Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1TB Backup Storage from mail.ru (anyone used?)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

1TB Backup Storage from mail.ru (anyone used?)

deployvmdeployvm Member, Provider
edited January 2014 in General

Hello,

I found that mail.ru is offering 1TB of cloud file storage. Have anyone used this before?

The URL is: https://cloud.mail.ru/promo/
It looks like you need to download and install their application on your Windows/Linux or mobile device.

Thanks.

Comments

• where's their server located?

Let's bet which dot-name will collapse first ;)

• deployvmdeployvm Member, Provider
    edited January 2014

I believe is in Russia.

They also operate their own ASN: http://bgp.he.net/AS47764

• Not using/registered till now! But maybe...

Anyone selling Blesta Owned Lifetime Under $250? | Regards.

• Tried it just now. Signed up for mail, downloaded the Android app (which thankfully has English translation built in), and received my 1 TB free.

The app is pretty nice, compared to Dropbox. Has generation of public links etc.

C, Bash, Perl, Python, PHP, and JS hobbyist. VPS collector. Blog

• If some of these companies had a linux uploader like Copy, life would be great and I could store backups forever :)

• I love their website. :D

• Do they have an API?

This signature wasted 121 bytes of your data allocation.

https://nixstats.com/report/56b53d6465689e44598b4567

• AFAIK, they also provide webdav access https://webdav.cloud.mail.ru

• you can also get 1tb from yun.baidu.com or 36tb at yunpan.cn

• Tammy said: 36tb at yunpan.cn

Those are probably "Chinese TB", which equals some MB in real life.

-

• Tried registering, but it says "Выберите город из списка" or "Select a city from the list".

There is no list of cities!

• imlonghaoimlonghao Member
    edited January 2014

@Tammy said:
    you can also get 1tb from yun.baidu.com or 36tb at yunpan.cn

I have 3TB in yun.baidu.com,I try to backup my data to it via API but I found that it is too slow to do that,just 150+kb/s......

• tuxtux Member

@NateN34 said:
    Tried registering, but it says "Выберите город из списка" or "Select a city from the list".

There is no list of cities!

If you live outside Russian Federation, you don't need fill this field.

Thanked by 1NateN34
  • @tommy said:
    where's their server located?

In Netherlands. Don't know why not in Russia.

Always trying to be negative ^^.

• MuZoMuZo Member
    edited January 2014

@dazedandconfused what did you entered as username? I tried [email protected] and just name but I always get 403 forbidden. Using davfs.

• I'.m using their service and I think it's pretty good. The Up- and Downloads are okay and the interface is also nice

• GaNiGaNi Member
    edited January 2014

Yandex Disk has an API but not 1TB storage. Been using it for couple of months, it's good. It has an English interface too.

• MuZo said: @dazedandconfused what did you entered as username? I tried [email protected] and just name but I always get 403 forbidden. Using davfs.

I've never used access via webdav, tbh, so unfortunately I can't help you with that issue.

• SpiritSpirit Disabled
    edited January 2014

@MuZo said:
    dazedandconfused what did you entered as username? I tried [email protected] and just name but I always get 403 forbidden. Using davfs.

Please report if you figure out how to log in. I may be interested then too. It's nothing easier than quick pushing some files from vps to cloud storage via webdav (if there would be just command-line client like Cadaver capable to push folders, but that's the different story...).

• edited January 2014

Spirit said: Please report if you figure out how to log in. I may be interested then too. It's nothing easier than quick pushing some files from vps to cloud storage via webdav (if there would be just text based client like Cadaver capable to push folders, but that's the different story...).

Yandex.Disc have both these features:
    Text-based client for linux
    WebDAV access

P.S. Asked Mail.ru via Twitter about WebDAV access, will post here if I get any reply.

Thanked by 1Spirit
  • @dazedandconfused said:
    P.S. Asked Mail.ru via Twitter about WebDAV access, will post here if I get any reply.

AFAIK WebDav in the stage of development here at this moment.

• Inglar said: AFAIK WebDav in the stage of development here at this moment.

It seems that webDAV was working for some time ( e.g. ), but then it was disabled.

• TammyTammy Member
    edited January 2014

@rds100 said:

mail.ru is the same,i often backcup my wordpress blog to yun.baidu.com via wp2pcs

• TammyTammy Member
    edited January 2014

@imlonghao said:
    I have 3TB in yun.baidu.com,I try to backup my data to it via API but I found that it is too slow to do that,just 150+kb/s......

i know,all your vps are in usa!

• @skybucks100 said:
    If some of these companies had a linux uploader like Copy, life would be great and I could store backups forever :)

[email protected], in fact, have linux client - https://desktopcloud.cdnmail.ru/linux/{amd64,i386}/cloud

• MuZoMuZo Member
    edited January 2014

I didn't managed to login, @dazedandconfused the linux client need a GUI, there is no command line version

• TammyTammy Member
    edited January 2014

@MuZo said:
    I didn't managed to login, dazedandconfused the linux client need a GUI, there is no command line version

You could uploud to yun.baidu.com via http://www.oott123.com/bpcs_uploader/
    this is command line version

• Awesome! And I may even learn some Russian on the way ;-)

I recommend Prometeus, the best provider ever!

• anyone have succeeded login with webdav?

• dragz said: anyone have succeeded login with webdav?

Fast googling shows that they disabled it, dunno why :(.

• I have various large storage solutions through these places. TenCent gave away 10tb. I just picked up the 1tb from mail.ru. QVIVO gave away unlimited for a while, but it's for media files only, under 2gb. Hive.IM is still off line going from beta to full service.

My issue is how to use them and organize them.

• @dazedandconfused said:
    Fast googling shows that they disabled it, dunno why :(.

Just install the desktop app. It's a requirement to get the 1TB anyway. Or install any of their other apps.

I recommend Prometeus, the best provider ever!

• I have read that webdav was there and it was test, they say it will be up soon, so lets hope it wont last long till they enable this option.

• mpkossen said: Awesome! And I may even learn some Russian on the way ;-)

IMHO, Russian is one of the most beautiful languages in the world. :)

Thanked by 2mpkossen tux

Happy to be alive and kicking!

• @mpkossen said:
    Just install the desktop app. It's a requirement to get the 1TB anyway. Or install any of their other apps.

I'd like to use [email protected] for taking automatic backups from my WD MyBook Live, so WebDAV or headless client would be really, really good ^^.

• wiffelwiffel Member
    edited January 2014

@dazedandconfused said: ... headless client would be really, really good ^^.

Just tried to do the same thing and got it to work (a bit) on my server.

You only need the GUI once to login and mark some folder that needs to be synced.

That info is saved in ~/.Mail.Ru_Cloud. That holds your account name, the folder to sync and an encrypted version of the password. There is also another (empty) file .Mail.Ru_Cloud-username1. I'm not sure what that is for.

I ran the cloud application (with the GUI) on my desktop linux and copied over these files to my home directory on a server, changed the folder name to something else and ran the cloud application on the (headless) server. That failed because it did not find a DISPLAY.

But running it with a very small Xvfb display worked fine. So I ran it like this:

Xvfb :11 -screen 0 1x1x8 &
      DISPLAY=:11 ./cloud &

That seems to be working fine.

I'm not too sure about the usefulness though. It only syncs an existing folder. I don't see how I could use that as a backup mechanism.

• got mine, thanks

Shared: Smallweb | VPS: NexusBytes, HostHatch, Evolution-Host

• I've test this backup server, so far I'm happy with them. Still in progress uploading 20 gb data

Let's bet which dot-name will collapse first ;)

• edited January 2014

dazedandconfused said: P.S. Asked Mail.ru via Twitter about WebDAV access, will post here if I get any reply.

Well, their answer was:
    "webDAV will be available when we release that feature, for the time being it's in test mode. No ETA".

• Let's bet which dot-name will collapse first ;)

• Some details about 1TB from Mail.ru after more than 1 year of using:

1) the download/upload speed is not limited. I have a 30 Mbps bandwidth which is fully used when I download/upload something to Mail.ru cloud

2) you can use a browser to download or upload something. There is no need to install their software. The maximum size of the file you can upload using a browser is 2 GB.

3) you will not have to pay the company for the storage never! Free for life!

4) you can tie you mobile phone number to the account for the security reasons and any changes to the account will be possible just using the sms-codes to that number

5) the interface is in English

You can test download speed using these links:

192MB 75MB 9MB map

Please, let us know the speed you obtained, and maybe your country.

I have new Mail.ru accounts with 1 TB space which were never used.
    If you want one, please, contact me at 1024cloud(dog)gmail.com I can change them for something interesting.

• DevilDevil Member

I actually tried to find the English page. /sighs

Looking for a cheap (2-3 year pricing), reliable, reputed, low b/w, good CPU/RAM, low storage KVM/SSD VPS for strictly personal/individual VPN/etc use.

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

yay storage space paid for by the Russian equivalent of the NSA

(((o(゚▽゚)o))) If privacy is outlawed, only outlaws will have privacy. (((o(゚▽゚)o)))

ヽ(`Д´)ノ Everyone should run Tor on their idle servers.

• n0myn0my Member

So I'm not getting any 1TB... I've tried their android and PC app. It still shows 25GB.

• mintmint Member

@n0my said:
    So I'm not getting any 1TB... I've tried their android and PC app. It still shows 25GB.

Look at the date, Jan 2014.

-

• n0myn0my Member

Ah my bad. I didn't realise someone bumped it.

• RadiRadi Member, Provider

I have a 1 TB account and I am more than happy with it.

4 GB RAM/90 GB SSD/4 TB Traffic/KVM/1 IPv4 for $7/mo only here with coupon code "LET-It-GO".

• Going a little off topic but the windows client appears to be infected

tridoxium.pw My little blog-like website thingamajig

• chrispchrisp Member
    edited March 2015

Anyone knows some great deals in the western world right now? I can only find chinese cloud storage with crazy amounts of space, but the speed is too low to actually use it.

Best would be if it's also accessable via WebDAV or any other non-proprietary protocol :)

• chrisp said: Anyone knows some great deals in the western world right now?

Are you talking free or paid services?