Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best Cloud Server host?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best Cloud Server host?

I've personally spent a few days toying around with a Ubiquity cloud server to see if I could get it to run my game servers since they have a location in chicago. Who do you guys think is the best cloud server host? (not vps, cloud server.)

Comments

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

What would the difference between a "VPS" and a "cloud server" be?

• joepie91 said: What would the difference between a "VPS" and a "cloud server" be?

Always thought that difference between VPS and "cloud server" is how you pay for resources. VPS - payment is based upon calendar periods, "cloud server" - pay-as-you-go for each used resource (like bw, io, cpu utilization and such). I would be grateful if someone could correct me on that.

• Looking at ubiquityhosting.com and their cloud servers, it's the same as a VPS server, but just in the cloud.
    There is two really good cloud hosts out there now, and that's iwSack.com if you need a server in the EU.
    The next is DigitalOcean, they have 5 locations to choose from, three in the US.

• @joepie91 said:

In my experience, this is the difference:

Cloud servers have their resources dispersed across multiple physical servers, essentially meaning that if one goes down, your service is still up, albeit crammed into less space. It also allows you to, unlike most vpses, use the full CPU core you are given. I'm not sure about other hosts but that is what I've seen so far

• @myhken said:
    Looking at ubiquityhosting.com and their cloud servers, it's the same as a VPS server, but just in the cloud.
    There is two really good cloud hosts out there now, and that's iwSack.com if you need a server in the EU.
    The next is DigitalOcean, they have 5 locations to choose from, three in the US.

My issue with DO is that I have no idea if/how well their cloud servers react to game servers EG Source Games

• GIANT_CRABGIANT_CRAB Member
    edited January 2014

Cloud computing is a measured on-demand self-service with a pool of shared resources, it has broad network access with rapid elasticity.

Source(s): Cloud Standards Customer Council

Also, you should look at Limestone Networks' cloud that will be coming Soon.

• @myhken said:
    Looking at ubiquityhosting.com and their cloud servers, it's the same as a VPS server, but just in the cloud.

On top of that, I have absolutely no idea where DO's DC's are by looking on their site

• @Void_Whisperer said:
    On top of that, I have absolutely no idea where DO's DC's are by looking on their site

http://reviews.myhken.com/20-day-review-of-digital-ocean/

• @myhken said:

I'm actually interested, despite some horror stories I've heard about DO. Do they have a test ip for their NY DC?

• I need to get ping, not the speed ;) Ping means alot when you are hosting game servers

• Try: 198.211.116.146 or i can have a VPS in NY in about 60 seconds

• @myhken said:
    Try: 198.211.116.146 or i can have a VPS in NY in about 60 seconds

http://startping.com/ping/198.211.116.146/52e512fa8c3dcf5d4ca04896
    That's going to be an issue for me. They have 80+ ping to multiple places in the US :/

• Here is my test IP from the NY2 DC: 107.170.28.98 (I will delete it within one hour)

• iwaswrongonceiwaswrongonce Member
    edited January 2014

@Void_Whisperer said:
    Cloud servers have their resources dispersed across multiple physical servers, essentially meaning that if one goes down, your service is still up, albeit crammed into less space. It also allows you to, unlike most vpses, use the full CPU core you are given. I'm not sure about other hosts but that is what I've seen so far

Eh, no. Technically speaking, a cloud server and a VPS are the same (most commercial clouds run Xen). It's how they are marketed, billed, and used that are different. VPS tends to follow the old server->client model. Cloud tends be associated with new technologies that abstract the details, and just focus on the service.

But a single cloud instance is not spread over multiple physical servers. Most sites just use multiple instances for scaling and load balancing purposes, which would be spread (typically) over different physical servers, and often also in different geographical locations.

• iWstack.com in europe.

Going to use it for my service, they provide an api and storage for your own templates.

• @iwaswrongonce said:
    But a single cloud instance is not spread over multiple physical servers. Most sites just use multiple instances for scaling and load balancing purposes, which would be spread (typically) over different physical servers, and often also in different geographical locations.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up :)

• Any better connection from my NY2 DO server?

http://startping.com/ping/107.170.28.98/52e514158c3dcf124dfef048

• @myhken said:
    Any better connection from my NY2 DO server?

http://startping.com/ping/107.170.28.98/52e514158c3dcf124dfef048

The issue is the 100ms+ ping to pheonix and the surrounding area

• You could not get it running on Ubiquity? I have game servers hosted on both Digital Ocean and Ubiquity's cheapest plans. While the games I host require only low resources, I would think they would work fine for any game server if you bump up the resources.

Digital Ocean NYC2 provides pretty solid latency for my servers but I have to also accommodate players for Europe which makes north east USA the best option for me. Chicago or Texas will probably be best for USA only. Ubiquity and Linode in Dallas have both worked well for me. But I use Ubiquity since I can run on the $4 per month plan vs Linodes $20.

• All of the DigitalOcean speed test urls are pingable if you want to look at everyone of their datacenters for ping.

http://speedtest-sfo1.digitalocean.com/ is the SF datacenter. There are links to all the other datacenters in that url

• c0yc0y Member

@joepie91 said:

@Void_Whisperer said:

Nah, cloud is just a buzzword for a provider that acts big, has your server floating up in the air with no clue when it will be crashing down. /sarcasm

Cloud is a ruined term, it's practically a different word for internet these days...

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • @DH22 said:
    You could not get it running on Ubiquity? I have game servers hosted on both Digital Ocean and Ubiquity's cheapest plans. While the games I host require only low resources, I would think they would work fine for any game server if you bump up the resources.

Digital Ocean NYC2 provides pretty solid latency for my servers but I have to also accommodate players for Europe which makes north east USA the best option for me. Chicago or Texas will probably be best for USA only. Ubiquity and Linode in Dallas have both worked well for me. But I use Ubiquity since I can run on the $4 per month plan vs Linodes $20.

Steamcmd didn't work initially, it eventually did