Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedicated Server for Game Hosting
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedicated Server for Game Hosting

Hi, I'm looking for a reliable dedicated server under $60 that can host quite a few game servers! Mostly source games. How would the cheapest datashack dedi hold up? https://www.datashack.net/dedicated/

Comments

• What's your prefured location? I'm guessing USA as your looking at datashack.

• USA. I prefer central, or east coast. Not west. I was about to purchase from stealthy hosting until I realized they were out of Seattle. I'm pretty set on Datashack. I really like the GHZ speeds. Will those speeds affect game servers much? Is there a difference between 2.5 and 3.6ghz?

• There's 1.1GHz difference although it depends on the processor.

What processor does the server have? The one your looking at with Datashack.

• How could that run game servers? Could it handle quite a few high populated ones?

• It should be okay. Its got a good clock speed and turbo boost.

You should be able to run a few servers on that. Especially source.

• DylanDylan Member
    edited January 2014

Don't fall into the "more GHz=faster" trap. There's a lot more to it than that and processors running on entirely architectures can't be compared directly. A single Xeon E5-2620 core at 2GHz, for example, is way more powerful than a single Opteron 2216 core at 2.6.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2011/04/ask-ars-whats-the-relationship-between-cpu-clockspeed-and-performance/

Anyways, you can generally go two routes for game servers: lots of slower cores, or fewer faster cores. Some game servers multithread well so the former approach is better but unfortunately Source games don't so generally you want something where each core is more powerful.

If I were you'd I'd check out Wholesale Internet -- they're basically the same company as Datashack but sometimes have better deals: https://www.wholesaleinternet.net/dedicated/

The E3-1230 v2 there is, IMO, the best deal around for a game server right now. Really powerful processor.

• CltcamCltcam Member
    edited January 2014

Damn. WHoleSale is all out of stock. I really just want a reliable dedicated server for a dozen source servers.

• DylanDylan Member
    edited January 2014

Maybe @concerto49 has something good in stock?

• CltcamCltcam Member
    edited January 2014

@Dylan said:
    Maybe concerto49 has something good in stock?

Only looking for dedicated. Not VPS. Thanks for the suggestion though.

• Yeah, he does dedicated servers too. He's given some very good offers in threads like these before, and on a good network in Dallas.

• Dylan said: Yeah, he does dedicated servers too. He's given some very good offers in threads like these before, and on a good network in Dallas.

@Cltcam contact us at https://www.cloudshards.com/contact.php and we'll be happy to discuss a quote.

Yeah, my priorities a few months ago was infrastructure - building out the Dallas network, racks, etc... now I'm managing tooling - improvements on what we use to manage our services. I fully acknowledge there was a promise to update the website :)

On the flip side, check http://www.fliphost.net/dedicated.html -- I understand there was a huge backlog due to the promo - we've worked to cover most of them by now. There's a few left. We'll be restocking later this week or next week officially.

• Ticket Created #520970 . Thanks.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

@concerto49 said:
    On the flip side, check

I see what you did there

• Fliphost looks like a really good company to use in the future, but right now I want to stay within $60 budget.

• CltcamCltcam Member
    edited January 2014

Everyone is out of stock. Including quick packet! @qps I want to go with datashack but I'm waiting to hear back from their sales team. I was inquiring how long set-up would take.

• @Cltcam said:
    Everyone is out of stock. Including quick packet! qps I want to go with datashack but I'm waiting to hear back from their sales team. I was inquiring how long set-up would take.

Word of warning: Datashack uses cogent.. which means alot of people will have bad ping.. keep that in mind

• CltcamCltcam Member
    edited January 2014

Oh! I'll try to stay away from them. I'm looking at the cheapest dedi on http://www.quickpacket.com/dedicated.html . Are they good?

• I have a Dual Intel Xeon L5420 with Quick Packet in their Atlanta DC and it has been great so far. I have only had the service for around a month but it was setup within a few hours of ordering the server. Their support has been very professional and quick when I have asked for things such as reverse DNS and additional IPs. I have had no downtime and haven't had to submit any tickets for trouble with the service so far. I host a few game servers on the machine but they are very low usage since it is private just for myself and some friends. So I haven't tested it with lots of people on the servers.

Thanked by 1qps
  • catalystiumcatalystium Member
    edited January 2014

@Cltcam said:
    Everyone is out of stock. Including quick packet! qps I want to go with datashack but I'm waiting to hear back from their sales team. I was inquiring how long set-up would take.

I can say when I had mine setup last week it took 2 days to get setup from order date (datashack).

• Alright. Well, someone just offered me 300 TcAdmin game slots to use for multiple games for $40 a month. Would this be better than what a dedicated server could pull off?

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

Cltcam said: Everyone is out of stock. Including quick packet! @qps

We occasionally have servers in stock that are not listed on our website. Please either PM me or open a sales ticket and we can discuss further. Thanks.

• Pretty sure there are some available :)

• Why wont you buy a vps it more cheaper then dedicated I run 2 counter strike source server with 24 slots each I paid $4 for it

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2014

@Cltcam I have been with @qps for almost a year now with various servers, and they have been nothing short of amazing! Their network is awesome, latency is pretty good to me here in Ottawa Canada (east coast), their support is awesome, and their pricing is insane!

Here's the benchmarks from my current dedicated box with them running proxmox.

CPU model : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU L5520 @ 2.27GHz
    Number of cores : 16
    CPU frequency : 2266.682 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 32160 MB
    Total amount of swap : 31743 MB
    System uptime : 16 days, 22:43,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 84.5MB/s
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 63.1MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 54.8MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 5.00MB/s
    Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 11.8MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 11.8MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 7.54MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 23.8MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 24.0MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 53.9MB/s
    I/O speed : 131 MB/s'

Thanked by 1qps
  • @agoldenberg said:
    Cltcam I have been with qps for almost a year now with various servers, and they have been nothing short of amazing! Their network is awesome, latency is pretty good to me here in Ottawa Canada (east coast), their support is awesome, and their pricing is insane!

Here's the benchmarks from my current dedicated box with them running proxmox.

I/O speed : 131 MB/s'

Cool. Already got a dedi from another host for a decent price. Will definitely consider QPS or cloudshards as well in the near future.