Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help Me Pick a Hosting Company Name
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Help Me Pick a Hosting Company Name

raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
edited April 2012 in General

I'm trying to pick a name for a hosting company (shared, not LEB :-)

Here's the deal...I put together a quick 1-question survey to ask for advice. I pledge to give $30 to the charity that gets the most votes if I get at least 100 survey responses. If you want, you can include an email address and I'll mail proof of the donation.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/QFYDS8B

Comments

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Voted. :)

• Pretty buggy huh?
    I can't choose more than one host to be "No Strong Opinion"

User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.7; rv:11.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/11.0

• AndriAndri Member

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Aw, crap, I guess you're right @klikli.

It's fixed now.

• I voted as well!

• Voted..

Great. Up to 37 responses (I've posted in a couple other places). At this rate, I'll be making a donation tomorrow :-)

Thanks to all who voted.

• dnomdnom Member

Voted.
    :)

• othelloRobothelloRob Member, Host Rep

voted.

• JacobJacob Member
    edited April 2012

Edit: It didn't go through I will try on my desktop later.

• Voted as well.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Voted :) Liked the most Netmancer :)
    All in all, pretty inspired names, GJ :)
    M

• Done! :)

edited April 2012

Thank you!

Thanks everyone who voted!

I appreciate the input. If you haven't voted, feel free to do so :)

Results

I'm still pondering. A few choices were clearly very negative and confirmed some of my thinking. One of my favorites also was viewed negatively by most, so I'm glad I got some results. One was very polarizing, most had a spread. Got some good comments and need to think them all through.

It is amazing to make how many ${noun}host.com names are taken - things I can't imagine anyone using. Who would signup for service with slowhost.com? :-)

Lamers

I did enjoy the few incredibly insightful comments about various ethnic backgrounds and sexual orientations. Because, you know, it's so hard to delete those with a single click...

I actually am neither gay nor black, nor was I pleasuring myself while creating the survey, nor do I love my mother in any unnatural way. But thanks for asking.

And As Promised...

Nearly at 100 responses - close enough. The Make-a-Wish foundation was the biggest vote getter:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7993889/forum/makeawish.png

Those of you who asked to be notified by mail will be notified probably tomorrow.

Again, thanks to all.

• Voted.

• aubsaubs Member

Voted. Glad I chose Make-a-Wish foundation too, otherwise would have felt disheartened that my vote didn't count. LoL ;-)

• vedranvedran Veteran

And the winner is ...?

• Can you post the survey results?
    I'm quite curious.

Btw, voted.

edited April 2012

I wasn't originally planning to share the survey results, but what the heck...enjoy:

http://www.startupsaga.com/2012/my-company-name-survey

I'm in a bit of quandry about the name, as discussed there. Any comments welcome.

Thanked by 2jamson vedran
  • hostatjoes.com

I like it...but taken.

• @raindog308 i don't know if you forgot one thing. we live in computing stuff, it means we live in binary digit world.. why you're not using "true" and "false" only for your survey? you may get better result.. :D

• DeathProxyDeathProxy Member
    edited April 2012

I voted for LanternHost.com because I immediately thought of Green Lantern and how epic he was.