Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS still running after cancellation
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS still running after cancellation

aubsaubs Member
edited April 2012 in General

Is it common practice for a VPS to remain online after immediate cancellation?

The one in question, I can't log in to the client area but can to the control panel.

Comments

• Sounds to me like they deleted your account from WHMCS, but didn't ensure the VPS was terminated.

Looks like you have a free VPS until they decide to check for undocumented VMs.

Thanked by 1Liam
  • The immediate cancellation just adds the cancellation request to the WHMCS database.
    The request will be executed when the next WHMCS daily cron runs. However sometimes the automatic cancellation may fail for various reasons and then manual intervention will be required to actually destroy the VPS.

• I've had a vps run for 4 months after cancellation and continue to run after emailing the admin and telling him of the problem. Some people just don't care.

• I have a Kimsufi 2G which hasnt been invoiced for 6 months already, but remains online.

:>

• aubsaubs Member

@Aldryic said: Sounds to me like they deleted your account from WHMCS, but didn't ensure the VPS was terminated.

That was my thought, though not having any experience with WHMCS, I didn't know how it worked.

I'm all for things for free, but I'm not one for taking something I shouldn't have so I have already emailed the support team. :)

@liam said: On a serious note, some companies take up to 5 days, or 20 days if your burstnet.

Ahh right. Well I received the cancellation confirmation on 18 Mar and it stated

If you requested immediate cancellation then the service will be terminated within the next 24 hours. If however you chose end of billing cycle, it will not be cancelled until 01/04/2012.

so I would have thought it would have gone down by now.

• aubsaubs Member

@liam said: The companies name?

It is with VooServers. As I've emailed them, I don't mind giving the name. The last invoice I paid was up to 31/03/2012 so should have expired by now.

Can't fault them for their service though.

• aubsaubs Member
    edited April 2012

@liam said: I would be scared of them billing me.

If you've cancelled it, surely they can't charge you as you've removed all responsibility by cancelling it?

• birdie25birdie25 Member
    edited April 2012

OVH operates on a pre-paid monthly basis. If you don't pay an invoice the server gets shut down and erased within 3 days.

• aubsaubs Member

@DotVPS said: Yeah , I use a ks 2g for backups but i got a warning about its due for renewal 1 day after paying it ?

Oh dear, 2 more days and they'll delete it. LoL ;-)

• @aubs said: Ahh right. Well I received the cancellation confirmation on 18 Mar and it stated

Yeah, that's just a default message from the standard WHMCS install.

Thanked by 1Liam
  • @aubs said: Is it common practice for a VPS to remain online after immediate cancellation?

Happened to me once. Notified support but they ignored me :) Shut it down and it would come up again when the node was rebooted. It eventually disappeared after 3 or 4 months.

• @liam said: f companies can't manage their clients properly; what hope has the rest of 'their business' got?

No kidding, 'specially since it's not that hard to keep track of cancellations, and VPS's with no owners.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Tangentially...if I cancel a VPS service, I always reinstall the OS (destroying any existing data) as a last step. I don't want someone coming along after I'm gone and poking around in it.

(Yeah, I realize that's no DOD-grade wiping, etc. but for a VPS I think it's the best you can do).

• I have had a VPS with VPSLand for 4 years without paying.

I emailed them and they said that I was not in the billing system, and I said no shit sherlocks.

So to this day, I have a windows VPS that I used to host WoW servers on doing nothing.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@bijan588 said: I have had a VPS with VPSLand for 4 years without paying.

Bitcoin or folding @home should get their attention :-)

Thanked by 1bijan588
  • I had my vpstree one about... 4-6 months more maybe? :P
    That company was absolutely forgotten.
    And Unixy (the main company)... suppossedly doesn't have any bad review (according to their WHT posts). I submitted a ticket about that without answer.

• aubsaubs Member
    edited April 2012

And it is dead :(

This should now be terminated.

It looks like our systems did not terminate it correctly which meant it was left running unknown to us. Thank you for letting us know, it is very much appreciated.
  • JacobJacob Member

VPSLand is terrible anyway, I used to have a few VPSs with them like 3 Years back for running gameservers and the performance wasn't good at all.

@liam said: Specs?

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

@DotVPS said: That's not like OVH they usually invoice you like 30 days before its due.

hell, they invoice me for servers 60 days before they're due XD

• With cancellations I think it is important to remove the machine as per the customer request as soon as possible. WHMCS processes our cancellations the following day for immediate cancellation requests.

Late payments are another thing. 3 Days is a bit harsh, what if the customer was on holiday?

Not all providers can leave VM's using valuable production storage but I think it is nice to give people a few weeks where possible so they can settle their account and not lose all their data

• This happens mostly when the billing administration (WHCMS/hostbill etc etc) are not connected directly to there vps node. The creation and deletion may be done manually and people can make errors and forget to delete your vps. I once had a bill of 300euros in the mail for a VPS I had cancelled long time ago.. Always have proof!

• @vmhosts said: Late payments are another thing. 3 Days is a bit harsh, what if the customer was on holiday?

This is why you issue invoices in advance, and clearly document your billing policies. A well-informed client is a safe client.

• The VPS is still going, I started cpuburn a month ago, its using 100% cpu on all 4 cores and they dont seem to care...

• Load Avg is 32.21

• cr08cr08 Member

@Aldryic: This is why you issue invoices in advance, and clearly document your billing policies. A well-informed client is a safe client.

Agreed. I am all for sufficient leeways, but the way OVH handles their invoicing there's plenty of notice beforehand. And if you know you're going to be on holiday when due date comes, you'd be smart to pay up beforehand to avoid these situations. Just common sense. ;)

• @bijan588 said: The VPS is still going, I started cpuburn a month ago, its using 100% > cpu on all 4 cores and they dont seem to care...

This is full of win.

Thanked by 1bijan588
  • Wonder if any of these VPS machines are still running..

• @paul92 said:
    Wonder if any of these VPS machines are still running..

Jesus necro batman

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Happens sometimes, I have one VPS that is basically running since 2 Years for free since the billing panel managed to fuck up.

• This thread needs to be closed @DP ?

Thanked by 1aubs
This discussion has been closed.