Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

how to create a snapshot or image on a xen windows vps
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

how to create a snapshot or image on a xen windows vps

Hello! i would like to know how to create a snapshot or image from a win vps server, running on Xen.

I dont have access to node, and that option is not available on my solusvm panel.

any suggestion?

thanks

Comments

• Hard to make a snapshot then, if the host don't offer it. One option is creating a disk image with etc. Acronis True Image (I'm sure there is lots of free software that do the same). But then you have to at least have a second partition on your server that have enough free space to store your complete system partition.
    Then you can download the Acronis Image.
    But it will not be a 100% real snapshot, for you has to have access like KVM over IP or something to run Acronis, and have access to the backup file to restore it on your VPS again.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Ask the host to add a clonezilla iso you cant snapshot your own disk image from within the disk image but you can make a clonezilla image that you can then restore on another node with clonezilla afterwards.

Or you know... windows full image backup from within the OS :)

• Still, he needs a extra disk or a partition with space to store the image ;)

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

If you can mount an external drive (you can't write to the same disk you are taking an image of) you can use http://www.drivesnapshot.de/en/
    Which can take snapshots of live systems.

• Life is hard....nothing comes easy. :D
    Change to a host that offer snapshots, or use cloud service like iwStack.com or Digital Ocean, they you will never have any issue with doing snapshots.

• great, let me try and ill post.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

or.... here is a thought... just ask your host to take a snapshot of your disk image for you and make it available to download? :)

They might not do it for free but I am sure they will do it.