Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1TB Backup Storage from mail.ru (anyone used?) - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

1TB Backup Storage from mail.ru (anyone used?)

Comments

• I have various large storage solutions through these places. TenCent gave away 10tb. I just picked up the 1tb from mail.ru. QVIVO gave away unlimited for a while, but it's for media files only, under 2gb. Hive.IM is still off line going from beta to full service.

My issue is how to use them and organize them.

• @dazedandconfused said:
    Fast googling shows that they disabled it, dunno why :(.

Just install the desktop app. It's a requirement to get the 1TB anyway. Or install any of their other apps.

• I have read that webdav was there and it was test, they say it will be up soon, so lets hope it wont last long till they enable this option.

• mpkossen said: Awesome! And I may even learn some Russian on the way ;-)

IMHO, Russian is one of the most beautiful languages in the world. :)

Thanked by 2mpkossen tux
  • @mpkossen said:
    Just install the desktop app. It's a requirement to get the 1TB anyway. Or install any of their other apps.

I'd like to use [email protected] for taking automatic backups from my WD MyBook Live, so WebDAV or headless client would be really, really good ^^.

• wiffelwiffel Member
    edited January 2014

@dazedandconfused said: ... headless client would be really, really good ^^.

Just tried to do the same thing and got it to work (a bit) on my server.

You only need the GUI once to login and mark some folder that needs to be synced.

That info is saved in ~/.Mail.Ru_Cloud. That holds your account name, the folder to sync and an encrypted version of the password. There is also another (empty) file .Mail.Ru_Cloud-username1. I'm not sure what that is for.

I ran the cloud application (with the GUI) on my desktop linux and copied over these files to my home directory on a server, changed the folder name to something else and ran the cloud application on the (headless) server. That failed because it did not find a DISPLAY.

But running it with a very small Xvfb display worked fine. So I ran it like this:

Xvfb :11 -screen 0 1x1x8 &
      DISPLAY=:11 ./cloud &

That seems to be working fine.

I'm not too sure about the usefulness though. It only syncs an existing folder. I don't see how I could use that as a backup mechanism.

• got mine, thanks

• I've test this backup server, so far I'm happy with them. Still in progress uploading 20 gb data

• edited January 2014

dazedandconfused said: P.S. Asked Mail.ru via Twitter about WebDAV access, will post here if I get any reply.

Well, their answer was:
    "webDAV will be available when we release that feature, for the time being it's in test mode. No ETA".

• Some details about 1TB from Mail.ru after more than 1 year of using:

1) the download/upload speed is not limited. I have a 30 Mbps bandwidth which is fully used when I download/upload something to Mail.ru cloud

2) you can use a browser to download or upload something. There is no need to install their software. The maximum size of the file you can upload using a browser is 2 GB.

3) you will not have to pay the company for the storage never! Free for life!

4) you can tie you mobile phone number to the account for the security reasons and any changes to the account will be possible just using the sms-codes to that number

5) the interface is in English

You can test download speed using these links:

192MB 75MB 9MB map

Please, let us know the speed you obtained, and maybe your country.

I have new Mail.ru accounts with 1 TB space which were never used.
    If you want one, please, contact me at 1024cloud(dog)gmail.com I can change them for something interesting.

• DevilDevil Member

I actually tried to find the English page. /sighs

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

yay storage space paid for by the Russian equivalent of the NSA

• n0myn0my Member

So I'm not getting any 1TB... I've tried their android and PC app. It still shows 25GB.

• mintmint Member

@n0my said:
    So I'm not getting any 1TB... I've tried their android and PC app. It still shows 25GB.

Look at the date, Jan 2014.

• n0myn0my Member

Ah my bad. I didn't realise someone bumped it.

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

I have a 1 TB account and I am more than happy with it.

• Going a little off topic but the windows client appears to be infected

• chrispchrisp Member
    edited March 2015

Anyone knows some great deals in the western world right now? I can only find chinese cloud storage with crazy amounts of space, but the speed is too low to actually use it.

Best would be if it's also accessable via WebDAV or any other non-proprietary protocol :)

• chrisp said: Anyone knows some great deals in the western world right now?

Are you talking free or paid services?

• Well, free. I have a lot paid services already (500gb OVH for 4€ and such)

• @Devil said:
    I actually tried to find the English page. /sighs

The Cloud Mail.ru clients for Android, iOS and Windows Phone are in English when you install them.

@Radi said:
    I have a 1 TB account and I am more than happy with it.

Yes, wonderful speed, no limits for download/upload

@chrisp said:
    Anyone knows some great deals in the western world right now? I can only find chinese cloud storage with crazy amounts of space, but the speed is too low to actually use it.

Best would be if it's also accessable via WebDAV or any other non-proprietary protocol :)

Mail.ru will offer WebDAV for all users in 1 month. That will be wonderful !

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

1024cloud said: Yes, wonderful speed, no limits for download/upload

1024cloud said: That will be wonderful !

And of course your opinions are in no way affected by the fact that you're selling or trading those very 1TB accounts, and even have your username indicate something along the lines of this being your singular purpose on this forum

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

I tried to get on board of Chinese services, was unable to register lol.

• rm_ said: And of course your opinions are in no way affected by the fact that you're selling or trading those very 1TB accounts

That sucks, although I have to admit I would pay 5$ for an account with 1tb. It's just too tempting :(

• @Radi said:
    I tried to get on board of Chinese services, was unable to register lol.

It is not the only bad thing in Chinese services. Download speed is often limited to 50-100 kbps. Also limited by traffic.
    I can tell you, my download speed is limited only by bandwidth offered to me by provider. Please, test
    75MB and if you can, please, tell us about your speed.

Service is offered by the biggest Russian IT company Mail.ru Group. Because of that the apps for iPhone, Android and PC are regularly updated. You can keep there anything: music, films, cryptocontainers.
    I will answer any question you want. Will change 1 account for something interesting (not Chinese cloud service).

• I can't get 1TB anymore... already registered & downloaded iOS app. Anyone can help?

• tommytommy Member

chrisp said: Anyone knows some great deals in the western world right now?

10 TB from OneDrive for each Office 365 account, sadly they don't have Linux client, before someone tell me, yes I know about 'onedrive-d'

• @MichaelBui said:
    I can't get 1TB anymore... already registered & downloaded iOS app. Anyone can help?

You can't get 1TB anymore. Just 25GB. Only who was registered January 2014 received 1TB storage free for life.

@tommy said:
    10 TB from OneDrive for each Office 365 account, sadly they don't have Linux client

This 1TB will be $9.99 every month, not free. 10TB = $99.99

• tommytommy Member

yup, not free about $40/year + Office License. I paid $70/year for home premium (5 user).

Sorry but I got 10 TB :D, you can't get everything for free!!