Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subscribe to our newsletter

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

Latest LowEndBox Offers

Whats the ideal vps plan and price for you?
    New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

Whats the ideal vps plan and price for you?

SrvisLLCSrvisLLC Member, Provider
    edited March 2012 in General

I would love to hear what people want most. I think creating a VPS plan for yourself is the best idea. Now be realistic about this and not 10000TB of hdd space or anything.

Here's my Ideal Plan:

Ram: 1GB ( a small minecraft server / file backup )
    vSwap: 512MB
    Bandwidth: 200GB-1TB ( might need more than 200GB if I backup and use minecraft daily)
    Location: Near Michigan (not because I provide services there but because I live there lol)
    IPv4's: 2
    HDD Space: 50GB ( backups of my data, perhaps use this like dropbox )
    Price: About $7/m

Whats your ideal plan?

Comments

• I'm always looking for geographically-diverse nodes for my DNS project.

My ideal:
      Virt: OpenVZ
      Ram: 128mb
      Vswap or burst: +32mb
      HD space: 4gb
      Bandwidth: at least 20gb
      IPv4: 1
      IPv6: 1+
      Price: $2 or less

Thanked by 2TheHackBox NanoG6
    • My ideal:
      Xen
      256 MB of Ram
      10 GB HDD
      200 GB BW
      One IPV4 address
      2+ IPV6 addresses
      Price: $6-7

This signature is brought to you by the NSA. Spying on the entire world since 1952!

• @Damian said: My ideal:

Virt: OpenVZ
      Vswap or burst: +32mb
      Price: $2 or less

Virt: XEN HVM
      Vswap or burst: +128mb
      Price: $20-25 Yearly

Is it possible? :D

FREE $$$ DigitalOcean credit (affiliate link) || My VPS is being provided for free by Evolution Host
    • AndriAndri Member

Xen
      256 MB of RAM
      512 MB Swap
      5 GB HDD
      150 GB BW
      1 IPv4
      1+ IPv6
      Anywhere in US or UK that has low latency to Asia
      $3 or less

Thanked by 2NanoG6 TheHackBox
      I trust Namesilo for my domains. Use DOLLARLESS for $1 discount.
    • @NanoG6: I'd say so. After quickpacket, hostpolar, BGSA, vps6, and alienlayer, I'm definately not paying any more than quarterly for my containers.

• @Damian said: I'd say so. After quickpacket, hostpolar, BGSA, vps6, and alienlayer, I'm definately not paying any more than quarterly for my containers.

Well it depends, if the provider is you, @prometeus, @KuJoe, or any other well-known provider here in LET, I don't mind to pay yearly ;)

FREE $$$ DigitalOcean credit (affiliate link) || My VPS is being provided for free by Evolution Host
    • SrvisLLCSrvisLLC Member, Provider
      edited March 2012

@NanoG6 said: Virt: XEN HVM

Vswap or burst: +128mb
      Price: $20-25 Yearly

Is it possible? :D

I could do OpenVZ easily on that lol. If I ever see a Xen provider doing that
      little muscle in my brain says "don't make that server sitting next to you xen (although I totally could)"
      lol Picture of server sitting next to me ( don't mind the fact theirs no HDD's, they are in the mail ):
      Edit: also don't mind the loose cable, just plugged it in *HDD light

Although if you can add another $10/m to that:
      http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/inception-hosting-xen-pv-from-32year-in-phoenix-netherlands/
      Still PV though.

• Yeah right :D
      And by the way why it seems like XEN HVM is more expensive than KVM? :-/

• SrvisLLCSrvisLLC Member, Provider

@nanoG6
      I have no idea, I would think KVM would be worth more lol

• I wouldn't say KVM has disk I/O issues.

16384+0 records in
      16384+0 records out
      1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 7.21968 s, 149 MB/s

This signature is brought to you by the NSA. Spying on the entire world since 1952!

• More than likely, Yes.

• @kbar said: there's some problems with kvm.... like disk io

Kiloserve KVM (Virtio with CentOS 6):

dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=16k count=768k conv=fdatasync;rm -f test
      786432+0 records in
      786432+0 records out
      12884901888 bytes (13 GB) copied, 35.3628 s, 364 MB/s
      FreeVPS.us - The oldest post to host VPS provider
    • @ErrantWeb said: I have no idea, I would think KVM would be worth more lol

I haven't try HVM so I can't compare it myself.
      I have this Linux VPS with s390 platform from IBM, how do I know what virtualization they are using?

• cosmicgatecosmicgate Member
      edited March 2012

My ideal ones would be something like:

KVM or maybe Xen
      10GB HDD space
      512mb ram
      1,5-2tb bandwidth

for $7 . I know this is ridiculous but if i see that kind of offer i know i won't pass it. I'm sure everyone would say the same.

OpenVZ
      50GB
      1gb ram-2GB RAM
      100Gb bandwidth

$7.

Actually the chicagovps 2gb ram offer was amazing. I;m not sure how they did it but its pretty much the mother of all offer for this year.

vpsdash.com - Tips and tricks in life, information and technology news to get things done

• 1gb disk
      16mb ram
      3gb bw
      $0.75 month

Thanked by 1Amfy
    • VPNshVPNsh Member, Provider

OpenVZ
      1024mb ram
      2048mb burst
      150gb hdd
      1tb bw

Any price that's not insanely different from the total of my 2 current boxes (13USD/month).

Any idea what my chances of finding a box like that are :P?

VPN.sh - Secure and Affordable VPN services - £9.99/year, Unlimited Bandwidth, 20+ Countries - Order Link

• @liamwhithers there was chicagovps 2GB RAM for $7/month, but it was with "only" 50GB HDD.

-

• Xen HVM
      758mb ram
      50gb hdd
      800gb bandwidth
      italy
      20€/month NOT oversold

Ponies are g&y.

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Provider

@rds100 Yeahh, I've already got the Chicago one :D.. would just love a slightly bigger HDD, and maybe a tad better dl/ul speed, but other than that it's great :D

VPN.sh - Secure and Affordable VPN services - £9.99/year, Unlimited Bandwidth, 20+ Countries - Order Link

• @Damian said: I'd say so. After quickpacket, hostpolar, BGSA, vps6, and alienlayer, I'm definately not paying any more than quarterly for my containers.

I hope you didn't have some problem with our service? Is there anything I should know about?

VPS6.NET, LP - http://vps6.net - Xen PV, HVM, Windows VPS hosting in USA, DE, RO, and TR.

• @Damian said: quickpacket

What was wrong with quickpacket?

• @vps6net: Ticket #666917. I was having some issues with lack of connectivity from our servers that I wasn't experiencing with VPS nodes. The fact that it was hosted, literally, halfway around the world may have something to do with it. That issue, combined with a change in the target market for the project that it was part of, meant that we didn't need to keep it.

My statement here was more of a statement that in the future, I'm not going to pay for a longer term of service than quarterly til I determine if the service fits my needs. It was NOT to speak poorly of VPS6's service; I was considering VPS6 for Los Angeles connectivity, since it appears that Hostitek has died.

• fanfan Member
      edited March 2012

Xen PV/HVM or KVM:

Ram: 256mb
      Disk: 10gb
      Bandwidth: 200gb
      Located in West Coast, not routing through nlayer since it recently had some issues of connectivity with my ISP
      @about $5, can be doubled if it's with peer1

• @dancom96 said: What was wrong with quickpacket?

Node instability and connectivity issues. The node that I was on rebooted 6 to 10 times in the month that I used their service. I can't imagine that there's much reason for continual reboots on OpenVZ. I've figured out how to keep our own VPS nodes up, even with vswap, so it doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling when I'm on a host where there isn't the same level of attention.

Regarding their connectivity issues, it was similar to my earlier post where I would notice timeouts where other monitored systems did not match timeouts.

This was during a period where I was culling the less-viable nodes, and it was on the chopping block.

I will say that they had some pretty awesome support; after I submitted my cancellation request, they opened a support ticket with me and we discussed the issues I had encountered and they seemed to have genuine concern.

• DamianDamian Member
      edited March 2012

Before anyone else asks :)

-Hostpolar: 6 days to replace an ethernet card in a server? Srsly? I live in a rural area, and even I can still source and install an ethernet card in a couple of hours.

-BGSA: Overpriced, support was exceptionally rude.

-Alienlayer: SLOW. Slow network, slow disk i/o. Ignored support ticket about it. I'm not doing anything exceptionally intense here, but still.

• KuroKuro Member

Virt: KVM
      RAM: 64MB
      HDD: 2GB
      Bandwidth: at least 20GB on 1Mbps+
      IPv6: 1+ (Depending on location I can live with IPv4 only / setup my own tunnel)
      Location: Any country that isn't overpopulated with cheap VPS providers :)
      Price: $6/quarter
      Other requirements: Ability to run IRC servers/services MUST be allowed.

• @liam said: In a 'liberal/Democratic' country.

Yep :P However, we never get exactly what we want. Here is my ideal plan:
      512 ram
      burst/vswap 128-512 (i dont use that, but if something gets out of hand I need a bit of space till I fix it)
      20+ GB
      CPU 1 2000-3000
      BW 3 TB+
      5 $ for the minimal version.
      Oh, and OpenVZ...
      M

Extremist conservative user, I wish to preserve human and civil rights, free speech, freedom of the press and worship, rule of law, democracy, peace and prosperity, social mobility, etc. Now you can draw your guns.

• @Damian said: My statement here was more of a statement that in the future, I'm not going to pay for a longer term of service than quarterly til I determine if the service fits my needs. It was NOT to speak poorly of VPS6's service; I was considering VPS6 for Los Angeles connectivity, since it appears that Hostitek has died.

Ah, no problem, thanks for the explanation. Hopefully we can improve the connectivity in Turkey as time goes on, but at present it's just very expensive.

VPS6.NET, LP - http://vps6.net - Xen PV, HVM, Windows VPS hosting in USA, DE, RO, and TR.

• @NanoG6 said: I haven't try HVM so I can't compare it myself.

KVM and Xen HVM both use QEMU to provide visualization, but I've found KVM edges out Xen HVM as more robust supporting more features to the guest.

Thanked by 1NanoG6
      Hostigation High Resource Hosting - SolusVM KVM VPS / Proxmox OpenVZ VPS- Low Cost Comodo SSL Certificates
    • nocomnocom Member

OpenVZ
      RAM: 256/512mb
      HDD: 10 GB
      Bandwidth: 100GB
      Gigabit (1000mbps) Network Port
      Native IPv6 support
      TUN and FUSE enabled
      CPU: 3 Fair Share CPU
      99.5% uptime
      23-26$ Yearly

Thanked by 1NanoG6
    • KVM (With Virtio disk/net) or Xen PV
      128-192mb ram
      5+gb disk
      250gb+ bandwidth
      2 CPU cores
      Native IPv6
      IRCd and clients allowed
      East coast US, eastern Canada, UK, NL, DE, etc. Just need good connection speeds and latency to all of the US and Europe.

FreeVPS.us - The oldest post to host VPS provider
    • InfinityInfinity Member, Provider

256MB ram
      10GB disk
      250GB+ bw
      1+ cpu core
      IPv6+IPv4, with instant rDNS.

UK, East Coast US.

• qpsqps Member, Provider

@Damian said: Node instability and connectivity issues. The node that I was on rebooted 6 to 10 times in the month that I used their service. I can't imagine that there's much reason for continual reboots on OpenVZ. I've figured out how to keep our own VPS nodes up, even with vswap, so it doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling when I'm on a host where there isn't the same level of attention.

Regarding their connectivity issues, it was similar to my earlier post where I would notice timeouts where other monitored systems did not match timeouts.

This was during a period where I was culling the less-viable nodes, and it was on the chopping block.

I will say that they had some pretty awesome support; after I submitted my cancellation request, they opened a support ticket with me and we discussed the issues I had encountered and they seemed to have genuine concern.

The issues with the node you were located on were resolved about a month ago (you can see evidence of this in the comments on our most recent post on LEB). We had a few abusing users that we removed and spread out the users on one node over two to improve performance.

As for the connectivity issues you were encountering, we tried to work with you on that. We spent a few hours over several days going through the issue with our upstream providers, but we could not detect anything on our side. It's possible that the issue was with one of your upstream providers, or somewhere in between our location and yours, but we were unable to track it down since you elected to not pursue the issue. We do not believe it is our issue, since none of our other customers have reported similar issues. However, we're still willing to work with you if you are interested in trying again.

• dracodraco Member

I would like a VPS that's enough for me to run OpenVPN. Possibly OpenVZ located in US, at least 150GB transfer, and maybe 32MB RAM (if this is enough for just OpenVPN). Say, <$10/year?

• @Damian Hostitek died? o_O

• AmfyAmfy Member

@draco: Hm, would a shared IP enough?

• 128MB KVM, 10GB disk, 200GB on 100Mbit,(1Gbit preferred) bandwidth located in NL

15$ a year

Proud member of the VPS Collectors Club

• @yomero said: Hostitek died? o_O

Ehh they were having weird issues.

Looks like I still can't get to it with munin, though:

[email protected]:~# telnet dns-hostitek.ipxcore.com 4343
      Trying 184.22.187.73...
      telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused

• dracodraco Member

@Amfy said: @draco: Hm, would a shared IP enough?

Hmm, nope, but I guess the usual cost of IP being $1/mth makes that plan impossible.