Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hosted Email - Location and Storage - Your opinion is needed.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hosted Email - Location and Storage - Your opinion is needed.

Hello,

I am currently working to start a new brand of hosted email, I have slowely been gathering .TLDs for the domain along with SSL certifactes.

I've been testing quite a few software and have made the decision on Virtualmin.

What I would like to know is if you were to buy hosted email which would you rather? (See Poll)

If you have any ideas you'd like to share or have any question please don't hesitate to ask.

Questions...
  1. Which of the following would you prefer?27 votes
    1. Access to multiple locations around the world (Non-Dedicated/Less Powerful)
      37.04%
    2. Access to single EU and USA locations only (Fully Dedicated)
      62.96%
  2. How much storage would you want?27 votes
    1. 1GB
      14.81%
    2. 5GB
      18.52%
    3. 10GB
      22.22%
    4. 20GB or more
      44.44%

Comments

• I see no reason why people should get hosted email this days. Put it simply even for free no one will trust their private information to be hosted with third parties.

Thanked by 3skagerrak FrankZ srv
  • @alexvolk said:
    I see no reason why people should get hosted email this days. Put it simply even for free no one will trust their private information to be hosted with third parties.

Self-hosting is mostly a fad attributed to nerds and dorks, hence it's slow adoption if any. With all due truth, the concept of hosted services will remain for a while.

Thanked by 1texteditor
  • @darknyan said:
    Self-hosting is mostly a fad attributed to nerds and dorks, hence it's slow adoption if any. With all due truth, the concept of hosted services will remain for a while.

Well, it's easy and cheap to get hosted email by yourself rather than 10 years ago and that's why that time hosted email was so popular.

• @alexvolk said:
    Well, it's easy and cheap to get hosted email by yourself rather than 10 years ago and that's why that time hosted email was so popular.

Some people know how to host their own email and some don't. Those that do will try it but may fail or just think well its the same price as a yearly vps ($15) and fully managed so why not.

Thanked by 1Gunter
  • rmlhhd said: Those that do will try it but may fail or just think well its the same price as a yearly vps ($15) and fully managed so why not.

I guess you mean, Those than don't... ?

• I believe there always be market for anything, including Hosted Email.

• Not everyone likes to be bothered with setting up a mailserver, personally i dont think that hosting your own mailserver is reliable anyways unless you are going to setup a custom failover network etc.

I pay 6 euros/year for my personal email hosting, totally worth it for me.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

It's difficult to compete with Google, Microsoft, Yahoo (is yahoo still in business? oh yeah I guess they are), etc.

Ah, but some people don't want their info in the hands of the giants. OK, for them there's Hushmail, Zoho, and numerous others.

Ah, but I'm going to provide ultra-secure highly encrypted ultimate privacy email. In which case you could be the next Lavabit.

• Google Apps w/ custom domain. Best of both worlds.

• I wouldn't host anything personal with a company or person based/from/citizen of the US and similar nations. I could only entrust a entity that is legally incorporated in a country that respects privacy that is owned by persons that have citizenship of that or similar countries.

Iceland and Norway seem OK so far. If OP is from one of these, sure why not...

Thanked by 1srv
  • OP is from UK, @kerouac

• I think we are the wrong people to ask.

• @rmlhhd said:
    OP is from UK, kerouac

Same as US