Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is the the right way to add a whole block of /64 ipv6 to debian 7 server?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is the the right way to add a whole block of /64 ipv6 to debian 7 server?

at /etc/network/interfaces
my server provider give me mixed suggestions of this issue.

iface eth0 inet6 static
address 2001:6210:5:7f3f::****1*****
netmask 64

2001:6210:5:7f3f::1 is the gateway.
Does above will add all /64 ipv6 to my server. Or will just bring down my server?

Anyone have suggestions?

Comments

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited February 2014

@hostingtalking You don't add a whole block of /64 to your server, to do that all RAM of all servers in your provider's DC would not be enough. Instead you add individual IPs from it that you intend to use.

If the provider told you your network is 2001:6210:5:7f3f::/64 and the gateway is 2001:6210:5:7f3f::1, then you would do something like:

iface eth0 inet6 static  
      gateway 2001:6210:5:7f3f::1
      netmask 64
      address 2001:6210:5:7f3f::2
      up ip addr add $IFACE 2001:6210:5:7f3f::3
      up ip addr add $IFACE 2001:6210:5:7f3f::4
      up ip addr add $IFACE 2001:6210:5:7f3f::5
      up ip addr add $IFACE 2001:6210:5:7f3f::6
      # (etc, to add more IPs if you need)
  • TheCTSTheCTS Member
    edited February 2014

I don't think that will work... at least putting a whole block of IP addresses on a single NIC.

• thanks @rm_
    I think they give me the wrong infomation. I shall add ipv6 one by one as before. Seems no shortcut

• @hostingtalking - if you have a /64 thats a hell of lot of IPs, you do NOT want to add them all to your server. You'll probably create such an ARP storm you wont have any capacity left on your network interface.

Just install enough to meet your needs. The fact is that IPv6 traffic is barely in the Gbps range yet.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

If I am not mistaken (I might, cant imagine numbers so big) a /64 is 18.5 billions of billions of IPs. Since they are quite big (number of bytes) to store, _rm is right, all ram in the DC will not be enough. Nobody stops you though, just that will not work with today's hardware.

• @Maounique said:
    If I am not mistaken (I might, cant imagine numbers so big) a /64 is 18.5 billions of billions of IPs. Since they are quite big (number of bytes) to store, _rm is right, all ram in the DC will not be enough. Nobody stops you though, just that will not work with today's hardware.

http://blog.softlayer.com/2011/ipv6-blocks-slashes-and-big-numbers

It's way more than that, just saying ;)