Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Variable remote desktop performance in different OS choices
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Variable remote desktop performance in different OS choices

prometheanpromethean Member
edited January 2014 in General

Hey folks,

I'm wondering if this is a phenomenon anyone else has observed, and may have an explanation. I have had highly variable desktop experiences with the only factor I have isolated as the OS

In a single HVM VPS, I created & destroyed/reinstalled 3 different operating systems. Measurable network performance was equivalent, with avg ping time ~30ms 1-2% packet loss in each OS (that's probably my home connection though).

Debian 7.2

Windows 2008

Windows 2012

Debian was a standard install, no extra packages selected at install, followed by XRDP & IceWM for the desktop environment. The Windows setups were also the standard base, no additional roles or features.

Debian, my 1st choice, performed very poorly. Lag was near to a full second in interface responsiveness. I trashed it, changed to the appropriate drivers for Windows, and reinstalled with 2008.

Win 2008 was much better, but still had a very noticeable lag from what I would expected. I trashed it, and reinstalled with 2012

Win 2012 performs perfectly for interface responsiveness, rarely any noticeable lag

This is something I have seen in different providers too: In AWS/EC2, Win 2003 was awful, but 2008 was fine. Ubuntu Server with XRDP & IceWM was awful, Ubuntu Desktop with IceWM was fine. In all cases, services & background RAM usage was minimal.

Comments

• I don't think xrdp does a very good job in compression, it is more like a bridge between RDP and VNC protocol.

The native RDP client/server in Windows, on the other hand, does a good job with compression.

• @zhuanyi Yes, I agree. It seems to perform much better than VNC, but not as well as native RDP. (I would go with FreeNX if there were a wider client variety, in particular a good HTML5 client) However, I have used XRDP on a 128mb VPS and had responsiveness that was as good as anything I have with Windows. There seems to be a factor beyond protocol & network performance.