Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hostsign??
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hostsign??

yomeroyomero Member
edited March 2012 in General

Found this in my spam some minutes ago

At the beginning of the year we purchased the remaining hardware, domain names, nominet tags and licenses from the old HostSign.co.uk company.

Whilst our initial intention was to simply recycyle the hardware, upon our inspections we found that there are a number of live client's on the hardware we now own. We also found a full working copy of the HostSign website, and client system/database.

We have therefore intially restored the HostSign website, and any possible associated services. Please note whilst new orders will be accepted at HostSign.co.uk, we have no immediate plans to offer any $1 VPS products.

On inspection of the hardware we have, it is apparant we have a large number of VPS' running. We plan to give 30 days notice of termination of these VPS', and would urge anyone with an active, in-use VPS to open a support ticket so we can discuss the continuation of service.

Please note we are not in a position to deal with any billing/refund requests, we have simply purchased a large amount of hardware and have no past dealings with the running of the HostSign business.

Dafuq is this? :D
Still someone has a live vps with them? :S

Comments

• @yomero said: Whilst our initial intention was to simply recycyle the hardware,

That's kinda... slimey.. of them. 'specially when you can pick up used server hardware anywhere.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited March 2012

I wonder what retarted company sells their old hardware without wiping the HDDs first.
    edit: or i misunderstood and they didn't buy/sell the hardware yet, just intend to?

• HostSign still owe me a few hundred quid.

• LESLES Member

Jesus what a gift, a disk full of user data sets. This is such a f**king shit!

• Yeah, got that email too.
    Looks like HostSign decided to recycle their hardware to someone else without formatting/wiping and just said 'here you go'.

It's quite hard to believe actually. Ugh.

• @Blackstorm72 said: Yeah, got that email too.

Looks like HostSign decided to recycle their hardware to someone else without formatting/wiping and just said 'here you go'.

It's quite hard to believe actually. Ugh.

VolumeDrive once gave me a additional HD that had someone else's entire OS and client files on it.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited March 2012

Damn, people/companies actually do this? It's not just stupid, it's... something they should go to jail for.

Thanked by 1LES
  • @rds100 said: Damn, people/companies actually do this? It's not just stupid, it's... something they should go to jail for.

Technically HostSign broke the Data Protection Act, and this new company is also doing it (whoever brought the hardware) by offering clients their data.

So this is illegal.

• @Daniel said: VolumeDrive once gave me a additional HD that had someone else's entire OS and client files on it.

Meh, VD has it's issues. I'm not saying its impossible, but it sounds fishy.

However just to magically come upon hard drives with vps's on them, and then to launch the site again and saying they have no affiliation with the old hostsign for billing sounds like they want to start up again as the old selves but masking behind it.

Just speculation. It just sounds fishy that they want to start up the service again, and it magically was handed to a company that just wanted to start up a vps company. Heh.

• @Blackstorm72 said: However just to magically come upon hard drives with vps's on them, and then to launch the site again and saying they have no affiliation with the old hostsign for billing sounds like they want to start up again as the old selves but masking behind it.

Yes.

If they brought the hardware, how comes they have the IPs and Domains?

VERY Fishy.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited March 2012

They got hardware, domain names, nominet tags, licenses, fully working website and then also... complete customer databasa and then also customer accounts on hardware. All this by "coincidence"? Yeah, right!
    People don't be that stupid.. that's either HostSign.co.uk return either they sold everything on purpose and now someone decided that it's time to make some profit from it.

edit. @Blackstorm72 was faster :)

• @Daniel said: VolumeDrive once gave me a additional HD that had someone else's entire OS and client files on it.

The same thing happened to me at DimeNoc.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@subigo said: The same thing happened to me at DimeNoc.

FDC over here.

Also had a friend get the same thing and he had a big chat with them about how dumb it was that they couldn't use shred/dd to wipe the data.

Francisco

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Well although its harder with ext3 than ext2, if you only rm -Rf it is still possible to recover the files from an ext3 file system if that was someone aim as it only free's/marks the blocks to be writeable again

Obviously the longer the disks have been in use again the more unlikely that recovery becomes.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

its not the time before you that counts, its the time after the rm -Rf :)

• vedranvedran Veteran

According to WHMCS I still have a VPS with them. It won't boot from Solus tho

• @DotVPS wiping the disks should be a standard procedure. However you shouldn't expect them to never use your old IP again.

• I can't help but wonder... if they had no qualms about reactivating the old billing platform and digging through it, how many containers do you think they're snooping around in?

• @DotVPS yes, solusvm seems to assigns IPs in alphabetical order. So when your VPS is cancelled, it's IP is returned in the free IP pool and it is usually the first free IP in alphabetical order... So the next VPS created will take your old IP.

• @DotVPS ah, no idea about this then :) Never touched ubersmith.