Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why people would want their own audio/video streaming on a remote server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why people would want their own audio/video streaming on a remote server

Just out of curiosity, I can understand why people wants to stream movies/music at home but if someone is streaming on a remote server (as a private stream of course, not like one of those online music stations) then the only purpose I can see is to play music/movies via 4G while being outside. However would it be just more convenient for people to save all the music on their own IPOD or movies on their own tablet? (Granted not the full collection). Would that be more stable (since I would assume the 4G signal won't be good at all places people goes to all the time) that way?

Comments

• I need to to restream a TV channel, which isn't available to my friends or in my second place of living. The source of stream doesn't have bandwidth to have more than two simultaneous streams, so I stream it to server and from there to all clients.

• Makenai said: to all clients.

So you are doing this for clients, but some people have their own private streaming which doesn't really make sense to me...

• ndelaespadandelaespada Member, Host Rep

@Makenai said:
    I need to to restream a TV channel, which isn't available to my friends or in my second place of living. The source of stream doesn't have bandwidth to have more than two simultaneous streams, so I stream it to server and from there to all clients.

So is it friends or clients?

• I've set it up for a family friend, so they can remotely access their CCTV stream.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

I think that by clients he means the device @ndelaespada

Thanked by 1ndelaespada
  • A lot of TV content providers freely stream their content, but only to certain geographical regions, e.g., BBC.

• MakenaiMakenai Member
    edited January 2014

@ndelaespada said:
    So is it friends or clients?

Friends, and the channel is FTA anyway... Just not everyone has a satellite dish.

• promethean said: A lot of TV content providers freely stream their content, but only to certain geographical regions, e.g., BBC.

Would having a VPN easier than setting up, say, a Plex server?

• It is useful for a few reasons:
    1) The server can download the file much faster than your home internet.
    2) Plex can transcode live so you can watch it on various devices.
    3) Not all devices have enough (or any) storage capacity. For example a Roku box doesn't have any local storage. It's cheaper to stream from a remote server than to pay for a local PC running 24/7.

• @zhuanyi said: would it be just more convenient for people to save all the music on their own IPOD or movies on their own tablet?

Not for me: I use many tablets and internet connected devices, because some are more suited to specific applications than others, and because I leave them at different places to avoid carrying them. They dont'have enough internal memory and I don't want to waste time syncing each one of them to add content. I simply upload to the remote VPS, and I can stream or download the music anytime with any device.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@makenai what channel is this?

• MakenaiMakenai Member
    edited January 2014

@netomx said:
    makenai what channel is this?

KBS World

• Maybe these people don't want to store their music locally, that's the only reason I can think of

• I stream music mostly for me and others alike, so wherever I go I plug in and listen to my favorites. It's convenient.