Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

60 days review of INIZ.com (edited)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

60 days review of INIZ.com (edited)

myhkenmyhken Member
edited February 2014 in Reviews

I have used INIZ for 60 days now, after I got a good deal on LEB. The plan was using them for one of my DNS failover servers. Read the full review here...

Product/hardware/price

INIZ provides unmanaged service in three locations: Los Angeles, New York and Amsterdam, Netherlands. They offer OpenVZ plans, pure SSD plans and KVM plans. They have plans from $4.93/mo (256 MB) to $19.72/mo (2 GB)

I’m using a LEB special and have a OpenVZ, 4vCores (Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2650 0 @ 2.00GHz), 2 GB RAM, 100 GB disk, 2 TB bw plan that I’m paying $46.50/year for ($3.85/mo). I’m using their Netherlands node.

Their prices is not very low, almost $15/mo for a 1 GB OpenVZ server with no SSD is actually some expensive. But, INIZ is a active member on LEB, and often has very good offers, like what I'm using. So always take a look at LEB and the VPS offer section of WHT before you order from them.

I have seen some high load on the node from time to time, but I'm sure INIZ has it all under control, since the load is not seen for any long time.

Service/Support

Not much to say about their support, have not tried it all the last 60 days. But since they made it to place number 3 on the Q4-2013 (and Q3-2013) poll on LEB, and they must have a good support team.

I have not used the server for any live site. I used it for a month or so as a backup server on my DNS failover service. So I replicated my sites every hour to my INIZ server.

Benchmark:

My plan is “only” a RAID-10 plan, but I get some good disk speeds here. I must say that I have also seen speeds down to 250 MB/s, but I get speeds over 500 MB/s most of the time.

Network/uptime

My monitoring services tells me that I have a 99.949% uptime the last 2 months with 1 minute monitors.

Conclusion

INIZ.com is a good provider with good hardware and network, with great offers from time to time. I have got really much value for my money with them. They do not have much downtime and they are holding their promise of 99.9% uptime.

They are getting 4 of 6 stars in my book (using the hotel standard) since I have not tried their support yet. 4 stars is a good rating.

INIZ is getting 8 of 10 points in this review. (on my new changed point system)

Comments

• Sorry, but all I see is a bunch of benchmarks and you saying you lack information to talk about a certain topic...

• I'm not sure why the sequential speed tests matter, but I guess to each their own. I've got the comparable INIZ NYC server and it performs well too. No need to try support either and aside from the planning maintenance to move to a full cabinet a week ago, no downtime either. I'm running my zabbix server on it and IOPing is relatively stable in the 10k+ range. There's the occasional blip downward (along with some iowait spiking) but that doesn't reoccur on any regular basis so I assume Patrick's monitoring the nodes pretty closely and dealing with any abuse swiftly. The LE* deals he puts out are a pretty good steal.

Thanked by 1Patrick
  • LeeLee Veteran

Where is the review? What do you use the box for? How does it handle what you do with it? How does it perform that task compared to others you have used, etc..

Sorry but it's not a review of the product or service, just the usual pointless stats which many could have already told you.

• Sorry for that. I have not used the server for anything else then have a copy of my sites on it, replicated every hour from my main servers. But since my main servers never has been down that time I have used INIZ, I have never seen how the server actually runs when hosting sites on it.

So has to test them some more before I can write a "real" review. Have paid for a year, so can test them for 10 more months.

• LeeLee Veteran

I am not being critical of your intentions, but Iniz are not short of good 'reviews' in terms of server performance and rightly so, but all we tend to see is DD speed type reviews.

It's nicer to hear from those that are using it for specific tasks and how that compares to others, better, worse, issues due to server configuaration and so on.

Appreciate you can't comment on that if you have no experience but a review of a largely idling box is not really a review?

Just my 2c :P

• W1V_Lee said: Appreciate you can't comment on that if you have no experience but a review of a largely idling box is not really a review?

I still can have an opinion about uptime, server load (not from my site but on the node), network connections, IO speeds, DD, their price, their plans, their support (if I have used it), their service level (if they are polite, go beyond what you expect (like Prometeus always do) etc etc.

So I'm thinking you can make a pretty honest review of a company, without actually using their server for hosting.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited February 2014

A bit strange rating btw. If you rate only 4 segments and all of the please you it should be 4/4 not 4/6 ;-)
    4/6 does not look really good.

Thanked by 2raza19 ironhide
  • myhkenmyhken Member
    edited February 2014

@Spirit said:

Yea, your are the second person that mention this in a week now. SolaDrive.com was no so "happy" with their 4 star rating.
    I'm using the "Hotel" standard, there 6 stars is the best of the best. So 4 star is beyond average.

But maybe I should move from the "star" system to the 1/10 system?

In this case I would have given Iniz 6/10.

Not a huge issue, changeing all my reviews on my site to the 1/10 system, but all of my old reviews on WHT and here will use the old "star" system.

Any advice?

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited February 2014

@myhken said:
    Still, a four star host (of six) is my book, since I have not tried their support yet.

myhken said: In this case I would have given Iniz 6/10.

I can't find from your review where they lost 4 points. 6/10 seems like relatively crappy but still acceptable service but your review says different. If you didn't try their support and this isn't part of your rating then support can't be rated negatively.

• @spirit Hmm, I'm thinking that I can not give a host 5 of 6 or 6 of 6 stars, or more then 6/10 if I have can't rate their support etc. So if a 4 of 6 or 6/10 rating are seen as a bad review, I have given allot of bad reviews. :(
    My system is based on that 3 stars is average, 4 stars is a good host, 5 star is really good, and 6 stars is beyond and beyond. The only host I have given 6 stars to is Prometeus, since they really go beyond expectations, and give the little extra.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotel_rating

• Sorry, i am a man of very few words, i get to the point.

your review is total shit! you did not use the product, your stars and points say that the service is a little better than ok, your review is pointless.

• alexvolkalexvolk Member
    edited February 2014

@myhken from your review Iniz lost stars because of :

• You haven't contacted support.

• You aren't going to use them in the future.

I wouldn't call this as a real review.

Thanked by 1ironhide
  • Hotel rating is fine, but don't rate what you haven't used.

If you've tested 3 out of 5 criteria for anything, your score should be limited to 3, and not 5.

Considering the other two points would be unfair to the company being reviewed as you effectively are telling people that you've given this particular company a 0 on whichever area(s) you didn't manage to review.

Thanked by 1Spirit
  • PatrickPatrick Member
    edited February 2014

alexvolk said: You aren't going to use them in the future.

I can't see where he says that.

Though I technically don't have an issue, I can see where other users are coming from because when someone is looking through INIZ reviews without reading the full post see's a 4/6 they may think something else

@tchen said:
    I'm not sure why the sequential speed tests matter, but I guess to each their own. I've got the comparable INIZ NYC server and it performs well too. No need to try support either and aside from the planning maintenance to move to a full cabinet a week ago, no downtime either. I'm running my zabbix server on it and IOPing is relatively stable in the 10k+ range. There's the occasional blip downward (along with some iowait spiking) but that doesn't reoccur on any regular basis so I assume Patrick's monitoring the nodes pretty closely and dealing with any abuse swiftly. The LE* deals he puts out are a pretty good steal.

Thanks, great to hear!

• @INIZ said:

Well, it's here in the first message

said: I’m pretty sure I will not continue using them after 2014, since I really don’t need the server anymore.

Thanked by 1Patrick
  • @alexvolk said:

said: I’m pretty sure I will not continue using them after 2014, since I really don’t need the server anymore.

Thanks must have missed that

• myhkenmyhken Member
    edited February 2014

The reason why I would not use them is not based on the review (I will add that note to the review, or remove it, since it has nothing to do with the review)), it's because of this thread...

I just wanted to cut down on the numbers of host and servers I was using. @serverian could get me 4 servers in two EU DC, and I took the offer.

@INIZ I have really not given you a bad review...

Thanked by 1Spirit
  • LeeLee Veteran

Welcome to LET.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • But for the future, so you think I should rate a host 6 of 6 or 10/10 if I don't have tried their support, or have experienced any kind of service beside getting the server after ordering? How to rate the really good host from the only good hosts?

Maybe always have opened a support ticket before I write any review?

I open for suggestions, and will for sure change the way I write reviews in the future. without feedback I would just have continued as always.

• @W1V_Lee said:
    Welcome to LET.

I have been spared from the drama on all my other threads, so it was my time now. But I can handle negative feedbacks. And I will use it to make better reviews in the future.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited February 2014

I agree though that 6/10 looks like something is wrong. Which in this case clearly is not, you are downgrading the host based on not what you have evidenced, but what you don't know.

So a better way to avoid that is:

Performance 9/10
    Price 8/10
    Reliability 9/10

Average of the 3 = 8.6/10

Unable to report on x or y so they are not included for a rating.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • @W1V_Lee Very good advice, will use it on future reviews. I can understand that me reducing the points for something I have not tried is not fair. Or can let people think the review is bad, as in this case.

• painfreepcpainfreepc Member
    edited February 2014

@myhken said:

no one is giving you drama, all we are saying is that you made a great service look like "that a do"

Thanked by 1myhken
  • @painfreepc said:
    no one is giving you drama, all we are saying is that you made a great service look "that a do"

I understand that now, and have taken your advice. I can change the title of this thread (and on my blog of course), but I'm not sure how that will be for the rest of this discussion?

• @myhken said:
    But for the future, so you think I should rate a host 6 of 6 or 10/10 if I don't have tried their support, or have experienced any kind of service beside getting the server after ordering? How to rate the really good host from the only good hosts?

Maybe always have opened a support ticket before I write any review?

I open for suggestions, and will for sure change the way I write reviews in the future. without feedback I would just have continued as always.

I'd certainly suggest having dealt with support at least a couple of time before writing a review; if you think about it, writing a review of of a provider without having looked at all the elements would be a bit like reviewing a 4 course meal only having eaten 3 courses, or reviewing a movie only having watched 60 minutes of it's 90 minute run time.

• ztecztec Member
    edited February 2014

Worthless review. Iniz is great though, 6/6 stars.

• Pretty shitty review all you did was post a benchmark and prove stats/uptime are amazing yet you never really used it and deduct points for "support" that you didn't try?

myhken said: But for the future, so you think I should rate a host 6 of 6 or 10/10 if I don't have tried their support, or have experienced any kind of service beside getting the server after ordering? How to rate the really good host from the only good hosts?

If you can't do a full review don't do a review, if all you want to do is post stats do it in a thread with stats that already exists instead of wasting people's time.

• @ztec and @melfy thank you for your constructive feedback.

• Is he dead, yet guys?

Thanked by 3myhken Chumbi Maounique
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited February 2014

@serverian said:
    Is he dead, yet guys?

Now now, don't move too quickly, let the kids play with him a while before striking the final blow.