Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

dedi and vps prices in New Zealand.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

dedi and vps prices in New Zealand.

The dedi and vps prices in New Zealand compared to the USA is a prime example of how the economy of sale.

vps and dedi prices are far higher in New Zealand, does it need to be? power cost more here?

good example here of how silly costs are here:
http://quickweb.co.nz/quickweb-nz-xen-vps.html

Comments

• Is this a discussion or are you just trying to get your posts up....

Being as you're name suggests you are a provider.... Or want to be one..

• I don't need my posts up.

Its a general discussion, I think the fact is that people are forced to pay extra because there are limited options.

again, lets all try to get alone and not be nasty, just making general chat, id prefer people don't comment at all if you don't want to contribute in a positive way.

@ATHK said:
    Is this a discussion or are you just trying to get your posts up....

Being as you're name suggests you are a provider.... Or want to be one..

• The prices are more expensive due to heavy bandwidth prices, due to a monopoly mainly in Australia.

Mun

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • Well in fact the bandwidth prices are due to the limited deep sea cable bandwidth into NZ.

but its more than that, some charge for int traffic so that cant be a big factor.

@Mun said:
    The prices are more expensive due to heavy bandwidth prices, due to a monopoly mainly in Australia.

Mun

• @rocksolidvps said:
    Well in fact the bandwidth prices are due to the limited deep sea cable bandwidth into NZ.

but its more than that, some charge for int traffic so that cant be a big factor.

Then why is it so expensive to get traffic in Australia for a reasonable price?

Mun

• I would assume that NZ would route through Sydney anyway it's close...

Being an Australian resident it's sometimes cheaper to just host out of your office/basement/garage ... Prices for everything here are terrible....

• traffic is not expensive to Australia, all int traffic is expensive.

@Mun said:
    Mun

• There is also a deep sea cable to the states ( or its on its way.. )

@ATHK said:
    I would assume that NZ would route through Sydney anyway it's close...

Being an Australian resident it's sometimes cheaper to just host out of your office/basement/garage ... Prices for everything here are terrible....

• iwaswrongonceiwaswrongonce Member
    edited February 2014

If the costs are so silly, presumably a brilliant provider such as yourself would step in and undercut the competition since there is still positive marginal risk adjusted return.

Or, markets are efficient and the reason the prices are expensive, is because it's expensive to host in NZ.

Is there an actual question here? I can't see it. Does it need to be more expensive? No, you're free to charge whatever you like, and lose as much as you can. Does power cost more there? Relative to what? Relative to the International Space Station, it's cheap as shit.

• I was just wondering what other people think.

I hate the way some people here make it hard for anyone to just start up a conversation or chat.
    really defeats the purpose of this place...

@iwaswrongonce said:
    If the costs are so silly, presumably a brilliant provider such as yourself would step in and undercut the competition since there is still positive marginal risk adjusted return.

Or, markets are efficient and the reason the prices are expensive, is because it's expensive to host in NZ.

Is there an actual question here? I can't see it. Does it need to be more expensive? No, you're free to charge whatever you like, and lose as much as you can. Does power cost more there? Relative to what? Relative to the International Space Station, it's cheap as shit.

• iwaswrongonceiwaswrongonce Member
    edited February 2014

@rocksolidvps said:
    I was just wondering what other people think.

I hate the way some people here make it hard for anyone to just start up a conversation or chat.
    really defeats the purpose of this place...

No, the difference is, when I post a question like why would someone want a colo RPi, it's a genuine question which sparks a discussion and pools information.

Your threads have little value, and to many here (myself included) appear to be nothing more than thinly veiled spam since your username and signature reference your new venture.

• hahah.

my god, some people are so full of themselves, im sorry that you think that my question are not worthy of your great mind.

maybe people need to lighten up and not take themselves so seriously. maybe life would be abit nicer that way

@iwaswrongonce said:
    Your threads have little value, and to many here (myself included) appear to be nothing more than thinly veiled spam since your username and signature reference your new venture.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

Pricing like that in NZ is because of your heavy routing to Australia.

Just FYI everyone, prices in Australia are so high because of a monopoly on the main backbone transit, higher energy costs, higher labour costs and the distance between capital cities.

NBN pricing is pretty reasonable compared to what we have. NBN Co should have go into wholesale bandwidth to data centres. They would make a mint with the low latency to consumers.

Sorry... Got a bit off track...

• We can only Dream @trewq

• seems like a great time to start sheepVPS.net (more sheep than people in NZ)

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited February 2014

KGOVPS is pretty good for NZ with much better pricing than QuickWeb however slightly low on HDD

https://kgovps.com/xen-nz

• Thanked by 1lukesUbuntu
  • still not that cheap for lowish spec vps's ( vpscity.co.nz ) is ok

@INIZ said:
    KGOVPS is pretty good for NZ with much better pricing than QuickWeb however slightly low on HDD

https://kgovps.com/xen-nz

• I have but for other projects, colo is abit more here as well.

@Bruce said:
    why not colo your own servers?

http://www.datacentermap.com/new-zealand/auckland/

• lukesUbuntulukesUbuntu Member
    edited February 2014

Im going to colo at some stage possible here http://www.hd.net.nz/business-solutions/datacentre-services/colocation/

but the prices are shit in NZ

• Mun said: Then why is it so expensive to get traffic in Australia for a reasonable price?

Everything is expensive in Australia. Unions, people that don't want to work, people that just can't work, lots of reasons...

The minimum wage is at least 2x that of the USA, yet they want holidays, benefits and all sorts of things on top. Not to add the attitude of "Oh we only get paid the minimum, not interested in working". It's a laid back and relaxing country. Good benefits - good for those that want to relax and enjoy life if you're already rich or just want to get by.

• @concerto49 said:
    The minimum wage is at least 2x that of the USA, yet they want holidays, benefits and all sorts of things on top. Not to add the attitude of "Oh we only get paid the minimum, not interested in working". It's a laid back and relaxing country. Good benefits - good for those that want to relax and enjoy life if you're already rich or just want to get by.

It's not heaven folks, 1. earthquakes, 2. funky oceanic animalia

• kerouac said: It's not heaven folks, 1. earthquakes, 2. funky oceanic animalia

It's not heaven. Shops close very early. You try to get anything done and it's like going around in circles, yet the same people complain to hell over little things.

• Australia is an amazing place, unless you live in like Adelaide or something. Shops close at 5PM there, as opposed to here in Sydney where many are open till ~10:30PM.

I dunno where most of the people here live, but I think here in Australia we have a few problems in regards to companies shitting on consumers and getting away with it.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@0xdragon said:
    Australia is an amazing place, unless you live in like Adelaide or something. Shops close at 5PM there, as opposed to here in Sydney where many are open till ~10:30PM.

I dunno where most of the people here live, but I think here in Australia we have a few problems in regards to companies shitting on consumers and getting away with it.

Same close times here in Hobart. Except very few things are open Saturday and NOTHING is open Sunday.

• I think our pricing is quite good for NZ VPS services, especially on the bandwidth. On the whole it is the international bandwidth costs that are a problem in NZ, but there are some deals to be had. Competition from other undersea fibre providers (I think Kim Dotcom was in on the act too at once stage) will certainly help, as well as the whole broadband roll-out by government, has to drive prices down eventually, look at was it has done to poor old Chorus already.

Thanked by 1lukesUbuntu