Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

privacy law or policy in the US for customers.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

privacy law or policy in the US for customers.

kyakykyaky Member

I have some products and services with a US company. All of a sudden, they asked me to provide a digital copy of my ID for identity verification. I sent the files to them because they are large company and I still want to do business with them.

I wonder if one day I'm not with them anymore. Is there a law, a policy or something for customer privacy protection that I can use to ask them to delete my personal information or the data containing my privacy?

Thanks

Comments

• @kyaky said:
    I have some products and services with a US company. All of a sudden, they asked me to provide a digital copy of my ID for identity verification. I sent the files to them because they are large company and I still want to do business with them.

I wonder if one day I'm not with them anymore. Is there a law, a policy or something for customer privacy protection that I can use to ask them to delete my personal information or the data containing my privacy?

Thanks

They may have to keep it for up to seven (7) years for tax purposes. Again, this depends on the locality heavily. We do not ask for personal identification, (only in special cases where MaxMind is dead set on you being 99% fraud... we've had this happen once for a legitimate order); and we delete the information from our systems / disks once it has been verified as legitimate.)

• @HardCloud said:
    They may have to keep it for up to seven (7) years for tax purposes. Again, this depends on the locality heavily. We do not ask for personal identification, (only in special cases where MaxMind is dead set on you being 99% fraud... we've had this happen once for a legitimate order); and we delete the information from our systems / disks once it has been verified as legitimate.)

Thanks for the info.

• @kyaky said:

No, there isn't. They can retain it indefinitely (and probably will in case you ever renew services).

• kyakykyaky Member
    edited January 2014

@HardCloud said:

MaxMind might be 99% correct. but sometimes it's 100% stupid, actually some people are more stupid than the system.

It reminded me of an experience last year with a company called ssdnodes. I was visiting my families in China. I bought a VPS from them. the MaxMind set the order as fraud. I sent my Aussie ID to them for verification. They sound like, "you can't an Asian face on a white country's ID card. That can't be right. You must be fraudulent." And I thought ftw? I asked them if I could try the VPS after I went back to Australia so the IP would match the address. They said no because MaxMind told them the risk was still too high. yeah, I was talking about a 5 bulks worth VPS.

• kyakykyaky Member
    edited January 2014

This time is another US company asking me to provide ID copy I guess it's because of the Chinese surname and the accent. getting tired of this. I'm not very surprised anymore since I heard a friend of mine in the US said the priest in a Church told them Iranians were terrorists.

• @kyaky said:
    This time is another US company asking me to provide ID copy

is it just for a purchase, for credit card authentication? If so, no surprise, US online banking protocols are antiquated. I had unpleasant experiences, some about few dollars, and some about bigger money (airline tickets, delayed and twice more expensive because idiotic lack of sane authentication).

• skagerrakskagerrak Member
    edited January 2014

@kyaky said:

Make sure that your domestic law actually allows you to send a copy of an ID-card to a foreign company. Some countries explicitly forbid this or they at least regulate that the serial-# is not saved and the copy itself is only temporarily used to verify your identity.

• Is the large company you mentioned NSA, Level3, Google, Microsoft or Amazon?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

It does not matter what the law says in US, even the constitution is moot because the people in power are allowed to interpret it as they wish. Nobody will go to a long trial for this, so, the law is irrelevant.

Thanked by 1kyaky