Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cloud KVM Provider
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cloud KVM Provider

AsimAsim Member

Im looking for cloud KVM providers who charge by the hour and have automated-provisioning

I use it to experiment with things and then later delete it when not required. Im using DigitalOcean.com but they only allow 1 IPv4 per instance so it has its limitations.

Comments

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

iwstack?

Thanked by 2Asim Maounique
  • myhkenmyhken Member
    edited January 2014

+1 for iwStack. Don't think you will find any better out there.
    They charge €1/mo for every extra IP.

Thanked by 2Asim Maounique
  • PatrickPatrick Member
    edited January 2014

LunaCloud / RackSpace / PhoenixNAP Secure Cloud ($50 free credit promo)

• @INIZ said:
    LuneCloud / RackSpace

Can't even find LuneCloud on google?

• @myhken said:
    Can't even find LuneCloud on google?

Luna*

Thanked by 1myhken
  • Yes iwstack are superb @Asim bhai believe me you won't find a better cloud server at prices they charge.

Btw iwstack use cloudstack, was wondering what do DigitalOcean use?

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • PatrickPatrick Member
    edited January 2014

@Sledger said:
    Btw iwstack use cloudstack, was wondering what do DigitalOcean use?

It's not really a cloud (SAN/Failover/User Firewall etc.) like iwStack, its cloud because they have pay per hour and it's marketed that way. It's really just a KVM box.

• Don't want to hijack the thread, but I'm still looking for a cloud host that don't charge for turned off instances like iwStack. LunaCloud do only charge 50% for turned off servers, but still, their prices is more then triple of iwStack (1 GB, 2vCore, 50 GB disk, 100 GB bw) = £26.83/mo at LunaCloud and £7.88/mo at iwStack.

• myhken said: Don't want to hijack the thread, but I'm still looking for a cloud host that don't charge for turned off instances l

You'd be lucky if you find someone like this, you are still using disk & IP space so will always be charged.

Thanked by 2myhken Maounique
  • @myhken You could use Amazon EC2 spot instances. It runs as low as $3~$4 per month. Make an AMI and terminate the instance, and you are only charged for the snapshot.

You can even have two IP addresses. Please refer to my comment at the other thread:
    http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/20474/list-of-providers-offering-internal-ip-addresses

• @hwdsl2: as I always use several backup servers for my main servers (@iwStack) I was looking for a place there I could have both a live backup server and maybe on server standing by. The lowest price I can find on Amazon is the Micro instance with 0.6 GB of RAM, at it cost $14.4/mo. For 1.7 GB (m1.small) the price is $46.8/mo
    Thats really to high for just a backup server, almost never used because iwStack/Prometeus have no/very little downtime at all.

• @Asim +1 for IWStack, while I'm doing Cloud; I won't be offering per-hour (not that kind of SaaS / cloud.)

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • howardsl2howardsl2 Member
    edited January 2014

@myhken There are spot instances that can go as low as 0.003/hr for micro instances in the N. Virginia region or 0.004/hr for the N. California region. So the lowest you can get is ~$2.25 per month not including I/O or snapshot charges.

However those instances can be terminated at any time whenever your "bid price" is no longer higher than the current price. With that said, I observed in the N. California region the spot price for micro instance seems very stable at $0.004 for the past month, so you may be able to bid for example $0.005 and run the instance for a long time. Remember to backup regularly by making AMIs of the running instance (and delete older AMIs).

For a spot small instance the lowest seems to be 0.0071/hr.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@myhken said:
    Don't want to hijack the thread, but I'm still looking for a cloud host that don't charge for turned off instances like iwStack. LunaCloud do only charge 50% for turned off servers, but still, their prices is more then triple of iwStack (1 GB, 2vCore, 50 GB disk, 100 GB bw) = £26.83/mo at LunaCloud and £7.88/mo at iwStack.

iwStack does not charge the full whack for turned off instances, only the resources you are using e.g. IP address and disk space, not memory, CPU etc.

• @Infinity said:
    iwStack does not charge the full whack for turned off instances, only the resources you are using e.g. IP address and disk space, not memory, CPU etc.

I know, looking for another hosts that do the same for my backup servers.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

say what you will about their pricing but Rackspace is an absolutely fantastic provider. Of course, their managed services are expensive, but their pricing is surprisingly competitive for their cloud servers.

Keep in mind that Rackspace mostly deals with businesses so their network is very clean and well maintained and monitored. And they offer 24/7 phone/live chat/email/ticket support.

• Spot instances on ec2 are the best kept open secret ;) @myhken you can also buy reserve instances. A full utilization micro comes in under $10

Thanked by 1ballard26
  • +1 Spot instances on ec2.

1. You create an EBS volume where you will be storing your backups.
    2. Launch a spot instance at the nearest region closest to your location.
    3. Mount the EBS volume to your spot instance.
    4. Start backing up.
    5. After the back up is done, unmount the EBS volume, destroy the spot instance.

You can automate all the steps above. : )

Thanked by 1Asim
  • thanks so much guys for iwstack.com (which I already have an account but forgot I had one) and for spot-instances on EC2

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Asim said: iwstack.com (which I already have an account but forgot I had one)

LOL, how could you do that...
    (Damn just had a small earthquake again...)

Thanked by 1Asim
  • @Maounique said:
    Asim said: iwstack.com (which I already have an account but forgot I had one)

>

LOL, how could you do that... (Damn just had a small earthquake again...)

I did sth similar, ordered @serverian 's vpsdime twice , forgot about the first one :)

• @Fliphost said:
    iwstack?

+1

• JupiterJupiter Member
    edited January 2014

I use spot instances on ec2 for same purpose. There are some 100$ coupons you can find periodically.