Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2 Drives died within 1 month from ChicagoVPS Dedicated Server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

2 Drives died within 1 month from ChicagoVPS Dedicated Server

This is not a review just couldn't help posting this.

Another old dirty drive just died a few days ago. I didn't realized this issue until today I checked the 5/i raid setting.

Previously, http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/19198/a-raid-0-failure-or-it-was-just-taken-away

You must think I use these drives hard so they fail. Actually I didn't, I used this server as nothing but sock 5 proxy server. It's good that I didn't store any stuff in the server. Raid 5 so what, it might fail 4 drives together since I saw the quality of their hardware. it took 2 days to get the first drive replaced. I'm not gonna do anything to this one because it's due very soon. Bye chicagovps~

Comments

• WorldWorld Veteran
    edited January 2014

Just shutdown,and find another DS.

• Just a cluster error

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Drives fail from time to time and I have had my fair share of failing drives.

Once I had two drives fail on my on tje exact same time.
    I have a HP MSA60 at another customers place with 8 drives in it.
    All drives have failed atleast once since it was bought. One by one if I may add so I never lost any data thankfully.

• kyakykyaky Member
    edited January 2014

@MikHo said:
    Drives fail from time to time and I have had my fair share of failing drives.

Once I had two drives fail on my on tje exact same time.
    I have a HP MSA60 at another customers place with 8 drives in it.
    All drives have failed atleast once since it was bought. One by one if I may add so I never lost any data thankfully.

I must be lucky to have 2 fails in 1 months, should buy Lotteries. next time I'll try 3 or more times.

• @kyaky said:
    I must be lucky to have 2 fails in 1 months, should buy Lotteries. next time I'll try 3 or more times.

Time to buy a lotto ticket? :P

• Bad luck. Drives can and do fail eventually.
    By the way you should be able to monitor the SMART health of the drives even behind the perc controller, refer to the smartctl help for the needed parameters.

• That's just bad luck - I've had a dedicated server with them for about six months, I got two new drives that haven't failed yet :).

4 Start_Stop_Count        0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       5
     9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   095   095   000    Old_age   Always       -       4325
    12 Power_Cycle_Count       0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       5

• @kyaky said:

If the drives are of the same age from the same batch it's very normal that they may have failed within a month.

This is why it's important when building arrays you mix the age and batches of the drives you use.

@kyaky said:

I'm not trying to be "better" then you. All I wanted to say is that shit happens. It is all about how long it takes to fix the mess you are in that counts in the end.

• By the way since you said this is just a socks5 proxy and you probably don't need so much disk space, you don't need RAID5 either. You could create two hardware RAID1 arrays and then softraid (mdadm) them in another RAID1. This way there will be 4 copies of your data, so all 4 drives should fail at the same time for you to lose the data.

• MunMun Member

My question is why do you need a socks proxy on a dedicated server O_O

Mun

• @Virtovo said:

@Mun said:
    My question is why do you need a socks proxy on a dedicated server O_O

Mun

@rds100 said:
    By the way since you said this is just a socks5 proxy and you probably don't need so much disk space, you don't need RAID5 either. You could create two hardware RAID1 arrays and then softraid (mdadm) them in another RAID1. This way there will be 4 copies of your data, so all 4 drives should fail at the same time for you to lose the data.

This server has a /26 IP block. I need a lots of IPs for my special applications. and these applications require good I/O. This raid just comes with the dedi. I can't refuse them , can I.

• Is this one of the 5+ years old dedis that the UGVPS owner sold for them on LET?

• @kyaky said:
    This server has a /26 IP block. I need a lots of IPs for my special applications. and these applications require good I/O. This raid just comes with the dedi. I can't refuse them , can I.

It may be hard to refuse it yes. I was merely offering a reasonable explanation as to why two drives may fail so close together. Rebuilding arrays also puts a lot of strain on drives which can lead to a second failure during a rebuild.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

You're trying to use WD Blue drives with a RAID controller. This is not recommended, as these drives do not support TLER. Drives without TLER can drop out of a RAID array even if they are not bad. Not saying that's what happened here, but it's something to think about for your next dedicated server.

Thanked by 1InfiniteVPSRyan
  • @qps said:
    You're trying to use WD Blue drives with a RAID controller. This is not recommended, as these drives do not support TLER. Drives without TLER can drop out of a RAID array even if they are not bad. Not saying that's what happened here, but it's something to think about for your next dedicated server.

Wouldn't even sell a non-RAID supported HDD with a RAID card. It's not fun as evident here. The host would just get hit.

• @gsrdgrdghd said:
    Is this one of the 5+ years old dedis that the UGVPS owner sold for them on LET?

I guess it is, maybe more than that.

• kyakykyaky Member
    edited January 2014

@qps said:

I wouldn't buy from them if I didn't get pissed off by one of your tech a few months ago. but anyway, thanks for your advice this time. xD

• @kyaky said:

You have better odds of 2 drives failing that close together than winning the lottery. Just saying...

• "lots of IP's" and "socks proxy" tells me this is some shitty SEO-spam.

• Welcome to the real world.

Just got this link sent to me by a friend.
    http://blog.backblaze.com/2014/01/21/what-hard-drive-should-i-buy/

Thanked by 1tchen
  • kyakykyaky Member
    edited January 2014

@blergh_ said:
    "lots of IP's" and "socks proxy" tells me this is some shitty SEO-spam.

I'm afraid, you are wrong. This is something you'd never know.

• @MikHo said:
    Just got this link sent to me by a friend.
    http://blog.backblaze.com/2014/01/21/what-hard-drive-should-i-buy/

thanks for the link, now I understand why a provider of mine, versaweb, uses Samsung for their SSD. solid and good.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@kyaky said:
    thanks for the link, now I understand why a provider of mine, versaweb, uses Samsung for their SSD. solid and good.

We've had only mediocre experience with Samsung.

• kyakykyaky Member
    edited January 2014

@jbiloh said:
    We've had only mediocre experience with Samsung.

I haven't heard the quote from your sales since "17 Jan (6 days ago)" after he pasted me an offer without the price (his name is Chuck Andre? I guess). Can you ask him Is that because the way I asked about the offers from CC made me look like my wallet is so "lowend" so he couldn't bother reply my email? thanks

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

I apologize about that, I am sure it's just an oversight. What is your email?

• @jbiloh said:
    I apologize about that, I am sure it's just an oversight. What is your email?

thanks, pm'd

• Lol, clicked to view the topic because my brain read the title as
    "2 Drivers died within 1 month from ChicagoVPS Dedicated Server Company"

• @xDragonZ said:
    Lol, clicked to view the topic because my brain read the title as
    "2 Drivers died within 1 month from ChicagoVPS Dedicated Server Company"

lol thats a good one