Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Green Value Host - STAY AWAY - end customer review
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Green Value Host - STAY AWAY - end customer review

greenvaluehost.com

i have a shared account (no VPS) with them

in short, STAY AWAY

here's why...

i had read a couple reviews for Green Value Host (GVH) that said they might be a good hosting company

i had been with x10, whose service and support was going down the tubes as the company matured, so i was looking for a new host

i have never been one to file many support tickets, but in the first 3 months alone i probably filed at least 20, ranging from firewall config problems, extremely slow web server performance (current issue for the last month at least), slow database performance, no http service, crappy ftp service, crappy mail server service (they were recently blacklisted by Spamhaus) and i could probably list another 5+ issues were i able to log on to their client area, which i currently cannot because they moved it to another server which seems to have opened yet another can of worms (they claim it's a dns issue on the client end, but it's more than that)

after the initial avalanche of problems when i set up my account, the constant reoccurring issue - and the one which i would like to highlight - is incredibly poor http performance

i'm not sure what the problem is, but page load times in excess of 5 seconds are common (and i'm only 1 state away) and load time in excess of 10 and even 20 seconds occur way too often (test today using GTmetrix was 20+ seconds to the first byte - i have seen it as high as 40+ seconds, or where it simply times out)

their response is always the same; "we'll monitor it", "we're aware of the issue", "we're working on it", "it will be fixed in 2 hours", "it works fine for us"...

unless i ask, they rarely follow up with further information and any information they may offer is rarely useful - in other words, they rarely disclose the cause of the problem

after signing up with them, i also read an account were customers lost data on a large scale due apparently to the ineptitude of the GVH techs - makes perfect sense to me

and that 100% up-time guarantee? well, i think anyone here can determine exactly how meaningful that sales pitch is

while this company may come around, i would highly suggest looking elsewhere at this time

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I mean no disrespect to them and I don't know the other side of the story, but I think it's sad that a lot of hosts end up taking their shared hosting for granted. Just because a single user (when WHT is your advertising venue) may not generate an invoice as large as a vps or dedi client, it's no reason to forget the product that's supposed to "just work." Shared hosting is not a thing of the past, it should not be shoved aside as a forgotten product.

Best of luck at your next host.

Thanked by 3Lee Nick_A linuxthefish
  • I would suggest TurnKeyInternet, I've been with them for a while now, both Shared and Reseller and don't face any issues at all! :)

• jnguyenjnguyen Member
    edited January 2014

What is the server that you are placed on? If you're on srv3, we're actively working on a solution to the issues and a solution should be rolled out shortly. If you do not wish to wait for a solution for the issues on srv3 just ticket in and ask to be moved to one of our better performing hosting servers.

srv3 is our only hosting server that is experiencing issues at this time, all of our other hosting servers are performing fine without any issues. New orders are not being provisioned on srv3. I'll be more than happy to work with you to reach a satisfactory solution and if you'd like I'll even provide you with a free upgrade to a virtual server, fully managed w/ cPanel so you'll have a more isolated environment. Please send me an email at [email protected] so we can work things out.

Thanks!

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • MunMun Member

@GreenValueHost said:
    What is the server that you are placed on? If you're on srv3, we're actively working on a solution to the issues and a solution should be rolled out shortly. If you do not wish to wait for a solution for the issues on srv3 just ticket in and ask to be moved to one of our better performing hosting servers.

srv3 is our only hosting server that is experiencing issues at this time, all of our other hosting servers are performing fine without any issues. New orders are not being provisioned on srv3. I'll be more than happy to work with you to reach a satisfactory solution and if you'd like I'll even provide you with a free upgrade to a virtual server, fully managed w/ cPanel so you'll have a more isolated environment. Please send me an email at [email protected] so we can work things out.

Thanks!

At which point you will say CPU abuse and kick the customer out, frankly as a former customer as well, I'd have to agree. Find a new host.

Mun

• jnguyenjnguyen Member
    edited January 2014

@Mun - We're talking about shared web hosting/reseller web hosting here. There's no such thing as CPU abuse when you have CloudLinux on the server. You were a customer before we implemented new pro-consumer policies on CPU abuse which was designed/catered to be extremely more lenient to customers regarding CPU.

GreenValueHost said: There's no such thing as CPU abuse when you have CloudLinux on the server.

Challenge accepted!

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • CloudLinux throttles your account to utilize no more than the allotted CPU limit on a shared hosting environment so therefore CPU abuse is not possible.

• MunMun Member

@GreenValueHost said:
    Mun - We're talking about shared web hosting/reseller web hosting here. There's no such thing as CPU abuse when you have CloudLinux on the server. You were a customer before we implemented new pro-consumer policies on CPU abuse which was designed/catered to be extremely more lenient to customers regarding CPU.

In your post you are offering a "VPS" which you have banned for CPU abuse, and the only way that was remotely possible is by mismanagement of the node and MASSIVE overselling.

Mun

• JeffreyJeffrey Member
    edited January 2014

I have a cPanel server in the Turnkey Datacenter, which is really a great datacenter. I could give you a custom quote. :) We are accepting pre-sales before we actually launch

• @Mun - I'm confused, could you please clarify what you mean? A "VPS" that I've banned for CPU abuse ..? How could I do that when he hasn't even received a VPS?

• MunMun Member

GreenValueHost said: I'll even provide you with a free upgrade to a virtual server, fully managed w/ cPanel so you'll have a more isolated environment.

^^ that is what you said.

• I'm still confused as to what you are trying to get at here?

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited January 2014

• MunMun Member

@TheLinuxBug do you understand what am I saying or am I loosing everyone?

Mun

edited January 2014

@Mun I know exactly whats your saying, I am pretty sure @GreenValueHost is just pulling his "act stupid" routine.

Thanked by 2Mark_R Inglar

@Mun said:
    TheLinuxBug do you understand what am I saying or am I loosing everyone?

Mun

I'm a little confused too. VPS CPU abuse is possible overselling or not, he's saying CloudLinux CPU abuse isn't possible. He didn't say he terminated any VPS for CPU abuse, but he did say they have new CPU policies since you were a customer. Perhaps I'm missing some small detail that ties everything together.

• @GreenValueHost said:
    I'm still confused as to what you are trying to get at here?

He has issues with Shared hosting->You offer a VPS->Said VPS is infamous for its abuse policy and kicking out legitimate clients.

@joelgm said:
    He has issues with Shared hosting->You offer a VPS->Said VPS is infamous for its abuse policy and kicking out legitimate clients.

Now I get it.

• MunMun Member

@jarland said:
    I'm a little confused too. VPS CPU abuse is possible overselling or not, he's saying CloudLinux CPU abuse isn't possible. He didn't say he terminated any VPS for CPU abuse, but he did say they have new CPU policies since you were a customer. Perhaps I'm missing some small detail that ties everything together.

He said "ill over you a virtual server.." I responded with, and then you will most likely ban him for CPU abuse. I was a former customer, and I was banned for that. Really he based it on I/O load, which at the time I could only determine was the node having a fit from so many people smashing it. As such they removed the top group of people using the server for "CPU Abuse".

Mun

• @LowendMan / OP

At this time I am going to be upgrading both the memory and the CPU of our srv3 cloud server and in addition I will be assigning our most skilled techs on the job to optimize the performance of srv3 to relieve the issues that you are facing. I will personally oversee this issue and I will make sure that it will be resolved as soon and as promptly as possible.

To compensate for the inconveniences that you have faced, I will be giving you the option of either cancelling your account with a full refund (Regardless if you do not qualify as of the 45 day money back guararntee, I will be allowing you a refund of ALL THE RENEWAL INVOICES and the INITIAL INVOICE that you have paid for your reseller plan), or alternatively if you decide to give us a second chance, I will give you the option of staying on srv3 or moving to another one of our servers and also for the rest of your stay with us, your shared hosting service will be completely free of charge. In addition to that compensation you'll receive an absolutely free $20.00 account credit to use towards any future GreenValueHost invoice.

If you would like I would be more than happy to speak with you and be your guide through this resolution process through Skype, ticket, email, or even over the phone (I'll give you my personal number where you can reach me for 24/7 emergency assistance).

Please let me know how you'd like to proceed. Regardless though, I will be going through with the upgrade of our srv3 cloud server and also after this incident I will have our most skilled techs perform an entire audit of our network of servers and ensure maximum performance.

I can assure you and everyone else here with absolute confidence that GreenValueHost strives to provide the best quality while at the same time providing quantity and affordability and this incident is not the norm here.

• @Mun - When you were a customer, we had strict CPU abuse policies. Since then, we have made very significant changes to those policies which were based on our customer's suggestions and were 100% pro-consumer. We no longer suspend virtual servers for CPU abuse (Unless for example, you're running a CPU miner and your usage is to the point where it can cause the kernel to panic), instead we temporarily shut down the server (customer has the ability to boot it back up anytime) and notify you and let you resolve the issue on your own. Old CPU policy was strict 50% burst for 60 seconds, auto suspend if reached over. It's 80% for 120 seconds now, shut down if you go above 80% for over 120 seconds. If you want to be able to burst up to 100%, you can ticket in and request for your CPU to be throttled making you automatically exempt from our CPU abuse policies. We're a lot more lenient now as we've realized that it's better to cater to our customers and consumers' suggestions and needs.

edited January 2014

Now he is giving stuff away like you are on a game show. You WIN!!!

Who doesn't like to get services for free? I mean, they will even PAY YOU to use their service now!

• jnguyenjnguyen Member
    edited January 2014

Anyone that has been with us in the past and have been "kicked out" as a result of our harsh CPU abuse policies are more than welcome to come back and enjoy 3 free months of service, including you too as well, @Mun and @joelgm.

We're making extensive efforts to better our services and be the best of the best and the best that we can be, and prove that our offerings are deserving to be ranked among the top quality VPS hosting and shared/reseller hosting providers. We do even have Dual Xeon E5-2620s that are shipping to Dallas as we speak that are going to be racked for us early on next week.

• MunMun Member

http://dhcoupons.com/13931/greenvaluehost-vps-review-new-years-special.html <-- Hmm Jan 7, 2014

When did you implement this new CPU abuse system?

Mun

• E6-2620

• MunMun Member

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1296406 Another customer for cpu abuse at %10 Cpu Use......

.... and even more fun... Incompetence:

http://webvps.blogspot.com/2014/01/urpad-poor-support-greenvaluehost-gvh.html

• @TheLinuxBug - If you put it that way, Yes. We're actually going to be paying our ex-customers and unsatisfied customers to come back to us and/or continue using our services, and those incidents are dealt with on a case-by-case basis.

And I do not see this as because "our services suck" or "because we're desperate" at all. Why am we doing this? The reason is simple: We believe that we can do BETTER and we want to PROVE it at all costs. If that means giving out free months and free credit, then so be it. Regaining a customer at a loss = more money than losing customers at a profit, if you know what I mean.

• @Mun said:
    http://dhcoupons.com/13931/greenvaluehost-vps-review-new-years-special.html <-- Hmm Jan 7, 2014

When did you implement this new CPU abuse system?

Mun

That is a copy and paste of my review with not link to the original thread.

• @Mun - The first thread was 5 months ago. A lot has changed since then and it's really not fair to compare what has happened 5 months ago to what is happening and what is going to happen now.

And as for the second link, the GreenValueHost part of the thread has been REDACTED by the original poster in the original place that it has been posted which was on LowEndTalk. I've personally dealt with the situation and it's been resolved.

This discussion has been closed.