Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gatsby.im discontinued
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Gatsby.im discontinued

imagineimagine Member
edited February 2014 in General

It seems that @ElliotJ has discontinued his WordPress hosting service http://gatsby.im/

Hello there,

It's been a great couple of years, however some things simply have to come to an end.

The growth of the network and associated costs incurred means that it's now difficult to financially fund without significant consequences in my personal life.

Although I've been considering this for a while now, it's a difficult decision to make - And not one I've been willing to make lightly.

I apologise for the inconvenience this will cause many of you.

Regards,

E Smith

It's a real shame, as it was an awesome service - but I can appreciate that it is not always possible to perpetually run a free service.

Anyway, thanks @ElliotJ for the great service provided, and best of luck with your future endeavours.

[side note] If possible, can you open up the admin so that users can pull an export?

Comments

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

The website looked nice.

What's the total cost, how many servers you got @ElliotJ?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I might be interested in backing it @ElliotJ drop me a pm if interested?

• Similarly, we would be happy to put some support behind keeping it online, if you're interested @ElliotJ. :)

Thanked by 1craigb
  • We would be happy to assist you in keeping the service online too @ElliotJ

Thanked by 1craigb
  • Happy to chip in here also.

Thanked by 1craigb
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Vultures :)

Thanked by 1kerouac
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran
    edited February 2014

Maybe we can cash a little to buy a Delimiter dedi?

@ElliotJ I have an Atom dedi from Delimiter with no use. We can use it, and I can translate it to Spanish :)

Thanked by 1craigb
  • InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

I sent Elliot an email a few hours ago and am happy to give resources too if he needs.

Thanked by 1craigb
  • Yeah, it was/is a great project. I'm also more than happy to support it in several ways: IP Space, routing, servers, dns, etc.

Thanked by 1craigb
  • Happy to provide resources too ;)

Thanked by 1craigb
  • AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

I can also spare a decent amount of resources in a couple of different locations.

Thanked by 1craigb
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Just to be clear, I was thinking more along the lines of financial aid rather than resources so you would not need to move your setup.

Ant.

Thanked by 1craigb

@netomx said:
    Maybe we can cash a little to buy a Delimiter dedi?

Bad latency from EU. :(

MikHo said: Bad latency from EU. :(

It is just a blog, isn't it?

edited February 2014

@netomx said:

Thanked by 2netomx jamson
  • @MikHo said:

Cloudflare?

• @netomx @Elliotj - if you want to do it, we'll put up the servers and the bandwidth. We can probably do it in a few different locations if its interesting.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Bummer.

I'm guessing this is a combination of:

• significant monthly expense (he rented a dedicated server to run it, plus some CDN I think)
    • significant monthly headache...besides just the sysadmin work, there were probably tickets and questions and wordpress patches and plugin X that had an issue and all of that
    • no income/not enough income from the project. I think he was planning to do a freemium model but I'm guessing the free:pay ration was hideous.
    • he was young and probably realized that while it was fun, there was nothing more to learn and there were better things he could do with his time.
  • I know it's early to say it, but it's a bit weird to shut a service down this fast before people can get their back-ups.

• Gatsby was an interesting concept, hate to see it go! We too can spare some server resources or financial assistance if needed.

• Well, everyone is offering financial/resources as benefits.
    I would be able to offer time and resources if needed

• I've just got a VPS setup with some domain mapping plugins I just brought, using WP Multisite, all seems to be working. You can test it by going to http://seeder.pw creating an account then going to tools and domain mapping. All the details are in there.