Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why are my VPS servers filling up with mails/messages with Virtualmin?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why are my VPS servers filling up with mails/messages with Virtualmin?

I have been using Virtualmin for almost two years now, and I'm pretty happy with it. Before I always used Plesk, but now I have no need for it.
But I have seen a strange thing on my VPS servers for a long time now. The following three directories fills up with messages files. After a few months the folders can take several GB of space.

/var/spool/postfix/maildrop/
/root/Maildir/new/
/var/log/maillog

I'm not using my servers for any mail at all. The first thing I disable on Virtualmin is Mail for domain, Mailman, dovecot and postfix (disabled on bootup).
In my firewall (CSF) I have removed all mail ports (like 25, 110, 143, 585, 993 and 995)

Still, the three named directories fills up with files. All small, but the total numbers is enormous.

My solution to this has been to use a small script that runs every hour, on every VPS server I have. It's a simple rm -f and the directories.
The issue happens on all old and new servers I install. Can't find the real issue here.
How can I stop this from happening?

I'm using CentOS 6.x on all servers and Virtualmin 4.04.

Comments

• It's probably cron messages.

Edit your crontab:

crontab -e

At the top of the file, enter:

MAILTO=""

That will disable cron emails.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • Have you ever read those mails? You are using CSF on your servers, right? All those mails are warnings and error messages generated by CSF and LFD, and there is nothing to be worried about. You can just purge your mailbox and maillog if they start occupying too much space.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • it might be a quick n' dirty fix but you could change permissions of those folders to not writeable?

maybe that would work.

• @Mark_R said:
    it might be a quick n' dirty fix but you could change permissions of those folders to not writeable?

maybe that would work.

And that will not mess up anything?

• @myhken said:
    And that will not mess up anything?

I dont think so, if its poorly coded it might be filling up ur RAM memory and keep trying to store the logs even if its not possible, you really have to try it and confirm, dont take my word for it.

• The good thing about using iwStack.com's cloud solution is that I can create new servers just for testing some few days, then delete it. So I will do just that to see if it work.

Will also test out the crontab -e trick.

• @myhken said:
    The good thing about using iwStack.com's cloud solution is that I can create new servers just for testing some few days, then delete it. So I will do just that to see if it work.

Will also test out the crontab -e trick.

another thing i forgot to mention is that it might will drop the logs in another folder because the default ones arent writeable, i doubt this will be happening but keep it in mind.

Thanked by 1myhken