Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Questions about VPS for web server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Questions about VPS for web server

saulmmendozasaulmmendoza Member
edited January 2014 in Help

I want to make a little company to sell hosting+web design+web and social networks management for clients of my city(and but lets go step by step), cause all the current hosting companies are really expensive and low-mid quality, they sell 1GB Hosting+5GB Bandwidth for like $40/month and a simple web design for $400 USD(and no responsive/compatible with mobiles and tablets).

x1 VPS in USA: Our main vps, using nginX for web server
Note: I will be hosting plain HTML websites and Wordpress blogs really optimized(using gzip, putting all the html in one line plus cache) and I will use CloudFlare(free) to hide the IP.

x1 VPS in USA: For backups and If I can monitoring, I will download the most recent backup to my computer, but I want to have a daily backup of the web server hosted in a different location, I was looking in Backupsy.

So, after all the text, here my questions

A small VPS with 512MB of RAM or 1GB is ok?, I guess yes, but im not 100% sure about this.

XEN or KVM?, Prometeus offers XEN plans with really good prices and also KVM plans.

Im not sure about which provider I should choose, Prometeus(Dallas) or RamNode(Atlanta), the location is good, but the difference in votes its only 4 votes.

I really know the company will grow up, in the start we will be hosting my web sites(like a website of news of our city and like others 10 websites), and I hope that in no more than 2 months I finish an Apartment Management/Administration System(its funny how I get the idea of this, I was looking for an apartment and they are kinda expensive, and I want a discount so "hey, I can provide you this unique system, but gimme a cheap rent" :D) and sell a complete package(hosting+system+management).

Comments

• Well, and more than questions, im searching for suggestions or feedback, please be direct, I will support it

• MunMun Member

If you use Zpanel for your server you might as well pull out a gun and shoot yourself in the foot.

Thanked by 2rmlhhd FrankZ
  • Well, the clients dont know what a web panel or cPanel is, so purchasing cPanel is just a waste of money, all the companies here just want to pay and get the website working all day long

• @saulmmendoza said:
    Well, the clients dont know what a web panel or cPanel is, so purchasing cPanel is just a waste of money, all the companies here just want to pay and get the website working all day long

Use virtualmin if you want a stable free web site panel

• saulmmendoza said: Well, the clients dont know what a web panel or cPanel is, so purchasing cPanel is just a waste of money, all the companies here just want to pay and get the website working all day long

Then don't offer or install any panel.

• saulmmendozasaulmmendoza Member
    edited January 2014

Oh, I never searched about that, well more than thanks! Seriously! Im going for virtualmin
    And well, I have to offer a panel, from 10 clients, 2 want a panel cause they web developer or graphic designer "cant work without one"

Edit: Reading the threads, I see that Kloxo-MR and ISPConfig receive good feedback, im going to check it

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited January 2014

@saulmmendoza - Where are you located, This should be considered when picking VPS for local users. With telmex's funky routing do you go to the states though Dallas or Los Angeles? If Dallas go with Prometeus, CatalystHost or CloudShards. If Los Angeles I recommend Iniz or Hostigation. RamNode in Atlanta is a long way away for me, but Seattle is about the same ping as Dallas. All the above have been perfect providers for me. OpenVZ on any of these providers would be my recommendation.

EDIT: Or how about a Mexican Kick Start. I'll give you a 1GB, 30GB, 1TB OVZ VPS from We Love Servers in LA for a year + for Free. Or a 512MB, 30GB, 500GB OVZ VPS in Dallas. PM me if interested

Thanked by 1saulmmendoza
  • @saulmmendoza I would recommend Kloxo-MR if you want an easier installation and master/slave configuration.

However, for a more mature product go with ISPConfig3

Thanked by 1saulmmendoza
  • I currently use a 512MB RamNode OpenVZ VPS for my web server, and the up-time is amazing. Depending on the amount of websites you will be hosting, I would recommend starting at 512MB RAM, as you can always upgrade later as you go. If you will be the only one accessing the control panel, I would definitely recommend VirtualMin, it's very stable and does just about everything cPanel does.

Thanked by 1saulmmendoza
  • Have you tried vestacp yet?

• The ping from RamNode Atlanta, Prometeus Dallas, WLS LA is 70ms to 80ms.
    The ping from Catalyst and WLS Dallas is 40ms to 50ms.
    Thats using the free wifi from Axtel. The Dallas ping is great! but the 70 to 80ms is pretty good too.

My coworkers know about ISPConfig, but I will check info about Kloxo-MR and Vesta(first time I see vesta).

Again, thanks for all the feedback guys, I really appreciate it.