Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who would you use to host 2 DNS servers?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Who would you use to host 2 DNS servers?

I need to deploy (at least) 2 DNS servers since I need the flexibility of running DNS myself rather than relying on third party providers.

I don't think these DNS servers will be particularly busy but they do need to stay up and be extremely reliable. So who would you use to host these DNS servers? Price is a consideration here so I'm not looking to spend mega bucks. I was thinking of the $5 Digital Ocean VPS but if anyone else had a better suggestion I'm all ears.

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Digital Ocean + RamNode

• cloudshards has a 64mb instance @ 7.50$ / year.
    ive got, so-far 142 days of uptime

• matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

Some reliable and decently priced VPS providers that I've used:

California: High speed web/hostigation (100% uptime so far and very good performance), DigitalOcean (Good performance and uptime)

Atlanta/Seattle: RamNode (Amazing performance and 100% uptime)

Texas: VPSDime (Had amazing performance and 100% uptime)

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Fliphost or Cloudshards (Biased )

• Torqhost, cloud shards, bandwagon host, maximum vps, Prometeus,

All of them offer a cheap + reliable vps which is ideal for DNS servers.

• 512MB is overkill unless you have a busy DNS. I personally use 128MB yearlies -- High Speed Web (Hostigation) in LA and BuyVM in NJ.

If I were starting over today I'd swap one or the other out for Prometeus in Dallas (Incero's network is crazy good, even to Europe).

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited January 2014

There is a bandwagon offer thread that may work for your needs.

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/20277/you-asked-we-delivered-bandwagon-host-in-florida-and-micro-plans-and-kiwivm#latest

I use Cloudshards in Dallas, RamNode in Seattle, VPSDime in LA, MyCustomHosting in Montreal, FTPit in Chicago, and BandWagonHost in Florida and Amsterdam for my DNS servers.

EDIT: I also agree with @Dylan 128mb yearly is the way to go. If you get to much load add locations :-)

• +1 cloudive no dowtime yet since purchase & awesome support
    +1 Ramnode used them for 2 months with now downtime