Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ipkvm abilities (what cheap providers offer this?)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ipkvm abilities (what cheap providers offer this?)

tomgophertomgopher Member
edited January 2014 in General

Hi,
I'm curious as to what kind of ipkvm abilities one can get in a cheap dedi box. In an ideal world I would be able to get a dedi box that I can reboot via an api and maybe even image the harddrive via api.

How far is what's available from this? What is the monthly price range for something with a cpu made in the last 3 years with some sort of ipmi/ipkvm/whatever-this-thing-is-called?

I'm looking for something with >=8gb of ram and >80gb of storage in USA. Bandwidth doesn't have to be flatrate.

Comments

• Most IPMI have KVM with them. But someone on my thread regarding some issues I had, showed a way to mount an ISO remotely from a source from SSH. You can do something like that with iPXE and ipmitools to remotely start and stop as well as load images.

A possibility.

• IPMI doesn't automatically reinstall a server. That's a different thing.

• @rds100 said:
    IPMI doesn't automatically reinstall a server. That's a different thing.

It will require some interaction, but with IPMITools you may be able to streamline some of it.

• For automatically reinstlling servers (with web interface) you can look at some ready system, like noc-ps.

• So what are some of the cheap providers that offer raw ipmi or intel amt? And what are their rates.