make come up with a unique name for the network although I do like IRC.sh :)

• How will this network draw users?

• @JoeMerit said: How will this network draw users?

I don't think we really care. It's all in fun and learning :) Throughout the various hosts who will start it up, the word should slowly get around.

• @EricCubixCloud said: AH! You were the one who took that domain. I saw [SOLD] hahah. We could make come up with a unique name for the network although I do like IRC.sh :)

Yup ;p PM me if you guys want to use it.

• debugdebug Member

What type of ircd are you going to run? Unreal? If so, I can lend a box to the net and set it up, I've done it multiple times

• @debug said: If so, I can lend a box to the net and set it up

I've offered to donate a server but the more the merrier :) - glad to see we have some more IRC admins here too. UnrealIRCd is is quite good.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@EricCubixCloud said: UnrealIRCd is is quite old

UnrealIRCD is 'ok'.

Francisco

• edited April 2012

@Francisco said: UnrealIRCD is 'ok'.

Hahah. Nothing is perfect. Whatever the admin is comfortable with.

• I love Charybdis and inspircd :)

• Inspircd! That's the one! :)

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • @EricCubixCloud said: Inspircd! That's the one! :)

I have been using inspircd for FAR too long. I still like it though because it's really really stable.

• flyfly Member
    edited April 2012

charybdis.

and +1 for #lowendbox on freenode. we don't need opers/admins involved just yet.

• Yeah, InspIRCD is very flexible.. I suggest that too.. :)

• @EricCubixCloud said: I think a network dedicated to server/web hosting in general would be great.

oh yea, i just read this.. LOL.. dedicated to servers/web hosting...

• @LivingSouL said: oh yea, i just read this.. LOL..

What I meant was... it is built for server and hosting providers - each to have their own channel, discussion channels etc. I think it would make for a great community and meet a lot of new users :)

• DerekDerek Member

You guys do realise I'm the AOP at Freenode's #lowendbox

Maybe it would be wiser for a Low End company to add in a server into Freenode or Efnet. You might get floods of potential clients as well.

• @Derek said: You might get floods of potential clients as well.

Fixed.

• @Derek said: Low End company to add in a server into Freenode or Efnet.

Well, I'm just looking for a great place to host a channel for my hosting/server company. Suggestions? How are the rules and community there?

• DerekDerek Member

@EricCubixCloud said: Well, I'm just looking for a great place to host a channel for my hosting/server company. Suggestions? How are the rules and community there?

Freenode definitely for a community, Efnet it's a free for all.

Join us on irc.freenode.net #lowendbox and join the fun

• flyfly Member

efnet is awful.

• DerekDerek Member

@kbar said: efnet is awful.

Efnet has irc.umich.edu - University of Michigan.

• Well, if companies can prove to overcome floods, it would be a +1.. "we can handle things" ..

well, Its a great idea to have a network just for hosting companies.. :)