Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CPU Usage - VPS that doesn't reboot but instead throttles
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

CPU Usage - VPS that doesn't reboot but instead throttles

Hi,

I'm with VPSDIME and i'm really loving their service. It's great and I can't complain in that regard.

HOWEVER

If your CPU usage spikes for a few hours then they will automatically reboot your VPS. This isn't ideal. Are there any providers that provide say 4vCPU's but then throttle to 1 or 2 if usage is high as opposed to a REBOOT.

Thanks,

Comments

• What application do you use that use that much CPU resources?

• said: If your CPU usage spikes for a few hours

Do you run at 100% during this time on 4 CPU's?

• The only case i've had on this is where BIND usage spiked (possibly an attack, i'm not sure ) when I installed Zpanel for test purposes.

I'd basically not like to move all my web stuff to a VPS and have it bomb if some erroneous process messes up. I'd instead like it to be limited so that I can have time to attend when im free, whilst it limps on.

• Use cpulimit on that specific process?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

zPanel is notoriously insecure, if Bind spikes then it is participating in a DDoS attack in most cases, there is no other reason why a dns server will suddenly hog CPU aside from malfunctioning (but it is incredibly robust, tested in many large deployments so it must be an open recursive resolver).

Thanked by 2Mark_R Infinity
  • Our limits are not really something you'd hit on a regular usage basis. In your case, your VPS probably sent outgoing DoS attack and used lots of CPU, therefore got rebooted. If you are running legit applications, it's really hard for you to hit the limits.

We allow you to peak 2 of your vCPU fully for 2 hours or 4 of your vCPUs for 1 hour.

We reboot the VPS instead of suspending :)

Oktay

• use vesta CP. Very simple and highly customizeable.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

You couldcalways use thst abusive cores brand of drserver you can run that at 100% 24X7 :)

Thanked by 1drserver
  • If you really need to abuse some cpu like @AnthonySmith said, use @drserver abusivecores. Or get a small dedicated somewhere.

Thanked by 1drserver
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Maounique said:
    zPanel is notoriously insecure, if Bind spikes then it is participating in a DDoS attack in most cases, there is no other reason why a dns server will suddenly hog CPU aside from malfunctioning (but it is incredibly robust, tested in many large deployments so it must be an open recursive resolver).

This.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • I am with a enterprise level company, sometimes my vps try to touch cpu cores at its limit, so http connection goes down for few minute and comes to remain normal cpu usage, its best thing if anyone know how to do that it in cpanel.

• @serverian what sort of reboot is it btw? For example if I'm running redis and want to minimise data loss, do you issue an orderly shutdown request (with a timeout leading to poweroff) or is it a straight up poweroff/boot situation?