Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can anyone help this guy? He's looking for an apprenticeship - UK
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Can anyone help this guy? He's looking for an apprenticeship - UK

Comments

• So, you then?

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

What high school Year in scotland is Sixth form in England?

• c0yc0y Member

@iKeyZ said:
    So, you then?

Yes, it's him his domain matches his username here.

On-topic: you are probably not going to find something like this at this point:

• There are plenty of server admins
    • At your age you can't be employed if you're doing a good job because te school age being raised
    • UK economy is total shit now
    • UK datacenters aren't in high demands or otherwise ran by clowns (EconDC etc..)
    • Datacenters don't need many staffers, and they're certainly not waiting for 16 y/o's who see it as a hobby

Sorry to crush your dreams, but it's the bitter truth. It's better to study for technical programming rather than end-user software, or something completely different.

The truth is there are too many IT clowns that have really 0 specialiaties and don't actually put some effort into finding what they're good at or effort into finding an original job.

You can start your own company in advice, hosting, services, software etc or just follow an education in an industry where IS ACTUALLY WORK IN.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2014

Lol, so you're studying Computing at Sixth Form and doing VB.net, what exam board is that? Pretty sure that's not included as one of the allowed programming languages. The course is fairly tedious and slightly hard at times so I can see why you wouldn't want to do it. ;-)
    If you are wondering how I know about Computing, it is because I'm doing it at my sixth form.

Take a look at Rackspace, you might have a small chance there although I think it's best to find smaller ISP's that might be wanting younger employees more.

@c0y said:

I would have to disagree with that statement about not being able to find a job at this age, infact the opposite, I was offered one, not the best, but not the worst either. Of course I don't want to drop out of Sixth Form though, so I didn't carry on with that. I think we can agree that EconDC are clowns though, and that datacenter technician isn't the ideal or dream job even if it's 'cool' for now wages aren't great.

My personal honest advice would be to persevere at Sixth Form and do your hardest, you might not have much of a social life these two years but if you do well it'll open more doors than from your ill though out plan here. Whatever you do in any case don't make a hasty decision about it, and make sure it's not an impulsive decision.

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • akzakz Member
    edited January 2014

hobby and work are two very different things. Best off staying in school.

• Well, I say it's a hobby. Its something that I really like doing. I don't want to learn Visual Basic. I want to work on a support desk, manage servers etc....

• jhjh Member
    edited January 2014

I don't understand what attraction people see to this line of work. Unless you're making good money - which you won't unless you have unusual technical or business talents - it's crap work.

Staying in school is probably the best option for you. Engage with your course, work on your grammar and make a good university application when the time comes. The work might be equally dull at the moment but at least you'll be working towards something solid. If you have spare time, use some of it to pursue your real interests (by learning) and use that as part of your university application.

• c0yc0y Member
    edited January 2014

@rmlhhd said:
    Well, I say it's a hobby. Its something that I really like doing. I don't want to learn Visual Basic. I want to work on a support desk, manage servers etc....

Migrate to India then

Edit: if you have a brain you can study for working for companies like say Supermicro to actually design servers in one way or another. As @jhadleu said you'll make breadcrumbs as just an ordinary technican.