Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Create VPS With Failover IP's? Proxmox
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Create VPS With Failover IP's? Proxmox

JeffreyJeffrey Member
edited March 2012 in General

So, I finally got my own dedicated server and I ordered extra IP's for it. I bought it through a reseller and they gave me "failover" IP addresses. Remember, this is an OVH box. I have installed proxmox and I cannot ping a single VPS I make with the IP I give it. Do I have to do something special with this "Failover IP"? Can I assign a Failover IP to a VPS? Do I have to add a certain setting to proxmox? The reason why I am using Proxmox is because the OVH boxes come with custom kernels, which don't support the OpenVZ Kernel.

Comments

• AsimAsim Member

Check if the IPs you are assigning are actually pointing to your box. NO idea about proxmox so cant really say what config might be missing

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I don't know proxmox specifically, but most failover schemes are based on a VIP that moves between boxes. Box A fails, box B detects this, and brings up the VIP on its ethernet port. All services connect to the VIP, not to the boxes' physical IPs.