Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why should I change from CentOS to Debian? (if any reason) - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why should I change from CentOS to Debian? (if any reason)

13»

Comments

• Wow, only 0.435% is using PHP 5.5.x on their WordPress installations... maybe I should only have upgraded to PHP 5.4.x?
    Any way to downgrade?

But on the other side, my sites seems to be working. Most of my sites is not updated very often, and no site is any high load sites.

• Whelp, that puts me in the same boat at myhken, then cuz I'm running PHP 5.5.8 with no problems...

• @CharlesA said:
    Whelp, that puts me in the same boat at myhken, then cuz I'm running PHP 5.5.8 with no problems...

After all this work, from several members, including you, and @Prometeus and @tdttester I think I will stay with PHP 5.5.8.
    But anybody know, will there be any issue only using PHP 5.3.x on my backup servers?

• @myhken said:
    But anybody know, will there be any issue only using PHP 5.3.x on my backup servers?

I don't know, but I wouldn't mix versions, that's for sure. Upgrade the backup box to 5.5.8 so everything is on the same version. Take a backup of the working config before you upgrade, though.

• I have backups of backups of the backups...so I'm safe there. I will follow your advice and upgrade my backup servers also then.
    Luckily I can setup any new VPS within 30-40 minutes fully uploaded with all my sites and settings if everything goes wrong.

• I have used both centos and debian in high end production platforms where the product has required upwards of 400 servers. Personal at the end of the day I am a debian lover Packages make sense to me easier to get my self out of weird dependence loops and lots of fun bleeding edge companies are building debs now to support ubuntu/debian systems (docker requires kernel +3.8) . But in all honestly when it comes to easy configuration management centos is the way to go packages will rarely change under you once you have it setup you will be fine.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • I conclude with there is no large group of LET members in this thread that advice my changing from CentOS to Debian. So I will keep CentOS on my servers.
    I have solved my main issue, PHP, so I can't see any good reason why I should use lots of time learning Debian, and then change all my servers to Debian.
    I'm sure Debian is a good system for them that uses it, but I don't think it's something for me, at this point.

Thank you for all the inputs.

• I use Debian on my production servers, but only cuz it's what I'm most familiar with. I could spend time to learn RH or Scientific if I wanted to because there are several differences between the two flavors, but in the end, I'll stick with what I know and what I support.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • myhkenmyhken Member
    edited January 2014

I discovered one more problem upgrading fra PHP 5.3 to 5.5, and it was that my database backup software (I'm using Navicat MySQL) was not working. I only got the error:
    Error Code : 1548 Cannot load from mysql.proc. The table is probably corrupted

It's a simple fix that I had to run on all servers, but then it worked again.

mysql_upgrade -u root -p

Edit:
    Just found out that my automatic scheduled Virtualmin backups had stopped also, because of the same error.
    dump failed! mysqldump: Couldn't execute 'SHOW FUNCTION STATUS WHERE Db = '1_etage'': Cannot load from mysql.proc. The table is probably corrupted (1548)

So it's important to run the mysql_upgrade command right after you have upgraded from PHP 5.3 to 5.5