Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[EU] OVZ €5 Euro/YEAR 128MB-10GB-HDD-100GB Bandwidth. Extremely LIMITED! - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[EU] OVZ €5 Euro/YEAR 128MB-10GB-HDD-100GB Bandwidth. Extremely LIMITED!

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

torrents are hit/miss with them, but if there's anyone running warez or port scanning/rooting? even if it was an exploited CT? good luck.

Francisco

• There are seedbox providers who have racks with OVH. And brag about it.

• Most seedbox providers say you've not to use public trackers, so the risk of getting a DMCA or whatever is greatly reduced. I doubt OVH cares what you do with your server/rack as long as it doesn't cause them any problems.

OVH being torrent central is a good thing for OVH, since so much of the traffic is internal, and doesn't cost them a penny. If they kicked out even 10% of the torrenters, the traffic the remaining torrenters would use communicating with the 10% who are now in other datacentres would cost a fortune. Most torrenters with seedboxes hammer them, they'll use the full 10TB or whatever each month.

• iKockaiKocka Member
    edited September 2011

@Gary: Even internal traffic isn't completely free. You need to have proper switches and cables. European traffic is cheap, as they are members of many exchange points and have many peering agreements. There are only few parcent of servers used for torrenting, so it wouldn't really destabilize OVH. France has Anti-P2P law, so they have to take server down if they get warns.

• Server seems good, probably not going to do something with it anytime soon so if anyone wants to trial it he can contact me.

• You need to have proper switches and cables.

Depends on the datacenter and what they provide. I know the datacenter that we use, when using their in-house bandwidth, it's their router and their cards in there as they control them but it's my switch under that. With the dedicated uplinks, it's my router but their cards in there.

I've seen routers and card provided by others as well if you lease racks and/or cages.

There are only few parcent of servers used for torrenting,

I really would love to see a percentage of what OVH has for seedboxes. I would be surprised if it's less than 20%.

• drmike said: I really would love to see a percentage of what OVH has for seedboxes. I would be surprised if it's less than 20%.

probably more than 20%. but only of bandwidth.

• iKockaiKocka Member
    edited September 2011

@drmike: You are then colocating your own equipment, not leasing it. The estimated amount of servers being used for torrenting is 20% of 4% as stated by Marks on OVH UK forum.

@rewo: Because they don't sell servers with unmetered bandwidth anymore I believe this number was decreased to few parcents only.

• why would u torrent anyway? for seeding or what?

• iKockaiKocka Member
    edited September 2011

@kristal: To maintain ratio.

• Yes, I own my own hardware. (Well the hosting company does but close enough.)

Marks on OVH UK forum

Here's the link with that discussion: http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4244 Marks reply seems to be off the cuff and he in fact later on states that it's not applied company wide.

In fact my rough guess of 20% is mentioned as being quoted by their staff previously. At least with their UK servers.

• OVH don't have UK servers.

• @iKocka: good point :->

• @Gary: OVH's UK subsidiary is selling servers located in France to UK citizens.

• I know.

• I know.

No, you don't.

• OVH don't have UK servers.

I was just going with what I read in that thread.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

iKocka said: @Gary: OVH's UK subsidiary is selling servers located in France to UK citizens.

Hit the nail on the head, they have very good connections to the UK ;)

• After all this offer isn't that "Extremely LIMITED" as they raise limit whole time. This limit number is here just to give impression like offer is limited while it isn't.

• Spirit said: After all this offer isn't that "Extremely LIMITED" as they raise limit whole time. This limit number is here just to give impression like offer is limited while it isn't.

Ah, but it is limited to as many 5 euro payments as they can extract before blowing town when the server payment is due.

• so its a scam ?

• @ kylix -

No, you don't.

At the risk of going off-topic too much, don't presume to tell me what I do and don't know. I'm aware that there's an ovh/kimsufi.co.uk servicing UK customers. I was a customer in the past, and probably will be again when needs arise. They don't have servers outside .FR, which is the point I was making.

• And? They're connected to linx. You cannot rent a server from OVH that is located in the UK, or any other country apart from France.

• kylixkylix Member
    edited September 2011

Ah, but it is limited to as many 5 euro payments as they can extract before blowing town when the server payment is due.

But still a typical method of unfair competition. But what do I care. I wouldn't even buy here. The company doesn't even provide a valid imprint. If you order, they know more about you then you know about them. Not a good thing for a contract.

• so its a scam ?

• @kristal: Infinite loop?

• @kylix: nooo :P just wondering coz i purchased 2 up there and now im scared

• kylixkylix Member
    edited September 2011

@kylix: Well did you get their address or something to know who is actually operating there? Because depending on how you paid they got quite more info about you. But you just have to pay, they have to provide services and you pre-paid. So well...

• kristalkristal Banned
    edited September 2011

@kylix: i paid by paypal, it works great so far, i didnt bother checking any info on them coz i thought oh well its only 10 euro (for 2), but now they hav win vps offer upcoming and im starting to re-think it all over again :D