Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EDIS.AT announces UK KVM
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

EDIS.AT announces UK KVM

AmitzAmitz Member
edited March 2012 in General

Heya,

I have just received the following eMail:

<--- SNIP --->
Hi from Austria!

EDIS is heavily upgrading production-systems and is adding new server locations all the time.

We're proud to announce general availability of our KVM VPS from our London (UK) based infrastructure.

In addition to that we have been pushing performance on London VRS and website hosting to the next level.

All existing clients / vps have been moved to our new infrastructure, to be able to guarantee optimum performance in all locations.

Test-IP: 46.17.57.1

Orders for all locations including the new London KVM can be placed in our shopping cart at https://manage.edis.at/whmcs/cart.php

If you have questions, please feel free to contact us any time.

Cheers,
Gerhard and the entire crew.
<--- SNAP --->

That is what I was waiting for! Maybe the information is useful for some of you, too! :-)
Cheers,
-A

Comments

• A few weeks after us :(

• And i will tell you a secret - they will have IPv6 in London, soon.

Thanked by 2Liam Taylor
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited March 2012

It is really a pity. You (VMPort) do not offer enough included traffic for my needs while edis.at does offer enough included traffic, but not enough disk space.

I think I will have to bake my own cookie one day. :(

@rds100 said: And i will tell you a secret - they will have IPv6 in London, soon.

That is great!

• Ash_HawkridgeAsh_Hawkridge Member
    edited March 2012

@Amitz said: It is really a pity. You (VMPort) do not offer enough included traffic for my needs while edis.at does offer enough included traffic, but not enough disk space.

Thank's for the comments Amitz, we can certainly look into increasing bandwidth. We will have a better idea of what is getting used in the next few days or so.

Its just devastating that we dropped on a gap in the market and then the giant that is edis comes along with the same product a few week after haha

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited March 2012

By the way, Ashley: Do you have a test IP of your UK KVM for me as well as some information about the carriers and the server hardware you use there? I am that happy with your OpenVZ in Germany that I tend to try your KVM services too. Thank you in advance!

• @VMPort said: Its just devastating that we dropped on a gap in the market and then the giant that is edis comes along with the same product a few week after haha

Happens to everyone.

• @liam said: I think Lovevps and Ramhost were already selling KVM here as well though, so not sure where this gap is. (Don't take this the wrong way)

Yes we launched ours in February, when we got in the gap had already been exploited if im honest.

However I do wonder if EDIS automate OS installs like we do? I don't think VMPort do if im correct?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited March 2012

KVM is not good for me, I tend to like more XEN as i am using at work and home along with VMWare. For regular VPS I buy OpenVZ as the choice exactly because I dont have at work or home and they are also cheaper using better the resources and I dont need many features and I am not worried about full separation.
    However, I did notice KVM is on the rise, does anyone care to explain why they prefer it over Xen/VMWare ? Not only on LEBs, just like this, in general.
    M

• flyfly Member

if anything @httpzoom gets knocked to the side considering how they're a newer provider than you @vmport. especially with those 15k SAS drives.

I guess you'll have to woo over the american users with whmcs + solus cp

• @kbar said: if anything @httpzoom gets knocked to the side considering how they're a newer provider than you @vmport. especially with those 15k SAS drives.

I guess you'll have to woo over the american users with whmcs + solus cp

See what I mean ;)

In the lowend market if you are not backed by a larger company then it is extremely hard to keep pushing forward. Most of our clients don't pay these low prices, nor are they hosted on the same hardware. Our main clients consist of cloud based shared, reseller, and VDS's. We are just now reaching another market to continue growth.

There is no way smaller providers will be able to compete with the big guys in price in the longer term.
    They can compete in services, tho, managed, more expensive and fewer VMs will be a good market niche. I mean grandpa wants to share his WWII pictures and run a forum+chat for his comrades and friends, maybe an auction site for memorabilia, etc. I dont know, just gave a made up example, will want a turn-key solution, patched in time and always available.
    He will probably afford 20 bucks a month and wont have a need for a lot of resources, but will need assistance and the big guys will outsource it (cause there is no way to compete with an Indian for which 1 dollar an hour is big money).
    Friendly smaller providers, with a few ppl that know grandpa's problems in detail as well as him as a person will likely be able to make good money in standard support, as well as charge extra for unusual requests, such as longer time over the phone to hear his war stories.
    This is nothing like a SF scenario, more and more ppl want to have content online, the unmanaged solutions are cheap but not many ppl can really use them, a real niche is not in a new technology, but in the plain old support.
    My 2 cents.
    M

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited March 2012

:)

@liam said: EDIS are in a london datacentre, not Hampshire/Cheltenham. They've been planning this for a while as I inquired way back last year but at the time only had VRS and said KVM was in the pipeline for 2012.

Indeed, it was planned since we started VRS in UK even.
    Just had to wait and cut a good colo deal - without the London riots it would have been certainly faster.

@kbar said: if anything @httpzoom gets knocked to the side considering how they're a newer provider than you @vmport. especially with those 15k SAS drives.

FYI, we use 15k 300Gb (or 450Gb 10k HDDs, or 1TB 7,2k) SAS 6Gbit in Raid10 also - depending on availability.

@Maounique said: However, I did notice KVM is on the rise, does anyone care to explain why they prefer it over Xen/VMWare ? Not only on LEBs, just like this, in general.

KVM allows you own Kernels, where as Xen (not Xen HVM) does not - KVM is also in the Linux Kernel directly unlike Xen (so less updates and likely better compatibility) - KVM is also better to manage IMO.

@LV_Matt said: However I do wonder if EDIS automate OS installs like we do? I don't think VMPort do if im correct?

Yes, we have autoinstalls (Kernelparameter/Debconf based, not "cheap DHCP routed") of Debian, Ubuntu, CentOS (of course in different versions and x64+x86) and of course the usual ISO mounting and VNC to Install Windows, *BSD and other OSes that are "not worth" and automatic installer.

• flyfly Member

yeah their auto-installer is pretty boss.

@William said: KVM allows you own Kernels, where as Xen (not Xen HVM) does not - KVM is also in the Linux Kernel directly unlike Xen (so less updates and likely better compatibility) - KVM is also better to manage IMO

Apologies, meant HVM XEN. Ok, thank you for your explanation. I tried KVM in my homelab and didnt look like so easy to manage and setup, as well as through the roof performance, but I am much more used to tweak VMWare and XEN, so I am sure you know better.
    M

• Well it depends, you can have a working KVM setup running in a few minutes - even with GUI to create VPS:
    http://www.howtoforge.com/virtualization-with-kvm-on-a-debian-squeeze-server

• quirkyquarkquirkyquark Member
    edited March 2012

@speckl: Httpzoom is the budget brand of httpsimple, which seems to have been around since at least 2009.

@William: I too am more familiar with Xen HVM and may be wrong here, but I have had NO problems running the latest custom 3.2 kernel (added modules like FUSE, etc.) on a Xen PV machine. IMO you need to compare KVM to HVM (and VMWare...) for an apples-to-apples comparison. So far I have found Xen PV to be an excellent intermediate step between OpenVZ and the full virtualization of the former three -- so long as youre happy with the OS supported on it, you get almost all the benefits of full virtualization without having to bother with setting up from ISO, VT driver issues, etc.

• @LV_Matt said: However I do wonder if EDIS automate OS installs like we do? I don't think VMPort do if im correct?

Yeh, I wonder how you do KVM Templates like I did with SolusVM. ;)

• @Daniel said: Yeh, I wonder how you do KVM Templates like I did with SolusVM. ;)

I wonder how you came across them :)

• Too mainstream. We'll discuss when they start selling VPS' in Antarctica.

@breton said: Too mainstream. We'll discuss when they start selling VPS' in Antarctica.

Hum, that would be a cool idea, I think better than putting servers on planes or something :P There can be wind powered servers with back-up generators for the rare calms, no government to snoop around, I think we need something like RIPE or ARIN for antarctica too !
    M

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited March 2012

Look, if you get redundant fiber to Antarctica, i will assign you an IP subnet for free.

• Satellite is too expensive and too high latency. We were paying $3-4k/Mbps for one-way satellite downlink 15 years ago. I don't know what are the satellite prices today, but they wouldn't be much cheaper than this.
    And i doubt the law would be a problem, if there is someone willing to finance all this :)

• @liam said: Seen as Antarctica is split up between Argentina, Australia, Chile, France, Great Britain, New Zealand, Norway and other parts are unclaimed. If your server was hosted in Norwegian Antarctica then you would claim through RIPE however if your server was hosted in Chilean Antarctica then you would claim through LACNIC.

Well Argentina dosen't own any of Antartica, their trying to claim a part which is already claimed, similar to the Fawklands.

• @Daniel said: similar to the Fawklands.

The Falklands (Malvinas islands) do belong to Argentina though. Britain stole it/Colonised.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited March 2012

@breton said: Too mainstream. We'll discuss when they start selling VPS' in Antarctica.

If you really want i have a machine in a base there that i manage, connected to a beefy 655Mbit Sat link to Norway - i just neither have IPs nor the permission to run VPS on it...
    Anyway, next plans are again more exotic - South America and Middle east + Asia :)

Thanked by 1NanoG6
  • @William said: next plans are again more exotic - South America and Middle east + Asia :)

How about iceland ? :D

• @DanielM said: The Falklands (Malvinas islands) do belong to Argentina though. Britain stole it/Colonised.

The British Colonised the Falklands before Argentina was even a state.

http://www.lamit.ro/two-way-satellite-internet-prices-idirect-cband.htm
    Some prices for satellite bw. It is expensive in Romania, but not in US/UK/etc.

@Daniel said: The British Colonised the Falklands before Argentina was even a state.

The romans colonised England before the Vikings were around. So the italians own England and Walles, the Vikings Scotland and the celts Ireland.
    UK doesnt have more right in the Malvinas than the portuguese or indonesians in west timor. However, atm they do have the military might and technological superiority there, same as Israel with US help. What will happen when those things will change, is not hard to imagine.
    M

• @Maounique said: The romans colonised England before the Vikings were around. So the italians own England and Walles, the Vikings Scotland and the celts Ireland.

Romans left England, then the Anglo-Saxons came and thats where most people in the UK originate from. Hence why England is called England, we we're called "Angle-Land"

• @Maounique said: UK doesnt have more right in the Malvinas than the portuguese or indonesians in west timor. However, atm they do have the military might and technological superiority there, same as Israel with US help. What will happen when those things will change, is not hard to imagine.

What about the self-determination of the residents? They have their human rights.