Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WTF is wrong with ovh.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

WTF is wrong with ovh.

instatechinstatech Member
edited February 2014 in General

Today i got email from ovh so i visited there website and saw the setup fee i highly doubt anybody is willing to pay $69 setup fee for there dedicated server as most of their customers use it for one month or so.So i hate there new business model.Online.net are offering similar server without any setup so what is the point of paying them the setup fee.So what do you guys think about it.

Comments

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Guess they got tired of the "one month" users and are looking into getting longer lasting clients.

• If you don't like it go find another host then. There are plenty of competitors that don't charge setup fees. They probably don't want customers for just one month.

• Most of there customers are seedbox users.And i heard there reply to ticket take at least 10 days.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Their cheapest dedis does only include forum support, unless you pay extra for the support.

• @instatech said:
    Most of there customers are seedbox users.And i heard there reply to ticket take at least 10 days.

Statements like this are funny, and painfully wrong. They have what, 750k servers and capacity for over 1mm? Yep, all seedbox users. Nailed it!

• Seedbox users are used to be when there was no setup fee but i don't know there current situation.

• still better than online.net

• iwaswrongonceiwaswrongonce Member
    edited February 2014

@instatech said:
    Seedbox users are used to be when there was no setup fee but i don't know there current situation.

You're missing the point. Most of their customers are no seedbox users, as you had stated. Even pre setup fee. This was just an easy way to target them without having to resort to a policy change that makes them non-neutral. It's a small but problematic segment. This is their solution. If you commit for a year, they waive it.

@texteditor said:
    still better than online.net

Why? I've never used them, but they seem like a pretty good deal.

• @iwaswrongonce said:
    Statements like this are funny, and painfully wrong. They have what, 750k servers and capacity for over 1mm? Yep, all seedbox users. Nailed it!

Actually as of now its around 200k with a total capacity of 1 million(all Dcs combined).Its only the atom or i3 kimsufis which are mostly used as seed boxes. or other minor uses.SYS servers are suitable for gameservers, large data storage, websites etc. And their OVH lineup is for big enterprises, websites, vps hosting, IaaS & all other large professional & productional environments.

• @iwaswrongonce said:
    Why? I've never used them, but they seem like a pretty good deal.

It's a step-down in network quality that isn't worth the difference inn money you save.

• It's probably the best way to continue offering ridiculously cheap hardware. Hetzner, a popular German hoster, has been doing this for many many years. The hardware they offer is ridiculously cheap, but you have to pay a setup fee. The fee should discourage users from switching servers more often than they'd need to.

• @texteditor said:
    It's a step-down in network quality that isn't worth the difference inn money you save.

Kimsufi is capped at 100mbps though.

• Screw ovh and there new business plan still we have online.net with us.

• @instatech said:
    Screw ovh and there new business plan still we have online.net with us.

OVH wanted customers who weren't like you.

1-Month than dump.

• ITT: We need to differentiate there/their and than/then.

• @instatech said:

Online.net is just an "OVH wanna be" which it would never achieve because of poor network quality & even slower support than OVH.Not to mention their pathetic policy of not allowing more than a /27 for each server.But may be they suit people like you use their server for a month & or two then ditch it!

• LeeLee Veteran

@instatech said:

Sounds like you are sore more than anything, you don't want online.net, you want OVH but you want to bitch a little because you are not getting it your way.

Thanked by 1Shoaib_A
  • Isn't online.net datacenter based in France? In that case I would already rule them out categorically because the majority of my visitors are from the US. I prefer the East coast, which is one advantage OVH offers over other low-cost providers. Mind you, I don't use OVH for anything else but backup services (regular rsync backups, slave sqls, backups to aws).

• Maybe some of us just don't want to pay a setup fee. has that possibility ever been considered?

• LeeLee Veteran

@darknyan said:
    Maybe some of us just don't want to pay a setup fee. has that possibility ever been considered?

So you don't want to pay a setup fee? Fine, OVH is not for you, end of.

• @darknyan said:
    Maybe some of us just don't want to pay a setup fee. has that possibility ever been considered?

From OVH

An upfront payment of 12 months

cancels out the setup fees, which
    equates to approximately 10%
    discount

• @darknyan said:

Marketing departments dream about people like you. It's all about total cost of ownership.

Otherwise, I have an OVH server for the low monthly price of $999 and NO SETUP FEE.

• GunterGunter Member
    edited February 2014

Is there any point of a circlejerk here? That's really pathetic behaviour here.

An upfront cost is a rather pointless fee no matter its original purpose unless it accomplishes something on the consumer end as well. If its meant solely to keep one month users away, so be it.

Regardless, I already paid off my original 1 year contract so it no longer applies to me anyways.

• darknyan said: An upfront cost is a rather pointless fee no matter its original purpose unless it accomplishes something on the consumer end as well.

If it helps keep prices low (which it will) then it's good for consumers! Personally I like that there's a setup fee.

• @darknyan said:
    An upfront cost is a rather pointless fee no matter its original purpose unless it accomplishes something on the consumer end as well.

The set-up fee is levied for the purpose it describes. To reimburse the costs for the set-up of the server. It may, however, also have the effect to keep away short-term customers that generate more costs than income. I don't see how that can be pointless.

Thanked by 2Mark_R Lee
  • OVH think they will get enterprise customers by doing this setup fee BS keep dreaming.

• skagerrakskagerrak Member
    edited February 2014

@instatech said:
    OVH think they will get enterprise customers by doing this setup fee BS keep dreaming.

I guess you need to separate the three OVH brands correctly.

• Kimsufi set-up fee is at 9,99 Euro (excl. VAT)
    • SYS set-up fee is at 59,99 Euro (excl. VAT)
    • OVH set-up fee is at 119,00 Euro (excl. VAT)

If you're looking at the OVH brand, it is indeed suited for enterprise clients. But for those the 119 Euro set-up fee is a joke. 1) you don't pay it when concluding a 12-month contract 2) those set-up fees are aquisition costs tax -wise.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I am not sure if it still applies, but OVH used to terminate pretty quick for imagined reasons, or poorly investigated ones.
    I would be extremely worried if I have to sign up for a year, knowing my friends were terminated without recourse or investigation at the first automated signal, therefore I would not sign up for a year, I need time to test if that is the case indeed. For what I know, this could be a ploy to get the setup fee and kick the user whether it is called setup fee or yearly payment.
    Again, that happened a few years ago, it might be that they changed their ways in the meantime.

• @Zen said:
    Your server is hacked, we have destroyed the data. Don't ask us how we came about this information, since we try to shy away from our modified kernels - but yeah, your data is gone. Peace out.

LOL. And despite these draconian and unreasonable actions, somehow OVH is a darling among spammers. Anyone running a large forum and tracking spammer IPs can confirm this.

• @skagerrak said:
    If you're looking at the OVH brand, it is indeed suited for enterprise clients. But for those the 119 Euro set-up fee is a joke. 1) you don't pay it when concluding a 12-month contract 2) those set-up fees are aquisition costs tax -wise.

OVH setup fee is 99.99 Euros while that of SYS is 49.99.