Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best virtualization software for xen or kvm?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best virtualization software for xen or kvm?

I'm looking to set up VMs on my dedicated server to help me limit the resource usage of some applications. Ovz isn't really an option given that it doesn't enforce resource management very strictly. So.. what is the best software to get kvm/xen virtualization working (preferably behind a NAT)

Comments

• with Proxmox when you create a KVM VM you can set all kinds of resource limits this includes (IO, Network speed), NAT is supported.

• Could always try Citrix Xen. Is now open source and is really good software for a hypervisor

• @Mark_R said:
    with Proxmox when you create a KVM VM you can set all kinds of resource limits this includes (IO, Network speed), NAT is supported.

Any guides for setting up the NAT? Ovh's apparently no longer works

• Tip for being politically correct. Your asking for a virtualization management software. XEN/KVM is virtualization software itself.

• @Void_Whisperer said:
    Any guides for setting up the NAT? Ovh's apparently no longer works

What are you looking for? proxmox offers a nice webinterface that helps you set it all up.

• Addressing the deeper need to limit resources, have you considered just using the built-in cgroups and the CFS scheduler?

• VMware esxi free is the way to go, it does have its only overhead off around 900mb, but its pretty good.

• @Mark_R said:

I am using proxmox but am confused on how to set up the NAT