Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To virtualize or not to virtualize
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

To virtualize or not to virtualize

I just picked up a few budget servers from delimiter host. They are dedicated servers with the following specs.

2x Intel X5150
16Gb ram
500gb ram
5tb bandwdith

Normally i have used kvm. I am not reselling the resources on these machines to anyone its for my own project. I have played around with docker in the past. I am trying to figure out if there is any reason for me to use a vm or not. I know there is the overhead of kvm so that would be a little pointless but containers could be a good idea?

Comments

• you totally should run a virtual envoirement on that dedi and install all your stuff on that

it saves time too when you screw up or get hacked, just reinstall the virtual machine and its fixed.

no need to touch the dedi itself.

• @Mark_R said:
    you totally should run a virtual envoirement on that dedi and install all your stuff on that

it saves time too when you screw up or get hacked, just reinstall the virtual machine and its fixed.

no need to touch the dedi itself.

Thats what i normally do in most cases any recommendations on which virtural i should run

• Get Proxmox VE, it's free and you can easily create and manage KVM/OVZ containers.

Thanked by 2Mark_R anyNode
  • +1 what @skagerrak and @Mark_R said.

• @skagerrak said:
    Get Proxmox VE, it's free and you can easily create and manage KVM/OVZ containers.

I tried installing it on a fresh debian machine with no luck i see i can do some clustering with it and some other stuff does it come with built in firewall stuff?

• +1 to @skagerrak. I run that at home, but I have also heard of oVirt, which uses KVM.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • @CharlesA said:
    +1 to skagerrak. I run that at home, but I have also heard of oVirt, which uses KVM.

Yeah i know there are some great kvm out there but since its just my stuff would like to avoid the kvm overhead

• Go with OpenVZ if you want to run *nix boxes on it. I use OpenVZ for my web server, and it's plenty fast but it'll only work with *nix.

• @wojons said:
    Yeah i know there are some great kvm out there but since its just my stuff would like to avoid the kvm overhead

kvm overhead? what are you looking for exactly?

• @CharlesA said:
    +1 to skagerrak. I run that at home, but I have also heard of oVirt, which uses KVM.

thnx for the oVirt link, might comes in handy.

• wojonswojons Member
    edited January 2014

@Mark_R said:
    kvm overhead? what are you looking for exactly?

I could use kvm but i have always herd that there is some sort of overhead when using it. All my vms are linux. I was thinking about docker at first because i have seen some great videos about how cool it is and the stuff you can do with it.

• CharlesACharlesA Member
    edited January 2014

@wojons said:

If you are going to be running Windows, you'll need to use KVM. There is a little bit of overhead when comparing KVM to OpenVZ because KVM is true virtualization and OpenVZ is just a container, but it shouldn't be too bad.

• @CharlesA said:
    If you are going to be running Windows, you'll need to use KVM. There is a little bit of overhead when comparing KVM to OpenVZ because KVM is true virtualization and OpenVZ is just a container, but it shouldn't be too bad.

Sorry i edited my post i meant linux i must be really tereid to say windows........

• Heh, happens to everyone. It'll be up to you which virtualization tech you want to use. I use OpenVZ for my web server, but I also have a KVM of a Win7 box and Ubuntu box at home. Pick whichever you want to use, but if you aren't sure, go with Proxmox so you can have both KVM and OpenVZ on the same box.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • @wojons = Installing proxmox from iso is much simpler. You can run OpenVZ containers and KVM VMs on the same dedi. You don;t have to chose one or the other.

Thanked by 2Mark_R nocom
  • i alaways go with vm whenever i got a dedicated, with that i can rebuild the vm in no time in case anything goes wrong.

But if the physical host is screwed, it going to be hell more hassle then rebuilding a vm.

• @CharlesA said:
    Heh, happens to everyone. It'll be up to you which virtualization tech you want to use. I use OpenVZ for my web server, but I also have a KVM of a Win7 box and Ubuntu box at home. Pick whichever you want to use, but if you aren't sure, go with Proxmox so you can have both KVM and OpenVZ on the same box.
    @FrankZ said:
    wojons = Installing proxmox from iso is much simpler. You can run OpenVZ containers and KVM VMs on the same dedi. You don;t have to chose one or the other.

Thanks guys, looks like my host provides a proxmox 3 image for installing i guess the really question is should i use proxmox 3 or ubuntu with docker?

@johnlth93 said:
    i alaways go with vm whenever i got a dedicated, with that i can rebuild the vm in no time in case anything goes wrong.

But if the physical host is screwed, it going to be hell more hassle then rebuilding a vm.

Yeah that is true i use a lot of configuration management as it is so its fairly easy for me to bootstrap a new machine from nothing.

• Try both of them out and see which one you like better. I've been using proxmox a lot lately and I use it at work, but I don't think I've ever used Docker.

• @CharlesA said:
    Try both of them out and see which one you like better. I've been using proxmox a lot lately and I use it at work, but I don't think I've ever used Docker.

Docker uses linux containers its a lot like openvz but think of it like openvz backed by git where when u make file changes u can commit them to the base image so u can just pick a version number history and boot up a clone from there.

• Huh. Thanks for the info. I don't think I've ever thought of using version control on a VM, but it makes sense to have if you need to switch between different environments on the same VM. Especially since OpenVZ has no "snapshots" like KVM does.

• @CharlesA said:
    Huh. Thanks for the info. I don't think I've ever thought of using version control on a VM, but it makes sense to have if you need to switch between different environments on the same VM. Especially since OpenVZ has no "snapshots" like KVM does.

Yeah thats what makes it great is that u run the snapshot so if u have ur ubuntu image that u base things from each of ur server deploys on the host machine or running from that shared storage will take disk space on the diffs. So assuming u had enough cpu power to run 1000 containers. the disk space usage will just be there diffs from there base image.

• @wojons proxmox with whatever VMs you want with one KVM dedicated to docker containers. Lots of flexibility and safety for marginal overhead

• @craigb said:
    wojons proxmox with whatever VMs you want with one KVM dedicated to docker containers. Lots of flexibility and safety for marginal overhead

I can see i installed it looks pretty simple. I am just waiting for my provider to set me up with some more ip addresses.