Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Tutorial] Build Your Ultimate Scrambled VPN - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[Tutorial] Build Your Ultimate Scrambled VPN

Comments

• NomadNomad Member

Now now...

How do I setup a DHCP for IPv6? With this setup I have the IPv4 but I'ld like to have IPv6 as well if possible.

• ca1nca1n Member

I have been trying to get my head around the limitations of the Softether setup. In short, will this config work on OpenVZ or not?
    I have a RamNode 128Mb OpenVZ box and I'm keen to try out SoftetherVPN. Can anybody spell out the "Cans and Cant's" for me.

Thanks guys.

• NomadNomad Member

You can.
    The only "Can't" I had was distributing the IPv6 address. Because my OpenVZ provider didn't support IPv6 yet.

• ca1nca1n Member

awesome, thanks Nomad. I'm going to give this a bash!
    ...and thanks for this great tutorial OP, well done.

• belinikbelinik Member
    edited April 2014

@ca1n said:
    I have been trying to get my head around the limitations of the Softether setup. In short, will this config work on OpenVZ or not?
    I have a RamNode 128Mb OpenVZ box and I'm keen to try out SoftetherVPN. Can anybody spell out the "Cans and Cant's" for me.

Thanks guys.

it is running fine in my ramnode ovz vps, just make sure tun/tap is enabled(recall you have to do it on solus) on unrelated note i just ssh to upgrade openssl...

vps uptime: 09:48:03 up 267 days, 8:52

softether vpn has been up since last august!(think it was down to change from securenat to localbridge)

I have finally moved to sz and did not notice any difference in material blocked from shanghai.... but I am quite surprised as I am getting less packet loss in chicago vps in lax then ramnode seattle/iniz lax. Currently trying to locate a good company to setup a vpn in asia that has good connectivity with CT. also throwing a fit for having a 100mbit connection and ISP limit 5 max device on modem/router level!

Thanked by 1ca1n
  • ca1nca1n Member

Hey guys, I got this up and running. Seems all good so far.
    Quick question.. Would it cause any problems to configure DNSCrypt with this setup? Would the VPN route DNS requests correctly or would I need to modify the VPN config?
    Has anybody got some experience with getting these to play nicely together?

• andrewandrew Member
    edited April 2014

@ca1n; no need DNSCrypt, OpenVPN routes dns requests itself. You can set your own dns in server.conf file

• is there any android client for this type of vpn?

• @psycholyzern said:
    is there any android client for this type of vpn?

Not for OpenVPN right now. You can install Softether and use L2TP/IPSec with Android.

• ca1nca1n Member
    edited April 2014

@andrew; I actually went ahead with the L2TP/IPSec config with SoftEther (and I will mention that it was well worth it, running nice n' stable). So I am not sure if there is a similar DNS config command/file in there, I will look into it.

I did some testing with DNSLeakTest after installing DNSCrypt on my VPN client, and resulted as follows:

DNSCrypt Enabled = 6 Google DNS servers found

DNSCrypt Disabled = 1 OpenDNS DNS server found

...and this does reflect the VPS DNS queries as its all going through the tunnel right?

• What reasons are there to choose one working protocol over the other?

• thanks for the tutorial

• halczyhalczy Member

@Nickolai said:
    What reasons are there to choose one working protocol over the other?

Depends on your needs. SSTP is good with Microsoft devices and while behind a strict firewall since it use the 443 port. In my experience, Softether SSL VPN performance great under heavy loads. So is OpenVPN. If you are on your Apple devices. L2TP/IPSec is easier to setup.

• Thanks much for the tutorial, sir.

Tried to setup Scrambled OpenVPN on 128MB OVZ but I got "handshake failed" on Windows client. Sometimes I can connect and stay connected couple of hours. It's just that, "handshake failed" always occurs while connecting.

Currently, SSH/SSH+ is the best method to bypass our ISP although standard OpenVPN setup is enough but it's already known and almost all ports are blocked.

• ankittulsianankittulsian Member
    edited August 2014

@databits, why don't you try softether ssl protocol and other protocols which I have used to bypass my ISP.

• databitsdatabits Member
    edited August 2014

I've figured out the cause, date/time sync. I might try Softether next time because I always authenticate my users through remote MySQL. Currently, I'm looking tuts for VPN over ICMP or SSH+ tunneling on CentOS if possible.

Edit:
    Tried SoftEther but doesn't bypass our IPS's using port 443 and I don't know how to use VPN over ICMP/DNS although I enabled them on server.

• @psycholyzern said:
    is there any android client for this type of vpn?

For Scrambled Openvpn, nice guys at bolehvpn compiled a client version for android
    https://www.bolehvpn.net/downloads/bolehvpn.apk
    mirror @ https://www.dropbox.com/s/ubr8euhe13er71m/bolehvpn.apk

You could already install Softether and use with Android

• @halczy said:
    Well, my experience is that west coast servers in the states is much better than servers in Hong Kong or Japan. You can get around 170ms pings and on a good day you can get up to 60mbps. I have the 100mbps fiber and when on a VPN connection, I have never surpass 60mbps. 25mbps will be the average. Hong Kong has lower pings at around 50-100ms, but the bandwidth seems limited for some reason. I blame CT's weird routing.

25mbps is good enough for most people, I think. And that's what I am looking for. Would you please recommend a vps provider and the specs that can deliver that speed (IP in US and access from China)? TIA!

• nevermind ,whitelist at the end.

• @niubi said:
    25mbps is good enough for most people, I think. And that's what I am looking for. Would you please recommend a vps provider and the specs that can deliver that speed (IP in US and access from China)? TIA!

What is your budget? Also, what ISP are you using in China?

• belinikbelinik Member
    edited December 2014

I have never surpass 60mbps. 25mbps will be the average.

actually I am curious to know how do you get up to 25mbps, I'm on CT 100mbit and I have never seen higher then 15mbit(linode japan in midnight), west coast I have never seen anything close to 5mbit.

• @belinik said:
    actually I am curious to know how do you get up to 25mbps, I'm on CT 100mbit and I have never seen higher then 15mbit(linode japan in midnight), west coast I have never seen anything close to 5mbit.

I'm on CT's 100Mbps plan as well. Try this, they are pretty good.
    http://www.krypt.com/features/speedtest

Thanked by 1belinik
  • niubiniubi Member
    edited December 2014

@halczy said:
    What is your budget? Also, what ISP are you using in China?

My ISP in China is CT (fiber). Is $10 to $20 a year reasonable? I'll use the VPS for a VPN only and I don't use a lot of BW. My average is about 30GB/month on Comcast meter.

• Kinda makes you wonder why this isn't already implemented....

China doesn't block SSH connections, right? So could just use SSH tunnel with socksifier..

• @niubi said:
    My ISP in China is CT (fiber). Is $10 to $20 a year reasonable? I'll use the VPS for a VPN only and I don't use a lot of BW. My average is about 30GB/month on Comcast meter.

Unfortunately you will have a hard time finding any VPS providers with good connectivity (>25Mbps) to China to be under $25/month. As @4n0nx said, SSH tunnel will probability be sufficient for you since you are a light user. I would recommend Ramnode or QuadraNet's Asia Optimized VPS. Of course, you should always do a speedtest first.

• belinikbelinik Member
    edited December 2014

if you are planning to throw 10-20$ a year i would recommend have 2-3 different places(for example, lax, las and sea). Sometimes 1 place will be decent and the other will be complete shit. And expect the connection to just able to do normal surfing, as soon as you hit heavy media content during peak hours go grab a drink or something :) If you use youtube enough I suggest downloading the file to the server and use btsync between few different server to sync back to computer, I find the experience to be much more enjoyable then buffer every few seconds.

@halczy thanks for the rec, I have tried the speedtest in all 3 us location, I get 0.3down/1up. Perhaps today is a bad day, will try tomorrow. I also assume you are using lax server?

China doesn't block SSH, however I have heard story that if you pass too much trafficthey will block your port, and after a while the IP also(didn't happen to me yet).

• @halczy said:
    Unfortunately you will have a hard time finding any VPS providers with good connectivity (>25Mbps) to China to be under $25/month. As 4n0nx said, SSH tunnel will probability be sufficient for you since you are a light user. I would recommend Ramnode or QuadraNet's Asia Optimized VPS. Of course, you should always do a speedtest first.

Thanks! Actually I use both OpenVPN and SSH tunnel. But at a much slower speed!

• @niubi
    @belinik

I'm actually using Astrill's VPN service now and pretty happy with them. They have tons of servers to choose from, so it one goes to shit, you can just get on another server.

• @belinik said:

My Tomato router on Comcast Performance (I think it's 25mbps down/5mbps up) can deliver 4-5 mbps from Bay area to China.

• Has anoyne tried obfsproxy?

https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/wiki/TrafficObfuscation

Seems pretty easy to set up...