Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stripped down Ubuntu box
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Stripped down Ubuntu box

sallysally Member

Hi all!
I'd like to run a stripped down, bare minimal, extra low end (64MB) Ubuntu 12.04 box for Openvpn purposes only. Any advice on which components I can safely remove, particularly to save on memory? I know Apache is one, but which others can you recommend?
Many thanks!

Comments

• Install Debian 7.0 32-bit minimal. Btw you should post an output of "ps aux" command atleast to see what processes are you running. Then we can help what you could remove safely.

• Here's a few tiny ones from OpenVZ.

http://openvz.org/Download/template/precreated

I would start from there as they are very very minimal already.

• use Minstall

• @sally Btw you did not mentioned what kind of virt. Technology are you on. OpenVZ, KVM? Or playing at home on a desktop box.

• Great advice so far!
    @pbalazs123 An OpenVZ VPS of 64mb. I mention Ubuntu cos it's the only Linux I'm familiar with.
    Can't get the output of "ps aux" to display properly in this message, I'm afraid!

• skagerrakskagerrak Member
    edited January 2014

@sally said:
    Great advice so far!
    pbalazs123 An OpenVZ VPS of 64mb. I mention Ubuntu cos it's the only Linux I'm familiar with.
    Can't get the output of "ps aux" to display properly in this message, I'm afraid!

Use standard HTML-code instead of the rotten Markdown that the forum prefers.

• @sally Don't be afraid of Debian, you can handle everything in the same way as like in Ubuntu. Paste the output to pastebin.com and get back with the link.

• sally said: Can't get the output of "ps aux" to display properly in this message, I'm afraid!

Wrap it in HTML pre tags.

• But this line stands out (13.7% memory usage) and I don't even have a DNS server setup here. How the hell did "bind" get there?

bind 653 0.0 13.7 49192 9036 ? Ssl Jan28 0:00 /usr/sbin/named

• @sally It's installed by default.

• ...shameless bump - and thanks for the input!

• xinetd, sendmail, bind9, libsasl2, cups

• But i would suggest you to install the Debian 6-7 32bit minimal template. It's more easier if you're not familiar in linux.

• @pbalazs123 said:
    xinetd, sendmail, bind9, libsasl2, cups

...can all be safely removed?
    Thanks again for your help!!

• That doesn't look like a standard OpenVz Ubuntu 12.04 install. Did you install all that stuff, or is it some custom template?

• Yes, you don't need it.

• I toyed with the idea of remote desktop but decided it wouldn't go on a 64mb box. I guess I could add xrdp to the list also? Thanks!

• Yep.

Thanked by 1sally
  • @pbalazs123 said:
    But i would suggest you to install the Debian 6-7 32bit minimal template. It's more easier if you're not familiar in linux.

Thanks a lot! I'll look into that also! Cheers.

• centOS is a pretty minimal OS too, you might want to consider that

• @BuyCPanel_Kevin said:
    centOS is a pretty minimal OS too, you might want to consider that

Thanks for the tip!!

• Exim definitely need to be gone =)