Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS for VPN
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS for VPN

samblingsambling Member
edited January 2014 in Requests

Hello everyone,

I lurk the LET forums quite a bit- they are an excellent resource and some really interesting discussions occur.

I'm looking at starting a small VPN service using a few VPSes. This VPN service will be "free" but only accessible once a person has subscribed and the passwords will be reset (at least that is how I am planning it).

The VPN will be setup using OpenVPN and all ports will be blocked except those for web browsing.

The main concern that I have is torrenting on the service. I don't want to log the VPN, (because a VPN is supposed to protect anonymity) and from what I have read I don't have to (check TOR) but nor do I want the VPN to be used for illegal file sharing.

To limit torrenting:
- Port blocks except 80,53, ssh and openvpn ports.
- Block torrent websites themselves with a DNS filter.
- Possibly log certain days and investigate traffic, handing over information to authorities (not sure if that is possible). Informing users of this should limit torrenting.

From what I have read it is basically impossible to stop torrenting entirely.

That's the background. I am looking for VPSes with the following specs:

Ram: 256mb
Disk: 3-5gb
Bandwidth: 300Gb - 1Tb on 100mb/s + (pref. 1Gb/s). I would prefer no overage charges, just a shutdown VPS. 

If you as a provider already limit p2p via a router then that would be absolutely fantastic!! All DMCA complaints should be forwarded to me. If there are traffic spikes and it is affecting other node users then I don't mind if the VPS is shutdown.

Budget: I notice that Ramnode and 123systems.net have good deals (on LET/LEB) which suit my needs. I have no problems paying on longer terms (max. annually) for a better deal.

Thank you and apologies for the long post!!

Comments

• Thanks to a few providers I no longer need this.

• care to share any info ?...

• its almost impossible to block torrent..what you can do is just waiting for any DMCA complaints...

• said: To limit torrenting:

Won't help really. It will cause some hassle, but it still won't stop torrents completely, especially if users know what he's doing.