Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hostigation Backup Review
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hostigation Backup Review

BlazeMuisBlazeMuis Member
edited April 2012 in General

Yo

So i got the Backup Plan Backup30 there, it has been pretty stable
Got it for almost 3 months now
Nice speeds, quick transfer

VPS is also not slow, although it's 64mb

Running just a simple FTP Server on it (VSFTPD)

Uptime is 41 days

# uptime
 04:22:08 up 41 days, 14:43,  2 users,  load average: 0.49, 0.29, 0.11

Using 14MB Ram with VSFTPD installed and running

I can recommend this host for backups, never tried their VPS yet

This was my review

Thanked by 2Asim miTgiB

Comments

• I'm also using Hostigation's Backup30 and Backup150 plans. First signed on May 2011 and have been a happy customer ever since. I use rsnapshot + vsftpd + Deb6. Stable, fast, and reliable.

• OneTwoOneTwo Member
    edited April 2012

nice review. where's your server stats script? ;)

• @OneTwo said: where's your server stats script? ;)

Going to work on it again soon, busy with school exams...

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
    edited April 2012

I've been using Hostigation for my backups as well. The move to Charlotte was a little rough but Tim was very open about the problems and resolved them swiftly - you can't ask for anything more than that. I'd rather have a budget provider with the occasional hiccup who is very communicative than a premium provider who leaves you wondering what's going on.

The VPS is stripped lean and mean - I run syslog-ng, dropbear, and cron only when it's idle, and pdksh when I login. rsync and ftp. It's a 64MB/96MB VPS.

I'm paying about 3.3 cents per GB/mo (including enough bandwidth).

Overall, it's been a great service.

The only negative I'd give Hostigation is that their front page scares my 2-year-old daughter.

• lumaluma Member

I had to cancel my Hostigation backup VPS. It was horrible. The speeds are fine but the VPS itself had issues. It would consume all ram at weird points in the day for no reason (no backups running) Tim had to reboot my VPS every other day as something would get corrupted with the container.

I finally just gave up on it.

I had the 210GB VPS.

I am sure it is just me, even though I did not change anything in the OS except remove FTP.

• How do you guys backup? And how much data? With an rsync script or something? Or a gui program?

• @Raymii Again that questions?
    u_u

• @yomero How do you backup your data, e.g. what protocol (rsync, ftp, ssh/scp, pidgeon), do you use a script to do it, or a gui program (like super flexible file synchronizer)? And how much data do you backup? What classifies as backup-data? (Documents, pictures, music, movies)?

• @Raymii

I mean, that questions about how you backup have been asked lots and lots of times.

http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussions/tagged/backup

• I know, but since @luma mentioned he had a 210GB vps for backups, I thought wow... My backup data is not more that 4GB, and I have a very slow connection. It seems impossible to get 210GB over at a decent speed, let alone restore it...

• Commonly, you backup data of other boxes, not personal data (there are better solutions for personal backups maybe). Generally that boxes have at least 10mbps, so isn't a problem.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

What yomero said.

Then again, I do have ~500GB of home data on CrashPlan. And yep, it took months to get there.

• lumaluma Member

@Raymii said: I know, but since @luma mentioned he had a 210GB vps for backups, I thought wow... My backup data is not more that 4GB, and I have a very slow connection. It seems impossible to get 210GB over at a decent speed, let alone restore it...

I backup some cpanel clients to this box as well as my photography which takes up hundreds of gigs (I only backup the good stuff off-site) etc. Photography adds up fast, each photo (RAW format) is up to 30MB in size,

• @raindog308 said: The only negative I'd give Hostigation is that their front page scares my 2-year-old daughter.

Lol.. but I love that. I wonder who designed the picture? Tim himself?

• nabonabo Member

@NanoG6 said: Lol.. but I love that. I wonder who designed the picture? Tim himself?

Yes, while he was with Lucie in the sky with diamonds! ;->

Thanked by 1NanoG6
  • @nabo said: Yes, while he was with Lucie in the sky with diamonds! ;->

Hey, I haven't tripped in 30 years

Thanked by 1nabo
  • prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2012

@miTgiB said: Hey, I haven't tripped in 30 years

so you did it when you were 20? ;)

Edit: was -> were

• nabonabo Member

@prometeus said: so you did it when you was 20? ;)

I guess in that time you'd been the crazy guy if you didn't at least try ;->

• @prometeus said: so you did it when you were 20? ;)

18 (1982) was probably the last time I dropped acid. I am not ashamed of the drug and alcohol abuse, but I do regret doing it at times. I have the addictive gene so finally in 1990 I discovered computers to channel my addition. 28 JUN 1989 is currently my sobriety anniversary.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • @miTgiB said: 28 JUN 1989 is currently my sobriety anniversary.

HostIgation coupon codes all around? :P

1989 is the year when i assumed drugs for the last time (a joint the night before my wedding) but it was one time after a few years without using drugs (since 1986 if I recall well) .
    In 1993 I stopped smoking cigarettes, 1998 started smoking a cigar or a pipe a few times a week and last year dropped to one cigar a month more or less :)
    A bottle of wine a week ( or less), some beers in the summer and some other alchools in company is what i assume lately :)

• @Taylor said: HostIgation coupon codes all around? :P

Maybe if I could keep stock, while not as bad off as BuyVM, since I am not quite as cheap as @Francisco, I have no problem selling out.

• @prometeus said: A bottle of wine a week ( or less), some beers in the summer and some other alchools in company is what i assume lately :)

I use this term loosely, but I can't think of beer as a beverage, so none is the proper amount for my consumption. Drinking is only to get drunk in my mind, but those without the addictive gene can and do just fine with the idea of beer as a beverage.

• @miTgiB said: Maybe if I could keep stock

I will get the propaganda machine rolling to get a boycott going :P

@miTgiB said: the addictive gene

I think to be inclined to addictions but not to alchool and drugs (I think because I don't like to loose the control). But I understand you, when I smoked cigarettes for example I smoked easily 80/days and the only way to get out was to never touch one...