Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

lowendshared?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

lowendshared?

raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
edited March 2012 in General

I have a friend looking for shared cPanel hosting. I've used Dreamhost and love them but (a) they're not cPanel, and (b) at $9/month, they're about nine times what he'd like to pay :-)

I know SecureDragon and Hostigation have shared. Francisco's WHT sig used to advertise buyshared.net, but that's now some site advertising diet pills :-) I don't think Ramhost does.

Well, those are my fave VPS companies - but who else should I look at? Really the ideal would be cheap dollar-a-month hosting. There are free hosting places but they come and go a lot.

Yeah, I know, just get a LEB but some people don't want the sysadmin hassle :-)

Comments

• There are some pretty cheap DirectAdmin hosts (if you're willing to use DA). We have some $5/year offers every few months.

• nocomnocom Member

$0.75/mo 1sql from RamHost
    €0.75 Monthly 2sql or € 5.00/ yr WordPress Express from Prometeus

Established Free Hosting Service
    byethost and freewebhostingarea

• We have plans from $2.99 /Yr ~ https://www.bluevm.com/cart.php?gid=18

Not that anyone really buys them LOL

// End advertisement sorry I couldn't help it.

• AndriAndri Member

I have a WHM reseller account, using it with several friends and clients, plenty space and bandwidth left if you need some. :)

• HC_RoHC_Ro Member

What type of resources would you be expecting for 1/M 12/Year.

• check x10hosting.com
    click free hosting

• @joodle wat.

• I still have a buyshared.. Only the hosting tough, domain runs somewhere else now.. I would reccomend Ramhost Shared...

• @raindog308 said: know SecureDragon and Hostigation have shared.

My shared is designed for high resource sites, the shared servers are the same build as the VPS nodes, so I charge a bit more, but they are tanks. I do have an unpublished $3.99/mo rate for 30gb traffic 3gb disk, unlimited addon domains, includes softaculous https://hostigation.com/billing/cart.php?a=add&pid=60

• @miTgiB: Dude, you NEED to emphasize the high resource aspect on the shared page because (a) it is an important niche which may find refugees from the "unlimited" hosts and (b) not knowing about this aspect makes the prices look like a ripoff. :)

• @quirkyquark said: Dude, you NEED to emphasize the high resource aspect on the shared page because (a) it is an important niche which may find refugees from the "unlimited" hosts and (b) not knowing about this aspect makes the prices look like a ripoff. :)

Only on LET would people think $3.99/month for 3/30GB would be a ripoff.

• @quirkyquark said: it is an important niche which may find refugees

It is a almost dead niche in which I was the leader for a good long time. WordPress and peoples addiction to crap plugins may revive it though.

• I think most of my shared customers came from "Unlimited" providers, or providers that collapsed on them. Even had a few that were paying 50 a month for some sort of "Business" hosting. Most of them are on our 2.99 or 5.99 cPanel plans. We use litespeed rather than Apache, free offsite backups and all that.

Then again a lot of people just want a place to put their website without dealing with the behind the scenes aspect.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited April 2012

@raindog308 said: Francisco's WHT sig used to advertise buyshared.net, but that's now some site advertising diet pills :-)

We didn't have enough personal interest in the buyshared domain to continue with it and decided if we do the shared plans idea we'll do it under the BuyVM name.

The prices/resources were exactly like BuyVM offers, just it would be on cPanel and the free IP address would require full justification.

We may roll it at some point again, but likely after we're sold out of VM's :)

Francisco

• @Francisco said: We may roll it at some point again, but likely after we're sold out of VM's :)

DDOS-protect those servers and it'll generate a stampede.... ;)

• gsxgsx Member

The biggest problem with shared hosting is you really need a trusted provider. A "company" could simply have a reseller account, which can be bought on (gasp) eBay for $1 for a year...

• subigosubigo Member
    edited April 2012

@gsx said: The biggest problem with shared hosting is you really need a trusted provider. A "company" could simply have a reseller account, which can be bought on (gasp) eBay for $1 for a year...

So can a VPS provider. I host more resellers than I do VPS clients. The majority of my OpenVZ nodes are resellers.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@quirkyquark said: DDOS-protect those servers and it'll generate a stampede.... ;)

That's the plan ;)

Francisco

• gsxgsx Member

@Francisco If you do that, I'm in.