Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to fix Digital Ocean networking?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to fix Digital Ocean networking?

I was doing some fiddling with Digital Ocean and the networking fails to start now.

Is there some way of going through the network detection process automatically and getting it to repair itself? Something like modprobing or lsmod etc, so that it can find them or using modprobe and lsmod against a specific device name?

Is there a way of detecting what network device is in use or of getting the kernel to repair itself?

What is the default network adapter used by Digital Ocean?

Comments

• how about destroying the instance and create a new one? just backup stuff somewhere

• @jcaleb said:
    how about destroying the instance and create a new one? just backup stuff somewhere

I can do that, but I need to develop my system admin skills. I think it should be repairable.

• Can you be more specific about the error? What does ping show or is the device not even up?

• I fixed it by changing eth0 to eth1 in /etc/network/interfaces and it worked. I rsynced some data from another VM into it, and must have resulted in the existing adapter being seen as a new one and given a new id.

• ChumbiChumbi Member
    edited January 2014

@rchurch said:
    I fixed it by changing eth0 to eth1 in /etc/network/interfaces and it worked. I rsynced some data from another VM into it, and must have resulted in the existing adapter being seen as a new one and given a new id.

Often when network interfaces get renamed unintentionally, it's because of udev (possibly you overwrote its settings with your rsync operation). You can try to modify using udev to get back your eth0 interface. Edit the file “/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules“; If eth1 is your network interface now, you should rename eth1 to eth0 in that file. If there is already a eth0 entry (perhaps with a different MAC address from your rsynced old VM), delete it first).

Thanked by 1rchurch
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

You should also delete any reference to MAC addresses, /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethx where x is 0, 1, etc.
    If you template it often you might also wish to make the udev rules non-executable.
    I am assuming you use centos 6 of some sort from that you wrote so far.

Thanked by 1rchurch
  • The problem was in “/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules. In fact it was the first place I considered looking but when I tried to edit with 'nano' I typed it incorrectly and thought it wasn't used when the file came up empty. I should have used 'cat' to test for it instead.

I used rsync for the image transfer and excluded files like /etc/network/interfaces, /etc/hosts, /etc/fstab, /boot etc, but forgot to add /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules. I will now add it the --exclude-from list next time.

Thanked by 1howardsl2