Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Setting up a home network (LAN)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Setting up a home network (LAN)

Hello,

We have two mac books and a iMac in our house, we also have a few windows laptops i would like to change the OS to Mac OS (Possible?)

Anyway, i want to set up a home network like all the computers are connected to the LAN, and when you login , you can log into any PC connected, so all your files are stored on a central server.

Best/cheapest way?

Have fun!

Comments

• You could set up a network drive (I know how to do it on Windows, not so sure on mac osx) so that all the computers could share a drive. You'll just need a physical networked drive, you can get one for 100$ at bestbuy

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

said: i would like to change the OS to Mac OS (Possible?)

Possible but not full compatible with everything and its easier with desktops vs laptops. Not worth the trouble.

said: Anyway, i want to set up a home network like all the computers are connected to the LAN, and when you login , you can log into any PC connected

You might be able to setup something with RDP / VNC to do this. RDP for the windows or VNC will work for both Mac and PC. The Macs can also connect a share the screen of any other mac on the local network by going through Finder and finding the computer, clicking on it and using the share screen button on the top right corner of the finder window

• i am using BarracudaDrive with a 2TB HD on an old XP PC,

Very, Very, Very (did i say vesy) easy to install, even ssl is an easy install, has cms and forum ready to go - but you can remove if you wish

can use many other os's: Windows, Mac, Linux, Raspberry Pi edition, Online VPS, My Book Live (Linux), SheevaPlug (Linux), Synology NAS (Linux)

http://barracudadrive.com/

http://barracudadrive.com/download.lsp