Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Linux VPS or Windows VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Linux VPS or Windows VPS?

picypicy Member
edited March 2012 in General

I am using linux VPS for all my site and i am using Kloxo as control panel for managing sites.
And i like to give a try to windows vps after knowing some details.

Which is more powerful windows vps or linux vps?
Which is easy to manage windows vps or linux vps?

if you can reply here to http://www.forumhookers.com/topic/702-linux-vps-or-windows-vps/ so that many can find it useful!

Comments

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

Ease of management definately goes to Linux, it's dead easy. Power depends on the specifications of couse, but Windows on average in my experience uses more CPU. So Linux all the way on servers..

I'm waiting for @DanielM's opinion :p

Thanked by 1Mon5t3r
  • @picy said: Which is more powerful windows vps or linux vps?

Which is easy to manage windows vps or linux vps?

Yes.

• @picy - We're all about community... but this community in particular. Please don't try to drag traffic over to other forums.

Other than that... I'm 100% linux (physical and VM, home and hosted).. Debian and Gentoo to be specific.

Thanked by 2Asim marrco
  • InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2012

@Aldryic said: @picy - We're all about community... but this community in particular. Please don't try to drag traffic over to other forums.

+1 on that, especially if it's self-promoting or WHT :P.

Thanked by 2SrvisLLC marrco
  • quirkyquarkquirkyquark Member
    edited March 2012

@Infinity said: but Windows on average in my experience uses more CPU. So Linux all the way on servers..

You have to consider the expense of keeping a GUI up though....Server 2008 R2 Core (no GUI) has been extremely efficient in my limited experience.

That said, unless there's a specific need (ASP?), when all the software for doing things server mostly do is linux-native, why bother with Windows?

If you occasionally want to run Windows on your VPS, you should get a Xen HVM VPS. That will give you two options: dual-boot OR if it suits your needs, run Windows as a virtual machine under Linux on the HVM. This is called "software-only" virtualization, and the free (but closed-source) VMWare Player has been much faster for me than QEMU.

You can also do both of these things on a KVM instead of Xen HVM, but Xen is the more mature platform. SW-only virtualization on KVM was pathetic (slow) for me.

For numbers, Windows XP/1-CPU running on VMware under Ubuntu 12.04 on a Xen HVM with a physical Xeon E5645 @ 2.40GHz, got me a Passmark score of 833. For comparison, the closest single-core CPU is the AMD Sempron 145 at 876 -- and that is no slouch.

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited March 2012

I like BSD.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

If you want to occasionally run .net, use Azure - that's really what it excels at. Turn your code on and off (or of course you can run it all the time).