Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need help with kernel panic
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need help with kernel panic

SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran
edited January 2014 in Help

Hi,
I have server which has Raid 1 hardware configuration. Lately it is not booting up, I got KVM access and got following screenshots:

So kernel panic is there before bunch of other errors. Can anyone tell me what exactly the error is about, is it that drive is failing but when you have Raid 1 , if one fails, other keep machine running.. ....?

Also, one other problem is that after kernel panic, I can't reboot system as in kernel crash case, this KVM doesn't take reboot (ctrl+alt+del) .. I have to ask datacenter guys to manually go and enter grub for me, that is now causing me and them trouble and they are insisting on reload of OS but I can't do as I still have some important data in it.. Since this is unmanaged server, this situation has really made things.. worst.

So I request fellow member to help me and give pointer about the solution without OS reload..

Comments

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2014

With the help of the KVM you could mount a LiveCD like RescueCD (http://www.sysresccd.org/SystemRescueCd_Homepage) and then mounting the HDD rescueCD (when its running) and then copying your files out with SCP onto another server :)

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

So can't we fix this issue and only way is to take out data ?

• I am guessing from kernel 2.6.32-042stab072.10 that you are using CentOS 6.3. If so, please take a look at,

http://pastebin.com/DEKu1Uke

This may be something to do with selinux.

Already disabled SE linux but no help.

• It seems one of the hard disks has failed and you haven't setup the RAID1 correctly, i.e. the root filesystem is not on the RAID device.

Thanked by 1Magiobiwan
  • @rds100 said:
    It seems one of the hard disks has failed and you haven't setup the RAID1 correctly, i.e. the root filesystem is not on the RAID device.

Indeed that is what it looks like to me as well. It can't find the disk the root fs is on, so it can't boot.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited January 2014

On the other hand he said "RAID1 hardware configuration" yet we see this is attached to a SATA port. But the kernel is bitching something about "SATA port multiplier" so it's a little strange.
    What kind of server is this? Do you know what is the hardware?

• @Saahib said:
    Already disabled SE linux but no help.

Did you disable selinux in grub ie., by adding selinux=0 in the kernel line ? The link specifically talks about kernel panic on reboot after disabling selinux.

Yes, I tried to disabled selinux=0 through grub and even try to boot in single user, no gain, it stuck to screen I showed.

It is hardware raid as I saw in BIOS, may be it is not properly configured. I doubt if both the drives have fail as I had not deployed any mechanism to check status when any of the drive fails. (Never thought about that :( ).

Now host is asking if you can tell us serial number of hardisk failing then they can rebuild the raid with new disk.. how can I do that if I can't boot ?

• ata3.00: irq_stat 0x08000000, interface fatal error

go to Drive Interface Issues

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/The_Analysis_of_Drive_Issues

also failed to read scr 0 refer to
    https://www.google.rs/search?client=firefox-a&hs=yKP&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&q=failed+to+read+scr+0&spell=1&sa=X&ei=uWLWUuSSCsqthQfKpYGYCw&ved=0CCQQvwUoAA&biw=1280&bih=619

to many interface and read scr error, i doubt if both the drives have fail i hope its card or hdd cable

• XSXXSX Member, Host Rep

the warning no root device
    are you have try back old kernel?

• @Saahib any news?