Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Using Lantronix KVM Console
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Using Lantronix KVM Console

tijatija Member

I have been trying to use Lantronix KVM and it has been a pain to use so far. The problem is that whenever I enter vim, the input to the console (Java console) will be sent multiple keyboard input such as viiimmm. Tried using the soft keyboard with same result.

I feel that there must be something wrong with my setup. Keyboard input shouldn't be this hard. Am I missing something? Is there an alternative?

Comments

• I don't think thats a problem at your side. I always have the same problem myself when using Lantronix. Some people say they're latency issues, but I tried running them from a VPS(using x2go) in the same location as the server that the Lantronix KVM was attached to, did not really stop the multiple input issue. Maybe you could ask your provider if they have a different KVM over IP module for you to use.

Thanked by 1tija
  • VirtovoVirtovo Member
    edited January 2014

It's likely caused by high latency. What latency are we talking about between you and the unit?

Look in the settings there should be something to let you adjust the timeout period. I think it's labelled as release timeout (I don't have access to a device at the moment to verify)

EDIT:

OK, I've found the setting in this manual: http://www.adiglobal.cz/iiWWW/docs.nsf/all/87953C7E0E857988C12575620055E2E3/$FILE/Spider_UG.pdf

Search for key release timeout in the document linked above. It will show you how to use it.

Thanked by 1tija
  • The latency is certainly high. It is around 200ms. Will it help if I start the KVM on a server closer to the XVM unit?

• @tija said:
    The latency is certainly high. It is around 200ms. Will it help if I start the KVM on a server closer to the XVM unit?

Try the key release setting I mentioned in the previous reply.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

Virtovo said: Try the key release setting I mentioned in the previous reply.

Yes, definitely try this. It makes a big difference with the Lantronix Spiders.

Thanked by 1tija
  • Thanks for the tip. Asking provider to let me change those settings that are currently not available to me.

• While waiting for the permission to edit settings, gave the VNC workaround a try. It is working flawlessly now. :)