Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Experience with Atrato/Hibernia?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Experience with Atrato/Hibernia?

jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Hi Guys,

Does anyone have direct experience or an opinion of Atrato/Hibernia?

Any input is appreciated!

Comments

• Gets bashed. They are the budget brand. Lots of Europe connectivity though.

• i had a vps once using Atrato, it is very good from the NL.

• said: Any input is appreciated!

Finalise the deal....

Thanked by 1GIANT_CRAB
  • Always good to see Atrato in a traceroute.

• We use Hibernia for transatlantic wavelengths, they have been good. Atrato I have never used but its like the European version of Cogent/HE.

• I love Atrato in NL. Great speeds to the US. You should definitely get it in Buffalo!

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

I know Colo@ uses them at most of their locations. @RyanD

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@serverian said:
    I love Atrato in NL. Great speeds to the US. You should definitely get it in Buffalo!

It's being considered but we have virtually no direct experience with them and don't want to make a move to dilute the blend in buffalo which is level3, telia and xo currently.

edited February 2014

When we ran some tests Q4 of last year from Atlanta, traffic to Europe would route through Chicago to NYC rather than Northern Virginia/Washington DC to NYC, which added extra latency. They said it was due to capacity issues. I don't know if that's cleared up yet.

edited February 2014

Jack said: It actually made the route from the UK to ATL a lot nicer via Atrato vs bboi.

BBOI

Virgin Media ~112 ms

PlusNet ~104 ms

Atrato

Virgin Media ~165 ms

PlusNet ~166 ms

edited February 2014

Jack said: It was when you had NLayer not BBOI sorry.

nLayer to plus.net is ~112 ms

nLayer to Virgin Media is ~106 ms

• Jack said: It actually made the route from the UK to ATL a lot nicer via Atrato vs bboi.

nlayer is just having strange issues as of late throughout. Never had anything good come out Atrato except being cheap.

Being good is relative. It's like Hurricane is good. Atrato isn't that far off from Hurricane.

edited February 2014

concerto49 said: nlayer is just having strange issues as of late throughout.

Yeah, we dropped nLayer on December 1 as a result of the issues.

concerto49 said: It's like Hurricane is good. Atrato isn't that far off from Hurricane.

I just retested tonight, and Atrato appears to have on-going capacity issues, as right now traffic from Atlanta destined to Europe is routing either Atlanta -> Dallas -> Kansas City -> Chicago -> NYC -> Europe or Atlanta -> Dallas -> Denver -> Chicago -> NYC -> Europe. When I was running tests last year, it wasn't as bad, but still not optimal (Atlanta -> Chicago -> NYC -> Europe). When I asked about it back when I was testing in late July 2013, they temporarily changed it back to Atlanta -> DC/Northern VA -> NYC -> Europe, which made a big difference.

AFAIK, HE doesn't have issues like that, at least not over such a long period of time.

• qps said: AFAIK, HE doesn't have issues like that.

HE has issues elsewhere and for other reasons. Atrato ALWAYS has issues. Considering Atrato pricing, it's obvious, i.e. if you need an additional carrier for some routes, Atrato can help and can balance the budget, but otherwise no.

• We have been using Atrato for quite some time and they are not that bad... We pick them up in Jacksonville. Their POP here routes south to Miami and north to Atlanta. Overall they are a decent carrier, but there are oddball routes to Europe that will traverse Chicago as others have mentioned, rather than directly through Ashburn.

If you reach out to their support regarding these routes, they will fix them up. We've also seen odd issues where London bound traffic will peer off in Amsterdam, rather than directly in London. Their NOC has also fixed these for us in the past.

All-in-all, they are a budget carrier, but they are actually quite decent when compared to some of the other budget providers.

Their transit providers are Telia and NTT, they also peer heavily with Level3.

If you already use Telia and/or NTT, they may not be the best option out there. They are an on-net provider for us, so we pickup considerable capacity with them to complement our backhaul.

No real large complaints here, especially at the normal rates you can pick them up for.

-Daniel

• BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

@jbiloh Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I can see now that Atrato is in your BGP mix with a good number of routes pointing at them. How have they been working out for you?

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@BrianHarrison

We are using them in Atlanta and Buffalo right now as part of the overall mix in both locations. We're generally happy, though it's not been perfect. There are examples of routing that needs to be improved -- in most cases their NOC is extremely receptive and acts quickly to improve routes when pointed out.

Overall we are happy and intend to continue using them. Would I want to single home to them? No of course not, but I wouldn't want to be single homed to Level3 either. In a nice mix of 3-4 carriers, Hibernia is a great addition.